Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Zeta Reticuli Edited and Extended

Author Topic: Zeta Reticuli Edited and Extended
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
Please Read, give critques, and please tell what could be done to make it better. Thanks! Also, if anyone is interested in reading the full version, please tell! You may notice that this longer then 13 lines, that's because I added and edited, but still wanted to keep the end of the original 13 lines.

Anstor was looking over some files that had been sent to him previously. He read them, vigilantly, making sure that there were no mistakes. He was actually flabbergasted at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents. The new cast system of the CIA was very much unneeded. But then, he thought, perhaps they chose him, because he held no bias about the topics the documents pertained too. He though about the documents for a moment, thinking if the Terrorist threat really posed a threat.
He sat in his chair, on the 5th level of the Amniplex Building, working to finish a job, that he given almost no time to do. It was midnight, and he was the only one there.

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited October 30, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a lot more than 13 lines. 13 lines would end at "It was midnight, and he was the only one there".

Good to see you're still working on this.

Unfortunately, at present your writing comes across as stiff and clunky. I think you need to put in a lot of work in order to improve your grasp of written English.

What I suggest is that you write a lot and read a lot. Practice and exposure to writing will help you formulate sentences that flow and give up their meaning easily.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Sooo, it's worse then the original, or just as bad? Also, you might notice it is longer by the title of the thread: Zeta Reticuli Edited and EXTENDED

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I would say that the part I read was at the same level as the original.

I did notice the title of your thread, but you should note that the rules are that only 13 lines should be posted, regardless of the length of the story.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Okay then, it would just be useless now to chop it down now, as I want to know if it got better from the first version. Any specific suggestions to make it better? They would be appreciated.

Such as: More descriptive, less descriptive, longer sentences, shorter sentences.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Too often, stories get lost in the words, which seems to be happening here. Hone every word to say what you mean, and craft each one to work in concert with their companion words.

quote:
Anstor was looking over some files that had been sent to him previously. He read them, vigilantly, making sure that there were no mistakes. He was actually flabbergasted at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents.

Again you have words working against each other, notably, 'looking over,' which implies a more casual action, fighting with 'reading...vigilantly,' which suggests a more intense action. Plus, the sentence structure is rambling, doesn't hook the reader.

Read the first three sentences out loud, and you'll hear no tension, no urgency. They have too much of a 'once upon a time' feel. Try for something more direct. For instance:
Anstor poured over the CIA files, searching for mistakes.

Don't let your frustrate you out of your story. Writing is all about rewriting. And rewriting. And rewriting.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Thanks, that has really helped. You don't mind if I actually use the example you gave do you? I know it's supposed to be my story, but I really like that.
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Well, you might want to use "pored" rather than "poured".

I don't have any specific suggestions to help with this particular story--my comments were intended to point you in the direction of improving your writing in general. I could tell you how to fix everything that's wrong with these 13 lines, but what about the next 13? Or the 13 after that? I think you will learn a lot more about writing by extensive reading, critiquing and writing than by having me rewrite your opening.

zetars
Member # 2956

Okay then, I did use pored in my story just to say. But, you are right about extensive reading, I am doing so. I currently am reading 5 books. Too many I know, you don't have to tell me. Your comments have really helped, interested in reading the full [unfinished] version?

(Currently 3,720 words)

ianthepetrock
Member # 2850

- posted      Profile for ianthepetrock   Email ianthepetrock         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing i saw, this doesnt have anytihng to do with writing though, is that he notices its raining by looking out the windows, i would think he would hear the rain, if it was a big glass windows a i guess
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

...logic...most people don't have it. but you are right.

'common sense isn't so common'

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anstor was looking over some files that had been sent to him previously.

If they had been sent to him, key word being had, then yes, they were sent to him previously. This is superfluous information. Cut the last word and rework this sentence so that people actually care what the file pertain to, like saying so up front.

quote:
He read them, vigilantly, making sure that there were no mistakes.

No comma necessary between them and vigilantly or vigilantly and making.

quote:
He was actually flabbergasted at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents.

The word choice is bad. Flabbergasted sticks out. And judging by this sentence it tells me you probably know little about the CIA or its protocol. What exactly is a mid-level officer? Are there officer's in the CIA or agents? What is mid-level?

quote:
The new cast system of the CIA was very much unneeded.

I don't know what thas means, but if you're implying there shouldn't be any ranks within the CIA you better explain why because that's a very ignorant statement.

quote:
But then, he thought, perhaps they chose him, because he held no bias about the topics the documents pertained too. He though about the documents for a moment, thinking if the Terrorist threat really posed a threat.

You're being so vague in the beginning that it's off putting. Either tell us what the files are about or not. Don't dangle them out there like he knows and doesn't feel like saying so. And terrorist threat really posing a threat? That's sloppy.

quote:
He sat in his chair, on the 5th level of the Amniplex Building, working to finish a job, that he given almost no time to do.

Does this mean he doesn't care enough about the assignment to put time into it, or his employers didn't give him time?

quote:
It was midnight, and he was the only one there. This gave him quiet, which by this point in time, he needed very badly. He veered his head to right, looking out the window, to see that it was raining. Being alone in the building sort of frightened him, but he eventually ignored this impractical fear.

He wouldn't be alone in a CIA building ever. There are always night shift guards. And you explain too much.

quote:
I shouldn’t be afraid anymore, it was 30 years ago. 30 years previously, when Anstor was but a 30 year old new staff, a mass murder had commenced in the Amniplex building. Anstor was shot twice, three of his friends being killed. The killings had since become known as the Amniplex Massacre, as 58 people had been killed. 21 years afterwards, in 2065, National Amniplex Remembrance Day (N.A.R. Day) had been created, to commemorate those who died. His office had not seen tumult in days and for this Anstor was glad.

That whole paragraph is just a mess of needless exposition and should be cut.

Basically, it's not often I can fine something that bugs me in a piece on a sentence by sentence basis. That's a clue as to how much work this piece actually needs.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

(shudder) Quotes, so many quotes. (shudder)

Well, that's a lot of stuff, and for most of it, I agree with.

Well, I know nothing about the CIA...nothing...absolutely nothing, but you are 100% right, and that will definitely have to be changed.

Next, I am currently re-re-writing. Thanks!

zetars
Member # 2956

Re-re-written.

Anstor was poring over CIA files that had been sent to him. He read them vigilantly making sure that there were no mistakes, grammar and spelling alike. He was actually thunderstruck at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents, and he couldn’t help but think at this moment the new cast system of the CIA was very much unneeded.
But, since the Terrorist Attack in 2043 it was understandable that they would change the entire set of the ranks of the CIA. 2 Million Dead, he could agree, but only to a certain point. Instead, they changed everything. Took three years to remodel, but he STILL hated it.
But then, he thought, perhaps they chose him, because he held no bias about the topics the documents pertained too. He thought about the documents for a moment, thinking if the Terrorists really posed a threat. How could they?
He sat in his chair, on the 5th level of the Amniplex Building, working to finish a job, that he had been given almost no time to do. Should have given me more time, I need more time. It was midnight, and he was the only one there, save the guards. This gave him quiet, which by this point in time he needed very badly. He veered his head to the right, looking out the window, to see that it was raining. Being alone in the building sort of frightened him, but he eventually ignored this impractical fear. I shouldn’t be afraid anymore, it was 30 years ago. Thirty years ago a horrible massacre ha ensued at the Amniplex building.

apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
"I agree with, but for some of it, your full of crap."

Rather harsh language for somebody who'se taken time out of her day to look over your work. What if she had just called your paragraph crap and left it at that?

I know you mean well, but your etiquette needs work.

As does your writing.

"Anstor was poring over CIA files that had been sent to him."

Don't use passive forms like "was poring" when the more active form "pored" works better.

" grammar and spelling alike."

He's editing files, supposedly given to him in an emergency situation, for grammar! It may be crucial to us writers, but somehow I think Anstor should have more important things on his mind.

"He was actually thunderstruck at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents, and he couldn’t help but think at this moment the new cast system of the CIA was very much unneeded."

Still no good. It conveys surprise, but nothing more. I get later in the sentence that he's appalled (now THERE's an active verb) at the CIA's break from the usual hierarchy. Saying "was very much unneeded" is a very dull way to say what should be a powerful reaction from Anstor. Why not put us in his thoughts?

Here's a more active way. Have HIM chew out the CIA, maybe scatter the papers in disgust, then, realizing he didn't have much time left and that the gov't really DOES need him, he gathers them up again. While his back is exposed picking up the documents, he could feel the paranoia about being in the Amniplex Building building late at night.

Do you see the difference? No info dumps, and we're closer to the character, instead of just being told how he feels, we can see and hear him feeling it.

I'd continue, but I wouldn't want to be accused of being full of any excrements.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anstor was poring over CIA files that had been sent to him. He read them vigilantly making sure that there were no mistakes, grammar and spelling alike.

Good writing is about being concise where you can be, and using your alloted word count to add description that matters most. You can shorten the first two sentences by simply saying:

"Anstor was poring over CIA files that had been sent to him for proofreading."

Proofreading often means checking it over for not only spelling and grammar, but often for errors of fact.

quote:
He was actually thunderstruck at the idea that the heads of the CIA would choose him, a mid-level officer to scan such top secret documents, and he couldn’t help but think at this moment the new cast system of the CIA was very much unneeded.

I think that sentence is very much unneeded, too. You may have meant "caste" system? If so, the term isn't really appropriate here, as it has religious and socialogical/cultural strata implications. I suspect you meant "rank" instead of "cast/caste."

You would benefit from doing some research on the CIA, ( http://www.cia.gov/ ) but don't let it derail you from writing what you imagine right now. You can always go back and edit this segment to make your details more accurate.

Don't let all the crits discourage you. Go with the vivid ideas you have, and bolster your knowledge as you go along. You have a way to go between where you are and where you seek to be. The great thing is you'll get better with each word you write. Your idea has merit. Keep working on it. And keep researching.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

I apologize for the full of crap statement, that was indeed rude. And to all, feel free to make any comments, for you will not be accused of full full of excrements!

Actually, I feel RAELLY dumb. Caste, how could I mess that up, I watched Gandhi. Thanks for the ideas, I have lots of editing to do. I WILL CONINUE!!!

[spelling and grammer mistakes jokes]

zetars
Member # 2956

New beggining, WAY over 13 lines. ANy suggestions as to make them better, I know there are ways.

“AHHH!!!” Anstor screamed, throwing the papers about. “I have had enough of this! This is truly enough!” After proofreading for what seemed an entire day, Anstor had finally had it. The files seemed to be hanging in the air for a few moments until their slow descent to the ground approached its end. They fell to ground, and Anstor heatedly, looked at the files, anger burning inside of him. I am too important for this, how could they use me for this?
He looked back at them, and realized they needed him. None else could do this work that Anstor had been entrusted to do. He was a midlevel worker, recently reappointed due to the new classification of the CIA. This event was viewed horrifically among those who worked for the CIA.
What was wrong with these idiots, why would they change the Hierarchy, it was fine as was.
But, since the Terrorist Attack in 2043 it was understandable that they would change the entire set of the ranks of the CIA. 2 Million Dead, he could agree, but only to a certain point.

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited November 01, 2005).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! Pouring...poring...that was a poor choice of word! Can't believe I didn't catch it. I'll have to assign myself some punitive laps for my lapse.

I know this board is divided on how to critique, whether to simply say what's wrong, leaving it to the writer to figure out what you mean (which can be a problem), as opposed to giving suggestions for fixes. I'm a bit of both gal. In my own WIP, I've used a line one critiquer suggested. I've also ignored a lot others. If a picture is worth a thousand words, an example may be as well.

Pssst. Zetars. You're not supposed to tell a critiquer he's full of crap. We like to see good manners here. I know your writing is taking some arrows here, but it'll be the better for it if you deal with the comments properly. Not all will fit your vision for your story. As someone once said, "Some will. Some won't. So what." But all comments are actually useful, since even the negative ones cement in your mind where you want to go with your work by showing where you don't want to go.

And, after all this, I'm curious where you are going with this story. If you promise you can brave a full critique, feel free to send the whole 3720 words. I'll give it a shot.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest:
* Keep it to 13 lines; them's the rules.
* Start in some place where something interesting is happening. That way, readers like me will want to continue, to find out what happens next. What's happened so far is someone has been sitting in an office, thinking; I suspect what will happen next is more sitting and thinking. There's nothing to pique my curiosity.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Well, I sent it, and trust me, I am ready for the massive mistakes that ensue. It will probably take me around 4 or 5 years to comlete this story I know. Currently Zet Reticuli is 3,903 words, when I am finished it should be around 250,000.

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I don't have time to look at full mss, I'm afraid. Nor, on reflection, do I have time to critique fragments from people who repeatedly ignore the 13 line rule.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Zetars, please read the FAQ section about posting to the F&F. The 13 line rule is rigid and inflexible. Please go back and edit your submission, using the guidelines you'll find on the FAQ section. This is not a choice. Refusal to do this will result in a refusal to be critiqued. It is to your benefit. It sends the rest of us a signal of lack of respect for the guidelines of this forum, as well as a lack of research of the etiquette required. We have had to tell new members this, ad nauseum. If you want to benefit from the advice of experienced writers on this board, it is not a choice. And never EVER insult someone giving you a critique, or you will quickly find yourself on the short list of folks who no one will work with.

The key word in all I just said is this: respect.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Well, I once again apologize, and none will ever hear that from me again. As for the thirteen lines, it will be followed. I hearby pledge to be a better person! YAY!!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.