Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Hoorah. I've finished something - Jalrek's fingers

Author Topic: Hoorah. I've finished something - Jalrek's fingers
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.

I posted the first 13 of this a little while back, but now I've finished the whole thing.

If anybody has the time to read this, I'd be most grateful. I'd really like to know if the story is interesting & if there's anything I can cut.

It's currently standing at 10,000 words.

Here's the first 13:

Jalrek crouched to examine the ground more closely, searching for any sign that the seed had taken root. He couldn’t spot a single green shoot in the expanse of fine, brown soil. He stooped lower, and ran his fingers through the soil of one of the furrows, feeling for the slightest resistance that would indicate growth beneath the surface. Nothing.
The little hope that he had held onto for this year’s cultivation evaporated. If the seed were going to take hold, he knew that it would have done so by now. His recent concerns had now been confirmed; the only way that his family could continue to live on the farm for another year would be to use the last of mother’s fingers.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was intrigued by the opening last time you posted it, so I'll be happy to read the whole thing (it'll just take me about a week to get back to you).
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Hi, and thanks.

I've sent it over as a word attachment in e-mail.

Thankyou.
xx

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squimi
Member # 2810

- posted      Profile for squimi   Email squimi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. The opening is nice and clear, and the bit about the fingers is very intriguing!
So send to me, too, if you like.
squimi

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way, if you'd like another crit. archangelcmg@mac.com

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Thanks you guys.
I'll get it sent over.

Canawler
Member # 2917

- posted      Profile for Canawler   Email Canawler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the story. It certainly caught my attention with the last line. You can e-mail me at jimrada@yaho.com.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you'd like another one, I'll give it a look as well.

itsvance@yahoo.com

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Hey.
I'd just like to say a big thanks to you guys who sent me a crit via e-mail.

Cheers for all your advice. I'll be working on tidying this up & got some great pointers from your comments.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Need another reader? Sounds interesting so far.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.