Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Where Were You Last Night?

Author Topic: Where Were You Last Night?
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
This piece of flash is a total of 197 words. Some of you may catch the religious symbolism here. Let me know if you do. Anyway, here's the first 13:

“Sir, help me. The wedding party and my Lord–where have they gone?”
She stared at his back as he swept.
Without turning he said, “They’ve gone. Where were you last night? You missed it. Only I am left to clean up.”
“Missed it? But I left to fill my lamp with oil. I hurried back, fast as I could.”
He laughed, his voice gentle. “Ah, my child,” he said, “you should have come prepared the first time. The bridegroom cannot tarry while the wedding party begins.”
Anguished, she cried, “But my four sisters–they too left to get oil.”
“And they too arrived here too late.”
“So where are they now? Where did they go?”
“They agreed to be married–to me,” the kindly voice said.
“You? But you are merely a servant. . . ”
“Silence,” he shouted.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, kind of a weird twist on the foolish virgins, eh? The really strange thing is contemplating who this guy is supposed to represent.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Actually it's only a few more lines if you want to find out.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want names (if MC knows them; and she'll know hers), and I want some emotional context.

“Sir, help me." Rebeccah didn't like calling a servant "sir," but you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If flies are what you wanted. "The wedding party and the groom --– where have they gone?”

He didn't even turn to face her, but kept sweeping. Who did he think he was? “They’ve gone," he said.

This adaptation is probably not at all what you meant --- but it shows one way of putting the emotion in, so we can care. You can easily enough put in the correct one.

...and I suggest you be sure that you have conflicting emotions in MC. It's realistic and it makes her interesting.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Those are great suggestions, wbriggs. Thanks.

Shane

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.