Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Voyager

Author Topic: Voyager
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first thirteen lines from a novel that I finally finished (about 56K...I'm panicking that it's too short!). It's soft sci fi. Please let me know what you think of the opening. Thanks!

"Bye, Charlotte, thanks for staying late."

Charlotte gave an acknowledging wave over her shoulder as she stepped out the door of the Cajun Blues Bar and Grill. The screen door shut behind her with a loud bang. She had left the hazy interior behind, but the odor of fried food clung to her nostrils and clothes. She couldn't wait to get home and take a long, hot shower to clean the grease off.

Gravel crunched underneath her feet as Charlotte crossed the parking lot to her car. She nervously eyed the lot next door. It was empty of buildings, but live oak dominated the small patch of land. There were a few scattered lights in the parking lot, but shadows still clung to the trees,

Sorry about the abrupt departure from the rest of the story!

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
This is good, but I'd put in more about the lot. It sounds so nicely creepy.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
babycakesjase
Member # 2868

- posted      Profile for babycakesjase   Email babycakesjase         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree - maybe put more in about the why she might be so nervous in the lot - she seems to go from a jaunty/carefree farewell to nervous in a couple of lines.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
56k is a bit short for a novel.

There's potential in this opening, with Charlotte spooked by the empty lot. Definitely leaves me wondering what's going to happen next.

I'm not convinced however that starting with dialogue from an unnamed, unseen and quite probably unimportant character is the way to go. It might work better to start with Charlotte acknowledging x's implied remark with a wave of her hand. You can easily use narrative to tell the reader how late it is, which is all we really get from the dialogue.

Having the gravel crunch underneath Charlotte's feet feels tautologous--where else is it going to be?

Try to avoid having two consecutive sentences that use the same construction. Here you have two very similar sentences using "but". Rhythm is often overlooked by prose writers, but it is important. Vary the lengths of your lines and how they are constructed.

The comment about her going from jaunty to nervous is interesting. You could echo that change of mood by having her move from the circle of light around the bar into shadow, or from concrete onto gravel, or in lots of other ways.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input, everybody

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the sense at first that Charlotte works at the Grill, and has for a while. But the rest was absent that feel. I didn't get the impression that she had a history or any prior experience, it's like she just popped into existence when somebody said "Bye, Charlotte".

In other words, she felt very generic.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't hooked. I don't know how you want to hook me, but I didn't get enough yet: I just saw a woman getting off work.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.