Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Alpha

Author Topic: Alpha
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
In the darkness I am waiting
Forever dreaming of freedom
Whispering lies to my self
Meant to quiet the desperation

Elizabeth forced herself to breathe evenly, curled up in a tight ball beneath a mound of blankets. She imagined her body was made of steel, and nothing could make her move.
It was a pretty illusion, but it didn’t last long.

The shadow fell across her doorway, spilling into the room. He was coming for her. His almost silent footfall sounded on the floor. His heavy, anticipatory breathing filled the suddenly stale air. His weight slanted the mattress as he climbed into bed beside her, shoving the weak protection of blankets off of her and onto the floor. He uncurled her body, despite the resistance.

Elizabeth silently cursed herself for once again becoming frozen in fear. Not running. Not screaming.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited September 28, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited September 28, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 28, 2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice storytelling; I like it.

I don't like the initial poem. I always skip over them to get to the action.

The main problem I see is that Elizabeth is reacting to something I don't understand. Until paragraph 2, I didn't know there was anyone else present. Until paragraph 3, I didn't know she wasn't hiding from him, or that she was in bed. Tell us up front! Something like,

Elizabeth lay in bed, rigid with fear. The evil robot monkey would be coming for her any minute.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

- posted      Profile for Ratlance   Email Ratlance         Edit/Delete Post 
I put some of my opinions in brackets through out your story. These are only some options you can though.

Elizabeth forced herself to breathe evenly, curled up in a tight ball beneath a mound of blankets. She imagined her body was made of steel, and nothing could make her move.
It was a pretty illusion, but it didn’t last long.

[This first sentence doesn’t make sense.] The shadow fell across [maybe use through then across?] her doorway, spilling into the room. He was coming for her. His almost silent footfall sounded on the floor. [Another option for this that I thought sounded clearer is: His almost silent footfall could be heard on the floor; he was coming for her.] His heavy, anticipatory breathing filled the suddenly stale air. His weight slanted the mattress as he climbed into bed beside her, shoving the weak protection of blankets off of her and onto the floor. He uncurled her body, despite the resistance.

Elizabeth silently cursed herself for once again becoming frozen in fear. Not running. Not screaming.

Sounds good, has a creepy feel to it. Not sure what’s going on, it seems like she knows him. If this is a stranger you should get it across sooner. You also start a lot of sentences with "his," try to find different ways to start a sentence. It will make your story more direct and not repetitive.

[This message has been edited by Ratlance (edited September 28, 2005).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
The poem may not seem like much of interest now--and that's just a matter of opinion, even there, because I always enjoy that in stories--but it continues through the story. In breaks, another set of lines may come, relevant to the story. In the end, it's a complete poem, outlining the feel of the story.

Yes, I noticed that, Ratlance.. the bit about the sentences constantly starting with 'he'. It bothered me suddenly as I pasted it into the post! I tend to hate repetition, so the moment I noticed it, I wanted to fix it.

It's a short fiction work, by the way. It could possibly be seen as fantasy, based on the reader's interpretations.

keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like the initial poem. I always skip over them to get to the action.
+1

"The shadow" in one sentence followed by "He" in the next confuses me. I'd prefer "His shadow" or "Joe's shadow" to "The shadow".

I do like the "Elizabeth" paragraph. It reads well.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited September 28, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Here's the edit product. Any other or new problems? Thanks for the help so far!

------------------------

Elizabeth forced herself to breathe evenly, though it took a moment of effort. Curled up as she was in her bed, she was merely a tight ball beneath a mound of blankets. She imagined her body was made of steel, and nothing could make her move.

It was a pretty illusion, but it didn’t last long. His shadow fell through her doorway, spilling into the room. He was coming for her. Though almost silent, his footsteps could still be heard on the wood floorboards, accompanied by his heavy, anticipatory breathing that filled the suddenly stale air. The mattress slanted from his weight as he climbed into bed beside her, shoving the weak protection of blankets off of her and onto the floor. He uncurled her body, despite the resistance.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 08, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You're still cheating on the information reveal.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

How so though? I don't see anything being cheated. The only thing some people complained about was that I didn't say she was in bed, which I now do. I don't think it's going to absolutely kill a reader with suspense if they don't find out someone's coming for until the fifth sentence. What's wrong with seeing the character's reaction and then what's causing it? It's not like I take a long time getting there.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 01, 2005).]

jinkx
Member # 2798

- posted      Profile for jinkx   Email jinkx         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting a little while to reveal that someone is coming for her. It makes the reader wonder, "What's going on? Why is she hiding under the blankets?" Those questions aren't bad! It makes the reader want to continue to read on. I actually think you should take out the sentence "He was coming for her." It sounds redundant. You've already mentioned that his shadow was spilling into the room, telling us that he was coming for her is just repeating what we've already figured out for ourselves.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

- posted      Profile for Alnilam           Edit/Delete Post 
The first and second sentences sound good. The third one is contradictory. If she knows danger approaches, why would she imagine her body as "steel" so "nothing could make her move"?

Wouldn't her first instinct be escaping?

The second contradictory phrase is: "It was a pretty illusion." Being made of steel could be "comforting", "invincible", but not pretty.

Did the air turned "suddenly stale" because he's coming? And finally, "anticipatory" sounds clunky and slwows down the flow.

There is suspense, if that was your aim.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

No, her first reaction would not be escaping. The man coming is her father, and he has been raping her. Elizabeth is only a teen. I've been sexually abused heavily in my life, and one thing a child almost never realizes is that there is any sort of escape. If it's repeated abuse, especially from an 'authority figure,' (which to a child can sometimes simply mean anyone adult or close to it) it typically just doesn't occur to the kid to report what they're doing or to run away. Even if they've been schooled about these things.

I will work with the 'anticipatory' and stale bit, I agree.

Does anyone else agree that 'pretty illusion' doesn't work? I can understand the thought behind it, but don't necessarily agree. If others feel it doesn't give the right feel, I'll switch to 'comforting.'

Also, I'd like more opinions on if waiting until the second paragraph to say someone is coming for her doesn't work or not.. if I really have to (though I hate to do it, ugh), I will switch 'He was coming for her' to be the very first sentence.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 06, 2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

Thanks for explaining that part about Elizabeth, but now that you did, I think you should make that evident that she's young, and that the person is someone close to her.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

I do, and in this very scene (which is a mere four paragraphs long), but I don't feel it should be revealed immediately. I think it's easy to figure out that it's someone she knows, since he's in her house at night, so I don't believe I'm cheating the reader.

About the only thing I can think of, that will make certain the reader doesn't think it's just a break-in by a stranger or something, and that it's a repeating thing, is to write a line like, "As usual, her mother either slept through the event or was lying in her own bed, too terrified to come to her daughter's rescue. Which it was, Elizabeth didn't know, for she had never managed to find out her mother's awareness of what went on." But it may not be in the first 13 lines, which is what this is about.

There's a moment at the end of the scene where it's revealed, and I want the reader to feel some shock and horror that it turns out to be her own father that just raped her. To simply say "Her father came into the room" takes it at an angle that lacks something. The shock wouldn't be as strong, because you would already know she's afraid of what he's coming to do.

There are some things that need to be discovered as a reader goes along, I feel. Not all of it can be in one swoop in the beginning paragraph.

And she's not insanely young.. 14 or 15. So I can't say anything subtle like 'her young body was curled up' or anything, because she's physically mature (and mentally). I also heavily refrain from graphic detail in this story, so I can't reveal it any way there either. It becomes obvious immediately in the next scene though.

----------

By the way, I am looking for readers for this to give further critiquing, if anyone's interested. It's currently 4,152 words long.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 06, 2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first version better. It flows more easily.

It wasn't hard to work out what was going on. I think your writing captured the event sufficiently incisively for anyone with a passing familiarity with the subject to understand what Elizabeth is preparing herself against.

I don't think you need to move "He was coming for her" to the front. I like the set up and the way the reader shares with Elizabeth the horrible inevitability of the man's arrival.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

You're right, of course. How much more can you pack into four paragraphs. Still, I had the impression that Elizabeth was over twenty or so. It could be just me, though, and at this point into the story, her age could be dismissed.

Like I said before, there's a definite suspense.

ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

I don't know. I have a hard time knowing whether I'm writing in a good way or a bad.. I get half the people telling me (not just from here) I wrote this story very smoothly, flowing, poetically, and the other half saying it's wrong, uninformative, etc. But it's hard to know, of anyone, who has the actual knowledge and intelligence to be judging my writing correctly for future publication.

With this story, I know I wrote more from the poetic side, which leads into the feel of the scene more immediately than the actual scene itself. The descriptions are key in it. I'm still trying to decide how much I should change it, if at all. I'm trying to be open to advice, is the main thing.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting contradictory feedback can be extraordinarily useful, because it makes you stop and consider what you're really trying to do with the story.

I don't think "flowing" and "unclear" are at all contradictory, btw. Why can't you make it both clear and flowing?

I also have to say that I think weighing comments here by "who has the actual knowledge and intelligence to be judging my writing correctly for future publication" is perhaps missing the point.

It's your story. Get the comments, decide what to do about them. Even if [Some Genius Editor You Totally Respect] stopped in and made some suggestions, it's still your story, and you're the one who has to decide what to do about it. And even if only morons comment on your story, it's still your story, and you're the one who has to decide what to do about it. You can't abdicate that responsibility.

Comments are just data.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

I agree it's hard. I had the same problem, deciding which suggestions to heed, and which to dismiss. When it becomes too conflicting, I always listen to my instinct. That's not saying it's easy, but you as the author know the story intimately, better than anyone who can judge by 6 lines. All we can do is make it as attention grabbing as possible.

Besides, have you not read a book that you didn't like much? I have. There are many published authors out there, and not everybody in the world loves their books. We have to come to terms with the facts that once our books will be published, not everybody will love them. That is especially true for genre novels.

thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you produce a stirring "feel" in the piece via your imagery and such. However; I don't get a child-like vibe from the piece and I think that stems from the way you are trying to hook the reader. You are trying to build suspense through the "mysterious stranger" aproach when it doesn't seem to match the relationship your POV has with the rapist. If her father is entering the room and she is scared, just say it right off the bat,

"Elizabeth tried to remain calm when her father entered her bedroom. Curled up in a ball she imagined her body was steel..."

Revealing that the POV shows fear of her parent gives the reader a sense of age right off the bat. Also, giving this information right up front changes the whole nature of your hook to one that I would find much more interesting. Instead of the "mysterious stranger" you now have the grounds to build a complicated, grotesque relationship.

I know you cover who the rapist is in the first four paragraphs, but in a traditional noval format, readers won't know that until the second page. Most readers I know won't read a book if the first page doesn't catch them and as a reader I feel cheated that you keep playing the pronoun game to build suspense. You're imagery is strong enough to build the suspense without using what I would consider a cheat.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Your prose can be stirring and evocative, yet still cheat on the POV information. Particularly since you made the conscious decision to withhold critical information.

I'm against cheating on the information reveal unless you can do it without getting caught. When the readers know you're hiding something, it makes it harder to draw them in because they're waiting for the missing bit before they decide how to react.

If you can pull it off, it's still dangerous because then the reader could feel betrayed and tricked. Maybe you want that, maybe not.

The best way to withhold information is to make it something that the POV doesn't know either. In this case, I don't believe it can work unless you have Elizabeth suffer from a psychotic break with the reality of her situation. That might be interesting, but it would also be really hard to pull off.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

::Shrugs:: Well, as I said, revealing it's her father immediately just ruins the entire opening for me and I believe it kills any of the shock later. I, also as a reader, feel it loses something. So, I'm not sure what to do about that.

I have a hard time identifying with those particular comments, because I've never felt that way about a book. I never feel cheated, I just feel the author chose a bit further along to reveal a detail. I mean, if they were revealing something chapters in, yes, but.. even just within the first chapter? If they sit there and just say it all out, I practically feel like one of the doinks on Yahoo saying a/s/l?

Also, you're not supposed to get a child-like vibe from Elizabeth. She's not a child. She's 15... and when I was 15, after years of abuse, people could swear I was in my twenties. Abuse matures you. I was mainly explaining the child thing, because this has been happening to her for years, and she's set in a pattern. Even at 15, she doesn't believe there's outside help, because a lot of the story is how she constantly gets screwed over at school as well. The fear is mainly turning into hate at her age, though there's still the fear sometimes when the actual event of rape happens.

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that you can still shock the hell out of the reader if you reveal up front that it's her father and she's afraid of him.

After all, a fifteen year old dreading her father's approach isn't that uncommon. In this case, it's the reason she fears him that is shocking. And you have a plausible motive for not revealing that. For one thing, Elizabeth probably can't be sure that it's going to happen. Abusive parents are pretty inconsistent, after all. Also, she's trying to avoid thinking about it, pretending it can't happen. And she isn't yet thinking of it as "rape", even though she knows what's going on. To her mind, this is (probably) a thing that cannot possibly be described by some simple, everyday term. That's why she hasn't sought help, she thinks that nobody can or will help her (depending on the surrounding culture, she could be right, too).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

I know I can shock them... but it doesn't have the same sort of impact as I want. It simply doesn't. I don't know how many times I can say it.

I have a hard time seeing it as bad either. I've read many books where you don't find out something essential until later. Let's take the book I'm reading right now, for example. "The Finest Creation" by Jean Rabe. The story starts out with two characters speaking, but you never see who they are. New chapter, you're at a scene with a girl getting ready to travel to a wedding with her brother, and then you find those two original characters again at the end of this second chapter and find out they're not humans, but intelligent horses.

To me, this doesn't feel like info cheating, it feels like merely creating that 'oooh' moment with a reader. It's a deepening of the plot. And since I was never lead to necessarily feel the characters were one thing or another, I didn't feel misled.

Is my attempt really so different? Or is it just that all of the books I've seen employ this are truthfully bad books?

As to the other things, she does know it's going to happen. This is by far not the first time. She wasn't trying to avoid thinking of it either, she was simply imagining herself as invulnerable to it. She does think of it as rape. Also, as him cheating on her mother.

She simply doesn't feel those in the outside world could or would help her, because she's received nothing but cruelty from regular life as well. Not to mention that she feels it would be a grave weakness if she submitted to begging for help. She has to take care of herself, or she feels she isn't even worthy to live.

You'd have to read the story to understand, but Elizabeth does not think like a normal human.

Beth
Member # 2192

A lot of books get published despite their problems. That doesn't mean the problems should be emulated.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It doesn't happen every time, or she wouldn't be scared. Heck, if it happened every time she might not even have a problem with it, not a conscious one anyway.

I'm not making a catagorical statement here, just pointing out some general realities of child abuse and how children respond to it.

ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

It doesn't happen... every time of what? I fail to understand what you're referring to. Elaborate?

And I know how kids react. I did mention I've been abused all my childhood. I have very firsthand experience. I've also studied it a fair amount. Trust me, you can still be scared, even if it's happened a dozen times.

But if you read, you'll also notice she's not racked with fear or anything even as it is. She's simply imagining she's invulnerable to it, and it's more of... dread.

Survivor
Member # 213

Whatever. Every night, every time her father needs to take a leak, every time she's afraid it's going to happen. Any and all of them.

It isn't just a matter of abuse patterns, it's a matter of what humans fear/resist and what they don't fear/resist. When you really know something is going to happen, it doesn't scare you.

And if a parent is consistent enough in a behavior so that the child really knows what the parent is going to do, then it isn't an abuse pattern. It may not be normal parenting, it could violate all the local social norms, but it isn't abusive in pattern. Abuse is inconsistent.

Beth
Member # 2192

Oh, geeze. I just don't think that arguing with an abuse survivor about abuse and fear and how abused kids react is going to help ThisProteanSoul write a more compelling beginning. Sometimes the "no arguing" rule should go both ways.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
After all that this will seem petty but here goes:

1:As others have mentioned, I skip poems, they make me uncomfortable when they are not done well. Not saying yours isn't done well just that I have a a conditioned response thing happening and I think a lot of people might. (I couldn't even do Tolkien's ones throughout LOTR)

2: How can she see the shadow in the doorway or the way it spills into the room if she is rolled up in a ball under the blanket?

3: I would nit 'almost silent' and ask for a stronger word

4: Same with 'suddenly stale' I don't know how that could work unless she is still under the blankets breathing in her own CO2.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
ThisProteanSoul, did you notice mikemunsil's post "Thoughtful reading on Thoughtful Writing" in the nonfiction area? I think you might find the "innocence and experience" article interesting.
http://www.creativenonfiction.org/brevity/craft/craft_voice.htm
Hoptoad's #2,#3 and #4 cover my other thoughts on your beginning.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited October 11, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Thank you for the practical criticism, Hoptoad. I will certainly take it into account.

Kickle (is that like tickling with kicks? I like your name), thank you for that article, it's certainly an interesting read. It also will give me something to reflect on for another story I'm writing, in which I am also finally writing from the viewpoint of an abused character based off of myself.

Survivor, I agree with Beth and was just about to drop it anyway. We both feel we're right, and we probably both are, it's just that it's taking a lot of back and forth to lay everything out in explanation. It's also doing nothing to help my writing, so it's rather pointless to hash out here.

Thank you for the critiques, everyone. I'll be sitting back and pondering what I want to do with this story for a while before I post up another revised beginning. If any wish to read it and give further critique in the meantime, just let me know.

lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the introduction, TPS.

The only thing about the poem, for me, is that I'm not sure who is speaking those words, if anyone. To me, that creates a sort of disconnected feeling. I'd like to feel like I know something about the voice, the speaker/thinker, when I read the words. The prose of poetry sometimes makes it harder to get a feel for the character's voice; and many times, it doesn't even belong to a character, which makes it commentary.

If Elizabeth is thinking those words, you might want to make them more a part of her thoughts early on. My opinion is they should be in the paragraph, as part of her thoughts. She could have written that poem earlier. If not, then you can't do much else. You simply have to decide if it's worth the risk and weigh their importance to you as a writer against the feedback you've received on them, so far.

Second, I feel the only feedback that really matters is the editors, (and that only when publication is your goal). Feedback is great, but it tends to have the scatter-shot accuracy of a shotgun. It usually hits the target, more or less, but also hits a lot of stuff that isn't the target.

Finally, I think the only concern for 'cheating' comes when the POV character knows something the reader doesn't. To me, that's like watching a movie where you see through someone's eyes, but the director blacks out a section of the screen so he can surprise you later with what the character saw there. A good director might make it work once, but it really would cheat the audience.

In my opinion, if I'm supposed to be there in Elizabeth's head, then I feel cheated if I don't know what's in her head. Many books out there that try such gimmicks, and I personally feel it's generally a cheap trick. Sure, a skilled writer might pull it off once, but I think if you want to have that surprise effect, you need to separate the reader from Elizabeth's head and thoughts.

Only you can say what you can and can't do, or what works and what doesn't in your story. A small surprise held off a few lines isn't really story-killing, especially if done well. I feel that rules need to be broken, but only if they can be broken incredibly well.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, sorry about not being helpful. Parental abuse is one of the many things I've survived in my time, though I don't feel that gives me any special insight here. I don't know how we got onto a discussion of what abuse is "really" like.

My point was addressing the literary problem of cheating on your POV. But you already disagreed with it, so there's nothing to be done.

Beth
Member # 2192

I am very sorry to hear that you have also survived abuse.

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this scene shows a child's reaction to abuse pretty well.

But by child, I mean a person maybe 9 years old and down.

15-16, or how anything in that range isn't really a child. I don't buy that an almost grown woman would still have these child-like mannerisms like curling under blankets and pretending to be invisible.

I don't know the background of this story, so I don't know if Liz has never been to any sort of school or interacted with kids her age, but if she did, she should know what her old man is doing it wrong, and the old a kid gets, the more likely they are to report the abuse against them.

The only way I could buy this would be if Liz is, in fact, a shut in and her old man's personal sex slave with no outside contact. Other wise, at 15-16, she would have probably turned him in already unless there is a good -- actually, GREAT -- reason why.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Sorry to hear you went through abuse, Survivor.

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said, per se, I was simply trying to figure out if I was actually doing what you accused me of, and if my desire to withhold for a mere page would really kill my story for readers.

Swimming Bird: Guess I'm pretty dumb then, eh? I wasn't getting outright raped by my father, but I never reported him till I was 16.

I think you'd be amazed what that fear of authority, being wrong, and getting the hell beaten out of you, or killed can do to someone. Being a kid has nothing to do with it. Adults get raped and beaten by people all the time and suffer through it without ever reporting it. Why would a teen not possibly be the same?

As to all of your other statements, I've answered every single one throughout this thread and don't think I should repeat myself. Again.

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not calling anyone dumb; I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. And I'm not talking about you, or anyone else. I'm talking about a fiction character in your story who we know nothing about. Why does she feel the need to act like she's a little kid when she's not? There might be a kid out there who only reported rape after someone threw a snowball in his face. This doesn't mean all kids, upon getting a snowball to the face, report rape in this fashion. Why does the snowball to the face trigger a rape report from this particular kid? That's the question. Don't tell me about other rape victims, or even your own personal experiences, because unless you are writing an autobiography, this character isn't you. That's not to say that your background shouldn't influence this character, but to completely quantify the character with other children who have been raped is folly. What makes this character differnt from all the others? Why is this character's story worth telling? This isn't about statistics. What your character is doing for her age I think is unique, but why is she doing it?

If you can convey that in your writing without telling us, that's probably going to be a good story.

As it stands, I still don't buy that a 15-16 year old would revert to childhood escapism in this fashion. That's just me.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 15, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, I didn't have a fun childhood, and a lot of it had to do with my luck in the father department. But I survived, and I'm happy that I did, even if Beth isn't

This is a board for discussing the literary qualities of stories, not the life experiences of the authors. "This really happened to me" isn't a valid defense of a fictional work. And it only works by guilting others into withholding criticism.

The way I look at it, I've survived a lot worse things than having people criticize my work. And when I asked for the criticism so that I could learn to write better, I can't see the point in getting all upset and trying to resist learning what I can from it. There are a lot of things that happen which I didn't request. I'll spend my time avoiding those things first.

I'm just asking people to stay light. This isn't a battle for personal validation here. It's a place for us to train our talents and learn so that we can go out and write.

ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

O.k., you're all misunderstanding me. I never said my personal experience validated Elizabeth's.

She's not reverting to childhood... hiding under a blanket is something adults do too. Or you can look at it as, certain adults retain certain childlike tendencies. But there's a difference between that and outright reverting to childhood. I often pretended I was asleep as a means of trying to discourage my father from doing anything. Elizabeth isn't trembling in fear and wishing it all away, she's imagining herself immune to it.

Also, Swimming Bird, I never said you called me dumb. I said myself that I was dumb, compared to what you said. Which I was. O.k., maybe inexperienced and 'trained' into certain reactions is a better description. I was not attacking you or what you said, just explaining another side to things.

And... ONCE AGAIN. Elizabeth does NOT think like a normal human. There IS a valid reason she is reacting this way, there IS a valid reason she's not reporting him. That's all in the story, as it should be.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't hook me and I'm not sure why.
I think it is the last line.
Maybe because the 'frightened into paralysis image' and the 'cursing oneself' image seem slightly out-of-synch time-wise. Like it is a 'reflective sentiment' rather than a 'paralysed with fear' one. I know that sounds like I am making assumptions about what is and isn't appropriate thinking in a moment of fear.

I'm just saying consider the timeline, I may or may not be right.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 16, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'll try it this way before giving up.

If you are only writing for yourself, then that's fine...but it isn't appropriate to ask other people to read such things.

If you're writing something for other people to read, then you have to consider how they will (or actually do) react to things like POV cheating.

It isn't about you. It's about the text and the reader. That's all.

ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

I just want to know if people honestly feel delaying that information for such a short period will kill things for a reader. I obviously feel differently, because I simply consider it a different way of pacing. I know I can be wrong, so I'm looking for a yes/no from people, and the reason they have that opinion. No one's even given me the simple yes/no yet.

And yes, I AM writing this for others, not just myself. Or else I wouldn't be in this forum, posting up the first 13 lines. I see no reason, personally, to do that with something I'm writing for only myself.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 17, 2005).]

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
If, when she uses the word "he", she knows it is her father and is thinking "father" in her head, then I would say it. However, I will agree that a POV in total denial might not think of the "he" as father. But as this violation happens regularly, I think she would have some word to discribe him other than "he". Personally my reaction to finding out the unnamed person is her father would not be shock or surprise, it seems quite obvious to me. So if shock is your reason for hiding his identy it won't work for some readers.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't comment on this idea of the POV cheat, because I knew straightaway "he" was her father. I knew almost immediately why Elizabeth was trying to make herself invulnerable.

A lot is going to depend on the readership this is aimed at. I think you've got a clear indication that it isn't working for a large number of readers here on Hatrack. That doesn't mean that a different readership might not be more receptive, and quicker to pick up on what's going on.

I think you should write your story your way. The corollary to that is that it won't be acceptable everywhere it goes. But then nothing is.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes. Cheating on the information reveal ruined the opening for me to the point that I felt nothing else could or should be mentioned as a problem in the same class.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.