Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » NaNo Prep

Author Topic: NaNo Prep
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I am working on an outline for my NaNoWriMo novel, following The Snowflake Method. This is my first attempt at outlining, as well as writing anything so long. I'm very nervous, and looking for feedback.

So far I have some vague ideas and Snowflake is helping me focus in on my story. It's a historical fiction with biblical/spiritual overtones. As I mentioned, I'm working on the premise of "Jump in and untangle later". Still, if anyone would like to point out blatant flaws or discrepencies while still in the planning stages, I would very much appreciate it.

Here is my paragraph summary, which should be under 13 lines:

Marcus, a Roman soldier, gives up his sword and attempts to convert after witnessing the death of Christ. He wants to live righteously, but realizes he doesn't know what that means. The disciples won't teach a Gentile, but can Marcus overcome his prejudice and learn scripture from a woman? Marcus must survive assassination attempts and religious persecution to realize his dream of preaching God's Word. After losing all his earthly treasures in the burning of Rome, Marcus retires to Pompeii - with the church's blessing - to start a new church.
--------

The plot is still a bit fuzzy to me, but I'm primarily focusing on the characters at the moment. I'm hoping some folks might be willing to check out my 'Steps 3 & 4' and give some feedback. I'm keeping all of my nano prep on my blog, so if you're willing to look it over the link is here: This Path. They should be the last two posts, but here are the links for anyone interested: Step 3: Characters and Step 4: Expanded Paragraph Summary

Thanks in advance for all of your help and tips!

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this summary is very good. I love the idea of making this guy a sort of early Christian Job, too

Other than that, I don't know that I'd be so useful on the planning front. Even though I sometimes suggest major plot revisions, it seems more natural to do that only when the actual text demands it (I know, it throws the burden of labor on the writer, but I never claimed to be a good guy).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless his term of service has been completed, he can't just walk away from the army. That's desertion.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Right, Buffy. I had a contigency plan for that, based on the intervention of Claudia Procula - which should be in the larger summary - and the so-far-unmentioned fact that his dad is either a high ranking general or a senator. Haven't decided which, yet. Obviously, strings must be pulled somewhere or he'd be killed. I'm still open for suggestions on that.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

The influential person could get him a medical discharge, maybe.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

That's a good idea. I'll have to think about how to make that work.

*Now has mental image of Claudia Procula hauling off and breaking Marcus's kneecap with a club*

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a great idea.

Maybe there could be a moment between Marcus and a pre-conversion Saul of Tarsis, (a tentmaker student of law under the famous Gamaliel), who hates Christians but, after his miraculous conversion, is the very man who argues for the preaching of Christianity to the gentiles. It could lead to some nice circular stuff happening in the plot.

Now I forgot your question.

Edit:
Okay, I just re-read your post.

I would think Marcus might have some association with or knowledge of the Centurion Cornelius, perhaps even working with him. I think the link will be something people will wonder about if it is not at least mentioned.

But it might highlight a flaw in your plot as I understand it. The significance of Cornelius was that he was the first gentile baptised who had not previously been a proselyte to Judaism. In other words, all it would take for Marcus to become a Christian is for him to first become a Jew, thus getting around the 'don't preach to gentiles' rule. If Marcus, desires Christian fellowship enough then conversion would not be so hard. There has to be another barrier for that part of the plot to work in my opinion.

PS: We know there were proselytes in the early church and some of them gained great standing. To become a proselyte you had to be circumcised, baptised, offer sacrifice and thereafter observe the whole Mosaic law.

Men called 'devout gentiles' could be found in most synagogues. There were many and they were considered outsiders usually because they refused to participate in some aspect or other of the law.

I guess what I am saying is if Marcus found himself in with the 'devout gentiles' group, he would not be lonely.

So he must want full fellowship and to have it denied must mean that he has some barrier other than the ' no gentiles' rule.

Having said all that I am, for some reason, reminded of this law from Deut 23:

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

Certainly Marcus could never hide something like that from him who performs the circumcision...

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Thanks for the tips, hoptoad! I'll definitely look into your suggestions.

I really need to find out how someone would go about converting to Judaism at that time. Does anyone know any good links?

hoptoad
Member # 2145

I will see what I can find Ahavah!

This may or may not matter but will if you intend to have Marcus witness both the Crucifixion AND the eruption of Vesuvius.

The gentiles were officially allowed in without being first proselytised to Judaism about 45-50AD. (I am not sure so will look into it). Vesuvius erupted in AD 79 some 46 years after the crucifixion. To join the Roman army you had to be at least 18 years-old. That makes Marcus a minimum of 33-38 at the time the teaching of the gentiles was embraced by the church and a minimum of 64 at the time of the eruption.

This may all be well within the scope of the story. Just knowing he was going to Pompeii to set-up a church would be enough for me, even if it was 20 or 30 years before the mountain blew. I would be like, 'No! Go some place else!'

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 24, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Thanks again! I was trying to find out what age the Roman Army began accepting boys, but I didn't find it anywhere.

I was estimating that Marcus was probably about 20 at the time of the crucifixion, leaving him somewhere in his 60s for Vesuvius. I'm not actually sure if the novel will go all the way to the actual eruption, though. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'll send him there, but I was trying to get something for an ending, since I usually never have even a vague idea of where I'm headed.

[This message has been edited by Ahavah (edited October 24, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I thought the idea of him setting up a church there was enough, he doesn't have to live to see the eruption.

I'll admit that I didn't really hitch on the "gives up his sword" part. After all, you have him going back to Rome. Didn't think you meant he tried to get out of the army, just that he "pacifist tracked" from that point on. That would just be another hardship, if rather a severe one. It would make him unpopular with his fellows and officers, but he wouldn't be executed or anything.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I agree with Survivor about just knowing he is setting up a church in Pompeii is enough.
thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the idea of desertion, although how pragmatic it would be within the story is unknown to me. Perhaps the main character plans to run and has to shake off group of trackers, all the while maintaining his new Christian values and remaining non-violent.

His scenaro could also set up some interest dynamics with his father, the high ranking official. Does his father simply let him go or is he outraged by the besmurchment of the family name and even though the rest of the army has given up pursuit, does he continue chase?

Also, does the main character have a wife? Kids? If so, what are their thoughts on his defection and conversion to Christianity? How does the general public treat them after he has left to follow Christ? Perhaps they are black-marked and his wife will not feel vindicated until she sees him dead, thus the assassins come into play.

Your plot has some amazing possiblities to create action as well as ethical delemias which will make this an extremely powerful story.

[This message has been edited by thedeathkillersareback (edited October 24, 2005).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

That all sounds...pretty implausible. To me.
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I believe 17 was the age of recruitment.

Desertion was common in the Roman army but was also severely punished. How likely Marcus would be to get away with it would depend on how rigorous his legion was in tracking deserters down.

thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I kind of wondered how plausable it would be to have him flee the army. If it is merely improbably then it still might be a good story, but if in all reality it is impossible...Perhaps a got over excited about the possibilities and started rambling about things that just won't work. It's been known to happen.

Honestly, the only things I know about that era are what I've seen on TV and the tidbits from history classes.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Areas where a Roman would really stick out, particularly areas where there were active undercurrents of resentment like Judea, would not be ideal for desertion.

More to the point, desertion would be directly contrary to Christ's teachings, more so than being a soldier.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

You're right.
Minimum Age 17. Usually required to serve 25 years but the most common length of tenure was 16 years. (I don't know why they could skip the last 9, will find out).

I don't think desertion would be the most likely course for this man. Especially considering people like Cornelius the Centurion (Commander of 80) could be considered a devout man.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 25, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.