Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » NaNo Novel help - Good Housekeeping.

Author Topic: NaNo Novel help - Good Housekeeping.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have scads of free time and want to prod me as I work on my NaNoWriMo Novel, this is your chance. That's right, if you act now you can read multiple rough draft chapters of a Contemporary fantasy novel.

Seriously though, I'm not looking for critiques. Any line crits will be completely ignored at this point because I have to crank out 50,000 words in a month. What I would really love is if someone would volunteer to read chapter one and at most tell me what catches your interest and what you think will happen.

If you like it and want to read subsequent chapters, ask and I will send them but you are under no obligation to keep reading. Heck, you don't even have to finish Chapter one.

Exciting, I know.

The first 13 lines of "Good Housekeeping"

Grace's cat was sitting on her face. His purr sounded as if a mixer were stirring gravel in her ear. She shoved the cat away, ignoring Malkin’s mew of protest. Rolling onto her stomach, she burrowed under the pillow as he immediately began walking up her spine. This was why she had stopped sleeping with her door open, even when Jacques was out of town. It took another moment for her brain to process the obvious thought.

Her bedroom door was open.

Something shattered on the floor. Grace froze, suddenly and completely awake. The lamp. If the cat was on her back, then what had knocked over the lamp?

There were things in her house that regularly went bump in the night--was this one of them? Or had the burglar come back?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Mary, I'm game. Send me the first chapter and I'll give you some feedback. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read the first chapter, too.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! You guys rock. It's on its way.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Grace's cat was sitting on her face.

This is one for the grammaticasters. It sounds like Grace's cat is sitting on it's own face. Odd, image, but hey! I'm hooked.

Edit for smilies and: Seriously, I liked it, the he/she thing to differentiate the cat from the MC was a bit odd, but I was well hooked by line 13.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read chapter one. headolence@hotmail.com
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Whoops, sorry hoptoad and headolence, I missed your posts somehow.

Thanks for the comments. Headolence, I think that Dude and LMermaid have me taken care of at this point. Thanks though.

W. G. Tryndale
Member # 2979

- posted      Profile for W. G. Tryndale   Email W. G. Tryndale         Edit/Delete Post 
I wana read it to!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh you crazy people. I had a crazy moment of incorporating some of Dude's suggestions, even though I am not supposed to edit at this point in NaNo. I needed a breather from creating new chapters and it still increased my wordcount. That's good, right?

So, I've sent it off. Thank you both.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.