Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy: Friendship in Trouble

Author Topic: Fantasy: Friendship in Trouble
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Start of a Fantasy Short Story.
Looking for both feedback on what's here and volunteers to read the whole story. (5200 words)

Friendship in Trouble.
©2004 Wil.Ogden

Half-past dark: The time when the taverns near the docks in Ignea came alive. Sailors and cargo-loaders, lacking daylight, could no longer do their daily work and retired to relax and inebriate at the dozens of bars between the Boiling Bay and the apartment districts.
The Inn of the Haughty Hedgehog was by far the least rowdy place to buy bit ale. Everyone who had spent any time in Ignea knew that if they wanted a quiet drink with perhaps a gently singing bard, they were in the wrong town. The Hedgehog, though, would come closer to that ideal than any other local inn or tavern.
The biggest source of trouble frequently found at The Hedgehog was the innkeeper's younger brother, Pantros.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
My only thing is your choice of the word "inebriate". Since you're referring to sailors and cargo-loaders, who are not renowned for their eloquence, I think saying "...to relax and get drunk..." or something similar might read better.

Unless, of course, the scene is being relayed by someone who would say "inebriate".

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting scene...and you're moving towards a character development.

Some of the wording could use refinement. "Half-past dark:" doesn't convey any solid idea to my mind, it's a time, but I don't know what time. And all of your descriptions of the Haughty Hedgehog seem a bit relative, "by far the least", "closer than any other", "biggest source of trouble". That gives me a hard time in getting a clear sense of just how rowdy/quiet the place is, and how much trouble Pantros really is.

I mean, this place could be anywhere from "you've got only a 50-50 chance of getting punched out any given night" to "lively but mellow". Pantros could be anything from the kind of guy that belches and tells inappropriate jokes about piss while everyone else is trying to enjoy their ale, or he could be the one that knocks out the most teeth on any given night.

There is a good sense of general atmosphere you've developed for Ignea as a whole, but the elements that should be clearest are quite vague.

I'll read more if you like.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say... I love that name! The Haughty Hedgehog. That just made me laugh. Wonderful.

Nothing to add except that I agree with what's been said so far and I'd be willing to read this as well, if you're looking for it.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a peek. Email's right ^ there.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the introduction. It definately seems to be building towards a character, but the inn itself seems to be developing as a character for a bit, too.

Lately, I've been a little annoyed by the generic fantasy inn names, such as Haughty Hedgehog. Keep in mind, this is just me and my feelings of late (in other words, it's probably a good name and you should ignore me on this). They all seem to follow the same adjective-(usually-animal)noun format. For myself, I've been pondering different names.

I think the phrase 'half-past dark' would work if it were a common term used by the locals who go to these bars. Otherwise, I think it becomes awkward and a little hard to identify with.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

Other inn names I use:

Merle's Tavern
Jake's
Three Diamonds
Rampant Gelding
The Inn Between (located at the fork in the road from three cities that are two days walk apart.)

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Only the very bravest men dare enter an inn that offers rampant gelding...
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought that name was pretty dang funny myself Those names have a good variety to them, though. There's that feeling of saying something distinctive about your place using only a couple of words to them.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good so far. Sounds like your gearing up for a humorous story to me.

Er, is "bit ale" a typo?

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

Ancient copper or bronze coins were sometimes minted with grooves in them so they could be broken into quarters, or eigths, these sections were known as 'bits'

bit ale is the ale you can buy for one bit.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.