Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Call of Faya

Author Topic: Call of Faya
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
It is done. Any readers? It's a fantasy style piece and has roughly 21k words. I'm looking for people to crit the rough draft.

Oh, for those that didn't get to see the beginning here it is again.

The Shikar raiding party spilled out of the forest, crushing saplings and the underbrush under the onslaught of their weight. They resembled bears that roamed the same forest. Almost twice as tall as men, and just as dangerous. Twenty members strong, none of them carried weapons for they had large hands that ended in wicked claws the size of knives. This was the year for Hapshire. It was one of the many villages on the fringe of their territory. They were here for one thing and one thing only: Pillaging food that they wanted or couldn’t grow.

Conn and his father, Jaros, awoke to the sounds of inhuman growls and terrified screams. They looked to one another sleepily and nodded.

Just let me know if you're interested. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Monolith-

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited October 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 11, 2005).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fairly good opening. One or two little bits could be better if they were tightened up. For instance,

quote:
Twenty members strong, none of them carried weapons for they had large hands that ended in wicked claws the size of knives.

I would just drop the part about not carrying weapons: "There were twenty of them and they had claws the size of carving knives for weapons" or somthing like that.

Sadly, at 21,000 words, I just wouldn't be able to get back to you on that in any reasonable length of time. I'm way behind on my own stuff as well as working seven days a week with my regular job. I don't get much time to read anything these days which is really annoying.

Sorry, Mono'. If you like you could send over the first 3,000 words or so and I could let you know if I feel, as a reader, that the story's going well.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, you can send it my way. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how indepth I can get on a piece this large, but if you can wait a week or two, I'll take a look.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,

Would say, 6 pages be ok enough for you?? It's a bit hard for me to guage 3k words.

Just wondering.

Monolith

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.