Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fresh from the desk of the newbie...

Author Topic: Fresh from the desk of the newbie...
babycakesjase
Member # 2868

- posted      Profile for babycakesjase   Email babycakesjase         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been experimenting with several different openings for one of the pieces I'm working on - I'm intending this one to be a novel...

Alnia struggled fiercely in her arms as she tried to fight through the crowd. Even the sounds of the mob seemed dulled by the oppressive humidity. After such a long period of drought, no one had expected so much rain to arrive so late. With one arm outstretched she lunged for small gaps in the crowd, her sense of urgency to see her husband neatly balanced by her need to keep the baby safe. She was almost halfway through the sweaty mass when she heard the jeers and catcalls subside. Relief coursed through her only to be stripped away as the Proclaimer announced “…guilty of sedition and will be taken to Rhimnald and punished accordingly.”

Somehow her whimper was heard by those now cheering around her, and they looked over in a mixture of pity and suspicion.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 14, 2005).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first sentence, are "Alnia" and "her" different people?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Alnia is the baby. The unnamed POV character is the mother.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babycakesjase
Member # 2868

- posted      Profile for babycakesjase   Email babycakesjase         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that - tripping over on my baby steps...

Alnia and her are different people. I should replace that first her with Reena (I'm not sold on the name yet)

The first sentence should read, "Alnia struggled fiercely in Reena’s arms as she tried to fight through the crowd."

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, to 'suspicion' seems to be 13 lines, so I'll look at that much.

I'm unclear about what's happening here. Is it Reena's husband who's on trial? If so, you might want to make that a little clearer. If her husband is on trial for his life, I'm not convinced she'd be thinking about the weather.

I also wasn't sure if it were actually raining while she's struggling through the crowd. I think this needs more description of the press of bodies, the mud and what Reena can see, feel, hear and smell. Let us in on how she's feeling. Is she afraid for her husband? Convinced of his innocence, or guilt? Afraid the crowd will recognise her, and turn on her? This scene needs more intensity of emotion.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the Alnia/her confusion, I really enjoyed the first paragraph up until its last sentence. After that I felt things weren’t working quite as well as they could. The surprise that Reena is in the crowd to hear whether her husband is to be punished or not is nice, but it took me out of the story as I worked out what was going on, and even at the end I was left wondering why relief had coursed through her when the crowd fell silent. I think in her position I’d be even more nervous when the crowd fell silent.

In the second paragraph we’re outside of Reena as she experiences her grief, which I feel cheats the reader of some emotion. Rather than experiencing what Reena experiences, we’re with the crowd just looking at her. I think this could be much more powerful if you make us feel what Reena is feeling.

On a completely different note – Buffysquirrel, I’m only seeing 9 lines. As a newb I’m a little confused. Is this a screen resolution thing? Is it 13 lines or 13 sentences? I just don’t want to screw when I finally post my 13 lines…

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, clarity. There are a number of issues.

First, [proper noun] [verb, pt with adverb and so forth] "as" [pronoun] [verb, pt with so forth]"." is a structure that definitely indicates that the pronoun refers to the proper noun. The fact that you had another "her" nestled in the "so forth" clauses didn't clarify what you were doing. Which is to say, dittos to Beth

I would change the first reference to Alina to "the/her baby". Once you establish a baby, it's easy to slip in the name, but if you establish the character name first, we're not expecting you to tell us she's a baby.

And the POV breakdown in the second paragraph is a concern too. Like Doc X said, it lacks feeling. We could have guessed that she'd be lying unconscious in the muddy square once she'd fainted, and we could guess that her baby wouldn't be happy about it, so there isn't really any new information here.

I just don't like it stylistically, it's a bad habit to drop POV, particularly when you don't tell us anything we couldn't have guessed. Consistent POV is really important to clarity.

My guess is that you're about to make a more pronounced POV change anyway, so why not just do that?

About the 13 lines, it's a specific standard, 12pt Courier with 1" margins on regular paper. That would constitute the first page of a standard manuscript submission. Since the first page isn't enough of most stories to compromise the publishing rights, and because editors/minions often decide to reject based on only the first page, we use that standard.

If your moniter is set to 1024x768 or higher, and you have your text size set to normal/medium/whatever in your browser/os, than you'll probably see fewer lines. I set mine to largest text, so it looks like about 13 lines to me.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

Add my dittos about the initial confusion about who's who.

Survivor's right -- don't add too many names at once or it will overwhelm.

"Somehow her whimper was heard" seemed a little weak. Is there another, more direct way to say this?

That said, I really liked the overall urgency of the scene, and would read more.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On a completely different note – Buffysquirrel, I’m only seeing 9 lines. As a newb I’m a little confused. Is this a screen resolution thing? Is it 13 lines or 13 sentences? I just don’t want to screw when I finally post my 13 lines…

I copied the posted text into my wordprocessor, which is already set to 1 inch margins, 12 pt Courier, etc, and counted the lines that way.

I got a little tired of commenting on lines that then got whisked away by the ever-efficient admins!

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"Somehow her whimper was heard" is passive.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
babycakesjase
Member # 2868

Thanks all! I'm thinking that my first re-read/edit of this (I'm scheduling that for november) is likely to involve a very large learning curve.

I blame too much scientific writing for the passive though! (I need to blame something besides myself sometime)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.