Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Where Hope Was

Author Topic: Where Hope Was
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy. Short story. Thoughts?

No formal border lay between Ektarian and Dresadil, but I knew when we crossed from one to the other. Ektarian was all activity: fat red cows grazed in its fields, barely pausing to chew one mouthful before ripping up the next; children drove outraged geese or pigs with black tidemarks along their flanks. In Dresadil, all was silence.

Even as his leading hoof struck Dresadil soil, my horse reared and then backed away. The sun was cooler, the soil thinner, the grass yellowing and everywhere seeding with bowed heads. No cattle grazed; no children ran with sticks and yells. Forcing my horse forward, I felt Dresadil's cold strike me to the bone. It was true, then: my uncle was not only an usurper, but a magician, too. His curse lay upon my birthright like a stone.

[This message has been edited by BuffySquirrel (edited September 25, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Consider this:

Even as his leading hoof FIRST CROSSED THE BORDER INTO Dresadil, my horse reared and then backed away. The sun was cooler, the soil thinner, the grass yellowing and everywhere seeding with bowed heads. No cattle grazed; no children ran with sticks and yells. Forcing my horse forward, I felt Dresadil's cold strike me to the bone. It was true, then: my uncle was not only an usurper, but a magician, too. His curse lay upon my birthright like a stone.

--

I'm mildly hooked, despite my bias against fantasy these days.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it, and the suggestion posted above only makes it better.

I'd say I'm hooked and would read more.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, it's pretty good anyway, but consider Will's advice. That's a hook. I would definitely keep reading.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
You got me hooked, Buffy!

There's a nice sense of anticipation and some good imagery. If those last two lines do indeed fall at the bottom of the first page then I'd definitely keep reading if I was an editor.

How long is it? If it's finished and you're looking for readers for the full manuscript then count me in. Can't guarantee that I'll be able to get back to you lickety-split, but I'd certainly like to take a look at it.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Great imagery. The names are a little on the multisyllabic side (are people from Ektarian goiing to be Ektarianians? That could be bad...) but the imagery of the cows, goats and pigs is perfect; maximum atmosphere in minimum words.

As per everyone else, I agree with wbriggs's suggestion.

The contrast, along an almost Dunsany-esque edge, acts as a hook. I'd definitely keep reading.

Is it finished? Are you looking for readers? If so, how long is the piece?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you need to specify "formal border". From the context of the opening, I'd guess that it simply means that the border isn't drawn on a map and acknowledged by treaty. But to me the implication of that first line was that there wasn't a distinct border, that the transition from one to the other was somewhat gradual. So I was rather jolted by the opening line of your second paragraph.

Also, that line represents an unfortunate regression of your story. If you just cut it, I think the text moves more smoothly. I don't recommend that, though. It's the only specific action in the entire opening. Everything else is very generalized. I'd say the better solution is to give us all the information in a defined scene rather than by telling us these generalizations.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
As I read the second paragraph, my thought was that the main character should have also seen this border coming. It seems a rather drastic contrast, after all. Seeing that, I think a sense of anticipation would exist as they ride towards the border, which would be emphasized by the animal's reaction. That all depends on the geography, though.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Many thanks to everyone who read and commented .

It is finished; it's about 6.6k. At the moment I'm considering whether or not it's worth revising and trying to place as a reprint.

[This message has been edited by BuffySquirrel (edited September 26, 2005).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Place as a reprint?

I liked what you have written as it is, no need to repeat yourself. The border comment did not occur to me but I see Survivor's point.

At first I was not sure whether it was the geese and pigs or the children or both with tidemarks on their flanks. But thinking about it I see it was the pigs.

The description of the noise and life of Ektarian IMO needs extending to make the difference stronger. The Dresadil line at the end of the paragraph seems like its in the wrong place, it jarred, the transition seemed a bit clunky.

Maybe even putting it on a separate line would help.

Question: Could the rider (POV Character) see or sense the difference AS he/she approached the border?

I would like to read it.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 26, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Thanks for your comments.

Reprint--the story's been published once, and I'm wondering if I could place it again.

No, the rider couldn't see the difference.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.