Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » I think I've got it...

Author Topic: I think I've got it...
scm288
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've finally figured out how to start my novel. Here goes the first 13...

Mordecai twisted the paper in his hands, his eyes bulging. As his gaze scrolled down the page, they narrowed into slivers of ice. His hands began shaking.
“This… this is his final word?” asked Mordecai in a wretched whisper. The man standing before his throne nodded somberly, while looking steadfastly at the tiled floor. He started as the message came to rest at his feet, crumpled up into a small ball of paper, slightly torn. The messenger picked it up, flattened it out, folded it, and returned it to his pocket. He looked up to see Mordecai glowering with rage.
“If my brother… will not see it fit to surrender…” started Mordecai, almost raving, “then I’ll see to it that his head adorns my hall!”

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 04, 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just slapping everyone with this today, aren't I? Who is the POV in this scene?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I agree, the POV is unclear. I assume it's Michael, especially as the man isn't given a name, but then you refer to the man looking up and seeing Michael's rage. So, if it's Michael's POV, you slipped up by switching for one sentence (that I noted) to the man's POV. It should only be referring to what Michael's seeing, not the man.

If it's the man's POV, give him a name right off the bat.

Either way, the POV just needs to be more clearly defined.

Otherwise, it's interesting. Though I'd like to know a little more if Michael had reasonable reasons set out to his brother or if he's just out to conquer.

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that I really like the action, the emotion and the imagery I'll concentrate instead on nit picking the prose.

quote:
Mordecai twisted the paper in his hands, his eyes bulging. As his gaze scrolled down the page, they narrowed into slivers of ice. His hands began shaking.
I find this a bit convoluted. I would have dropped the first reference to hands and reversed the order of the second sentence. "Mordecai twisted the paper, his eyes bulging. They narrowed... ice as his gaze scrolled..."

quote:
...a wretched whisper. The man ...
This needs to be two paragraphs. They are different actions, Mordecai's and the man's. I would change "The man" to "the messenger".

I'm not sure whether I would keep the sentence you begin with "The messenger" but I would consider making "messenger" into "he" or "the man" and use it to begin yet another paragraph, shortening it and combining with the next sentence. I would think it smoother for the guy to just cram the paper in his pocket and wish he was somewhere else.

"started Mordecai, almost raving" is a bit weak. I'd have him fume instead of starting.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scm288
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
First off, the POV is the messenger. I guess this is pretty hard to tell, as this is only the first thirteen lines. I guess I'll have to give him a name right away.

Thanks keldon02. That was some great advice on my oder of descritions. Upon rereading it, I also find it clunky, and some of the descriptions are weak.

Sure, I'll part that section into two paragraphs, as soon as I've found a name for the messenger.

Wait... it's been edited? Was there any inappropriate content? I think I missed something.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably just too long, as explained here, in the paragraph that begins "In Fragments and Feedback..."

[This message has been edited by Avatar300 (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting from

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum6/HTML/000001.html

quote:
This is the way we determine if a story fragment is 13 lines or not:

First we highlight the text and copy it to the computer clipboard. Then we paste it into a manuscript template in MS Word, with Courier New font set at 12. Then we count the lines. If the sentence in the 13th line is only a little longer, we let the text go over 13 lines.

Finally, we go back to the topic and delete all but the actual, MS-Word-manuscript-format-12-point-font 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, if the POV is the messenger (who we'll call Pete, for no reason at all), then you can establish this up front with "Pete watched Mordecai twist the paper in his hands." Also, since it then transpires that Mordecai is sitting on a throne, perhaps some sort of title should be involved as well - King Mordecai, Lord Mordecai, the Great And Powerful Mordecai... whatever you think conveys the right atmosphere/impression.

There's a slight adverb overdose going on - nodding sombrely, looking steadfastly (also, if Pete IS looking at teh floor, how has he seen Mordecai's lively eye action in the first paragraph?).

And what era are we in? Paper and pockets make me think we're in an era somewhat later than traditional fantasy, but there's nothing else to clue us in. Though I accept that, in 13 lines (particularly at teh start of a novel), there's a limit to the information you can and should be trying to convey.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
Read what Orson Scott Card says in here. http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/2004-09-28-1.shtml

Actually, you should just put aside some time each day and manage to read all of the things listed under 'Uncle Orson's Writing Class.' Very useful.

If this is from the POV of the messenger, Mordecai needs to always be referred to as how the man thinks of him. Not necessarily how he addresses him.. perhaps he's labeled him with the name 'Scum' but he appropriately addresses him out loud as King Mordecai. Well, unless he's speaking out loud, Mordecai will always be referred to as Scum.

However, if he honestly thinks of this king as simply Mordecai, then I'm just silly and shouldn't have said anything.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Mordecai have a title? Any non-mordecai POV would use it.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 05, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if Mordecai has a title it makes a difference to how people call him. Although if you wanna be picky not every non-Mordecai POV will use it. For instance, if he were, say, a king, chances are his daughter would call think of him as "her father" before "King Mordecai" came to her mind.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
All good. Definitely give "Pete" a name, and let us inside his head a bit.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.