Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Starbursts --Complete Rewrite this time

Author Topic: Starbursts --Complete Rewrite this time
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Removed because I have once again revised the opening, it is below.

Hopefully this last one is the keeper.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited September 14, 2005).]

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I am not bothered by 1st person narrative in which the narrator dies; I've never needed the conceit that the narrator is sitting back with a snifter of brandy relating the tale. I'm comfortable with it being what's going on in the narrator's mind at the time of the events. This is, however, a big issue for a number of other people, so you're right to question it.

Second, there's no reason why you can't make 3rd person just as deep inside the character's heads as first person; for me it is easier to do 3rd deep than 1st, because the 1st person narrator tends to grate on me. In my stuff; maybe you can pull it off. I'm not very good at 1st. But it's not true that 1st person inherently puts you deeper in the character's head; it's a lot of work to do it right.

Third, I'm just surprised and amused to see you with such a potty mouth! Go Autumn!

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited September 13, 2005).]

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of getting into the story, I found myself wondering if the protagonist spent the time between his arrest and the start of his sentence reading up on Starbursts.

When he steals them, he knows nothing about them beyond their value, yet now he knows they were used to treat an illness he had as a child. That didn't work for me. I think the exposition about why Starbursts are valuable can probably wait. It isn't germane to this stage of the story.

I often read stories that have a coda at the end, and they annoy me. That's just me, mind. I think keep it in the same tense for the protagonist's death--I don't see it being a problem.

There's a nice irony in someone who stole Starbursts being sentenced to gathering them. Made me wonder if he was going to escape with a shipment of them after all...but not when he's dead, I guess!

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Beth. My mom is pretty mad at me for the few bad words in the last version. I don't think I would show her this one.

The other thing to consider with the language is that ideally I would like to sell this to OSC, and he already told me the zine would probably not be rated R.

So I guess I have to tone it down again.

I'm just so torn as to what's appropriate for this story.

Normally, I don't write about shit too much, so the language isn't an issue. After this story, I probably won't write another one like it for that reason. It really does bother me. But I want to be true to the character in this instance.

Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
This version definitely grabbed my attention faster than the previous one. It even made me laugh! Perhaps I've become immune to bad language, but the word you're concerned about is usually considered "PG-13", not "R" in most circles. As some sociologists have pointed out, scatological words aren't nearly as taboo as words having to do with sexual functions.

So, what to do? If this word is a regular part of your character's lexicon, then it really shouldn't be watered it down; but if it's not true to the story, or hinders your creativity in any way, then don't use it.

The only thing that broke the narrative for me was the last two lines, where it felt that info might've been revealed too soon. (But that's just my take.)

Other than that, I thought this was a very effective opening.

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited September 13, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I'd get the story written to my satisfaction before I worried too much about whether to show it to my mom, or where I was going to sell it. So if the future of this story is one of the things that's hanging you up, find a way to block that off so you can focus on the task at hand.

Here, hand those concerns over to me. I'll be your designated worrier if you want. I shall begin fretting immediately.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, Autumn? After that link that OSC put on the site a few months ago--that mpg video comedy thing with the comedian using the f-word every 3 seconds--I'd not worry too much about a little swearing in trying to sell a story to him.

But not having read it yet...

Actually, I'd be delighted to read your next go-round with this one, so put me on your short list, if you would.

As far as the tense change right at the end, I think I'd be thrown a bit. I could ALMOST handle a POV shift instead, but I have yet to read a story that shifts from 1st to 3rd that I liked. Gosh. I don't know. Maybe I should just wait to read it first?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I don't know. There's something in the style you've went for here which niggles me. It feels kind of clunky and forced. Most of it's okay, but the sentences in the first half of the opening paragraph felt leaden.

Make absolutely sure, right from the outset, that you can hear your story's voice. I've said this elsewhere, but I believe that the biggest reason for busted stories is because the writer didn't, or couldn't, hear the voice of their story.

So be certain that you're comfortable with the way that you're choosing to tell this story. If so, if you feel confident about it, then great. If not, then don't jump in: you'll only cheap the story if you do and end up wasting your time whilst doing it.

But I know you can do it. You've done it before and you'll do it again. Best way to know if it's going right is if you're having fun writing it. The process of writing should be giddy and mischievous - hey, I'm making stuff up out of whole-cloth here; ain't this a gas?! If it doesn't feel that way, if you're simply plowing ahead and it feels like a job that needs doing then that's when you know you've gone awry somewhere and have to rethink what it is you're presently trying to write.

So, anyway, get back to work soldier! I want you to run 20 kilometers, puke up your guts and then field-strip a tank!! And make sure you have fun while yer doin' it -that's an order!!! Over and out.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the switch into present tense will ONLY work if the MC is, in fact, writing or speaking this entire story, and gets to the present.

An entire story in 1st person present does not bother me, much, in theory--I consider it stream of consciousness--but I generally dislike the experience of reading it.

I'd vote for a return to 3rd person, and second Beth's comments.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

The votes are in. It's back to 3rd person, which ultimately I think will work the best. I've been working on the rewrite all day. My goal is to finish it by Thursday at the latest.
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a much stronger opening. It definitely grabs the reader more, and gives a better, more immediate impression of your POV characters' mentality. I'm wondering if it will be hard to maintain this narrator's persona throughout the story though? As I think Beth mentioned -- first person is hard to get right, and maintain throughout the whole story line, especially if you are uncomfortable with the character's language.

It can work though. I think if you build the story to a climax in the past tense, and then switch to the present tense right afterwards -- like when he is left for dead -- the transition would be fine. Basically, he was reviewing his past up to this point, and now he is facing the consequences of his actions.

If you are more comfortable writing in the 3rd person, and would rather stay out of the character's mind, I think you can still make it work that way as well. It's a great story line -- you just need to find the right way to tell it.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Yay, I finished the re-write tonight! I just pushed through and got it done. It feels wonderful. And I'm pretty happy with what I've done. I felt like I was true to myself, as well as to the characters.

Here are the revised revised revised first thirteen, back in 3rd POV:

quote:
The thing on the stalagmite looked vaguely like frosting flowers squirted from a pastry tube. Though frosting didn’t emanate a sickly greenish glow, nor smell like . . .
“Shit,” Merk said.
“Valuable, alien shit,” said Davchek.
“If I’d known that’s what starbursts were made of, I never would’ve tried to steal that shipment up top.”
“But then we would’ve been deprived of your presence.” Davchek’s tone was even and mild, but Merk wanted to punch him already. He hated being made fun of. This was only the first day of his life sentence, Jann’s too, in the hideous bowels of the planet named after its most valuable commodity. But as soon as Merk figured out a bit of the ropes around here he’d take Davchek down a peg.

Hopefully this works better!

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited September 14, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I think this is a more engaging opening, more story oriented. There's more at stake than there was before. I like the way that "Jann" is introduced, just two words (though I would have gone with "and Jann's too") but it's enough of a connection that I want to know who Jann is and how he/she figures into Merk's past and plans.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, even better!

I read somewhere that "vaguely" can water down a simile, but feel free to disregard that vague recollection.

This was definitely the best version thus far.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Koehler
Member # 2758

- posted      Profile for Guy Koehler   Email Guy Koehler         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing on the stalagmite looked vaguely like frosting flowers squirted from a pastry tube. Though
frosting didn’t emanate a sickly greenish glow, nor smell like . . .

// I don’t think hiding the identity of the “thing” adds complexity or mystery to the story, but I’m guessing, because I haven’t read any further than this. My strongest clue is that you very quickly, in these first lines identify it explicitly as “alien shit”, which is a very strong and memorable image. I am also intrigued by the stalagmite, and the eerie glow. Does it glow in the dark? without light? What sort of creature leaves this defecation behind? These are all excellent questions to raise in my mind, as they encourage me to read further to discover their answers. I would replace “thing” and “looked vaguely like” with verbiage which explicitly describes it. I also think “squirted from a pastry tube” is an excellent descriptive, though a tighter descriptive might be “a squirted pastry tube flower pulsing intermittently with a sickly greenish glow.”

// “frosting” is used twice, but in the original text only serves as the opposite of what it is, not a direct description of what it actually is.

// Perhaps, “The stalagmite was covered with squirted pastry-tube flowers pulsing with an intermittent sickly-green glow. The smell was unmistakably...”

“Shit,” Merk said.
“Valuable, alien shit,” said Davchek.

// I love these two lines. They introduce the two main characters. I assume they are main because they are identified in the first paragraphs. I might be disenchanted if at least one of them is not. There is strong characterization, introduction of the commodity, and the SFF element. That they do so briefly (tightly) is a bonus. I also like the names. They are 1-2 syllables, and easy to recognize and pronounce, while uniquely not contemporary.

“If I’d known that’s what starbursts were made of, I never would’ve tried to steal that shipment up top.”

// I’m not convinced I would buy this statement. I assume his motivation for “stealing” it was because it is valuable. I somehow doubt the revelation of what it is would have changed his original motivation, especially given he could not smell or have to handle it - or he would have noticed it before now. Had he known it then, he would have shrugged it off as safely contained and still valuable. I do appreciate that this is where you introduce the term “Starburst” but it should not be difficult to reintroduce it elsewhere, should you desire.

// The name “starbursts” seems particularly appropriate, given its defecation results in something which resembles a pastry flower. “burst” makes me think it is somehow violently, or at least with great energy expelled, while “star” becomes more interesting given the result has a “greenish glow”. I have this image of some luminary being drifting through the caverns leaving behind its calling card. “luminary” on account of “star” and “glow”, “drifting” because of “star” which has an orbit.

“But then we would’ve been deprived of your presence.” Davchek’s tone was even and mild, but Merk wanted to punch him already. He hated being made fun of. This was only the first day of his life sentence, Jann’s too, in the hideous bowels of the planet named after its most valuable commodity. But as soon as Merk figured out a bit of the ropes around here he’d take Davchek down a peg.

// cut “He hated being made fun of” as it’s already been very well shown by the prior sentence. These six words could be used to further clinch your opening hook with additional information.

// Too many characters, I think. You need Merk and Davchek, protagonist and foil. Jann is not introduced, and so is not really necessary here. Keep the focus tight. I think of the starburst, and its alien source, as characters, as well.

// cut “in the hideous bowels of the planet named after its most valuable commodity.” It’s stark repetition, as you’ve already told me “stalagmite”, which invokes caverns, which implies some planetary body; and, I already know its valuable from the prior introductory dialog.

// The one question that does not seem to have been raised is, What is the challenge? The setting is an underground prison. The primary characters are Merk and Davchek. The intriguing SFF element is the alien starburst, which implies much more than it explicitly states (that’s a good thing, because it engages my interest and curiousity). And, I know this is a prison confinement resulting from an unsuccessful theft. But, what is the challenge which Merk and/or Davchek will be facing and come to some denouement with? I assume it is Merk, given that Davchek sounds to me the foil against which Mark tests himself.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I get to disagree with Survivor!

I DON'T like the way you introduced Jann because I thought (for a second, and only because I hadn't remembered from the previous 13 that Jann is Merk's wife--I think) that Jann might be Davchek's first name. I had an 'evil multiple tags' moment.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, but that's just you. I mean, the only thing we know about Jann from this opening is that she started her sentance at the same time as Merk, while we already know that Davchek has been there longer.

My thought on the starbursts is that they aren't mere solid waste defecation, they are a type of marker recognized among the creatures that leave them. The size, solidity, and luminosity of the starburst would be an excellent indicator of the health and strength of the specimen that left it.

Or it could just be their diet of luminous fungus, doesn't matter to me at this point in the story.

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer Jann to the previous name that you used for that character.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, below is the random firings of a mind under stress.

The above is the first time I read it.
Had no problems with difference with Merk, Davchek and Jann. Had no idea who Jann is. However, that is for the rest of the story, isn't it?

I liked the 'green glowing lumps'. Iit was, as with the reader, the first time Merk had seen them.

The name Merk does have some fecal overtones:

Meconium n : thick dark green mucoid material that is the first feces of a newborn child.

It is named after the thick green juice of the opium poppy, perhaps Starbursts are drugs.

Also Merde. (French for yoghurt I seem to recall )

But more than that, Merk conjures up images of Mercenaries.

Jann on the other hand reminds me of Jannissary a loyal solider or underling.

Davchek is clearly a slavic name, and choosing that sort of name, and the 'salt-mines' setting, conjures up stereotypes which may or may not be subverted by the subsequent story. I hope they are, that would be cool and interesting.

Do svidaniya!

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Wow, Hoptoad. I'm literally blown away.

You really really hit it on the head. Merk is a nasty jerk who gets his come-uppance at the end, and is referred to as a piece of shit.

The starbursts are used to make narcotics and prescription drugs.

Oh, and Survivor, you are right about the size, color and intensity having significance. The green ones are after the aliens eat a rodent-type creature. But after they eat a human they are bright white and larger. They are also more valuable and higher quality.

Jann is Merk's wife, very meek and abused by Merk.

I'm not sure what stereotypes you mean with the slavic overtones, though I did choose the name to have slavic roots. Davchek is the leader of the motley crew of prisoners. He keeps them alive and rules fairly, but he is also incredibly skilled in martial arts and well able to defend himself from scumbags like Merk.

Thanks for your comments, all. I have submitted this story to OSC, so we'll see what happens.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hoi hoi! what's with all the spoilers?...oh well. Cat's out of the bag now.

I guess that it's an interesting commentary on the cycle of life and all that crap, how Merk, despite being such a complete failure of protoplasm otherwise, will in the end give something back

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, hope OSC likes it.

Some of the elements of the slavic stereotype as portrayed in american popular culture and that might apply to this scenario would include:

1: an involvement in labour unrest (ie labour unions or worker's federations)
2: moodiness, swinging from furious almost manic activity through to lethargy and despair
3: hard drinking
4: physically strong but intellectually weak (ie easily duped)
5: tendency toward thievery and/or organised crime
6: tendency toward anti-semitism

Please note, this is a stereotype as portrayed primarily in hollywood. Not my personal views.

Subverting it could be fun and interesting.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 19, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.