Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Opposites Attack

Author Topic: Opposites Attack
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think OA is a good title for a story? This might sound wierd for you, but I usually come up with a title before anything else. And it works. That's why I was so offended when someone suggested I change Formerly Held Dear to Once Held Dear. Once is better but I have to stick to mine.

I know what this OA story is about just most of it is subconscious so I can't explain it. But I will start writing it soon (It's going to be a short story) and hopefully yu guys can help me get it into shape to submit to IGMS.

I'm sorry I can't help you guys with your stories though as my critiquing skills usually get me abused one way or another lol.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
As a title, its good but, I would rather rate it knowing how it related to the story to which it was attached.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
haha we're like the only two online right now. how cool. well i'll have it written soon and if you'd like you can critique it. meanwhile i just posted in your topic that i'd like to read yours and critique it so send some of that my way please, if you havn't already.

It's all good.

Yeah.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
You just think you're the only ones online right now.

I think "Opposites Attack" is an interesting title. It's word play, and that is usually interesting all by itself.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

Watch out Pantros *runs to push you out of the way of danger and then says* we are being watched. Well I've just read you're story pantros. I think it's great. The characters have attitude, and well, character, and the story flows along nicely, but I've never actually read a short story before would you believe? And as such I'm not really in a position to critique it sorry. But may I suggest you agree with me (or else :@) on those notes being your strong points and working on the rest from there. But it really is good enough to be published I think, and I'll get around to reading the novel soon.

Corky, thank you for your praise. I like praise. I know something about my story now that I can tell y'all about. First of all, the main characters are a male and a female who aregue a lot but are great friends nonetheless. He thinks of her like an "I'll make a man out of you yet" sorta attitude (nothing to do with surgery, rest assured). She thinks of him as "Why do you always have to argue?" in an argumentative sorta way. And it's basicallya comedy where the two end up falling in love before one tragically dies. (only I will find that funny, I'm sure.) Anyway, I gotta go write that now.

Catchya on the flipside homies!

pantros
Member # 3237

Thanks, for the praise and the cover.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

I randomly started writing this just now. It sort of sidetracks from the initial idea, making my title obsolete ironically enough, but it was inspired by the same idea. Tell me what you think:

The Bounty of Argyle

A modern day Pirates war fought on a giant man made lake. The world is in anarchy so threes no one to stop them and no one more feared than the Pirates. Whoever claims this land will have to rebuild Mallace, the only land with the resources left to bring the world back to civilization. These Pirates are not as monstrous as the tales of them tell.

It seems fitting then in this case the old saying that opposites attract. For these Pirates all wants the same thing but have different ways of getting it, with no room for compromise. It is they who shall attack. Welcome to the Battle of Argyle!

pantros
Member # 3237

You just wrote the scrolling text at the beginning of a movie.

Show us these facts, don't tell us.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 21, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.