Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Here's the deal...

Author Topic: Here's the deal...
Luxie
Member # 2987

- posted      Profile for Luxie           Edit/Delete Post 
This is destined to be a 'short short story.' Around 2000 words. I know where I want it to go, I have most of it written, but I don't think it has the flavor and tightness I want it to have yet. It's been so long since I've written something through to completion that I'm sure it sounds different to everyone else's ears than it does to my own... so I'd like to know if I'm anywhere near the mark.

Comments and gut reactions sincerely welcomed. Write down the first thing you feel! Anyone who wants to read the rest of it will receive red carpet treatment. Here goes. Please forgive me if I miss the 13 line limit- I'm measuring it as well as I can.

"The apartment was too small; it had been too small for Ellie by herself, even before Pete moved in. The walls and corners were awkward, turned tightly, as though you weren't supposed to want to get up and move freely from room to room. The walls themselves were made of fiberboard, covered with the kind of cheap paneling found in 1970s basement remodels. The bathroom was angular and depressing, with no bathtub.

"At first Ellie had considered renting the place a mistake, but it was so damned cheap, and she was there so rarely, that it hadn't really mattered. True, there were times when she had come home from work and up the three flights of stairs exhausted, feeling as though she was voluntarily closing herself into a shed instead of someone's normal living quarters. "

[This message has been edited by Luxie (edited November 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 08, 2005).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with your assessment. I like the description of the apartment, but you could cut it by half or more and it would be as good.

There are mysteries cropping up I want answered immediately.

Is Pete a husband? Boyfriend? Something else?

Ellie is there rarely: why's she renting it? Maybe you meant she spent very little time at home.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I second wbriggs assessment. I think you could cut down the description of the apartment and it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise it seems clean and well written. I like the easiness of it.

I can't read right now, I'm totally swamped, but if you could wait a week or so, go ahead and send it my way.

Edited to say: The first 13 stop at "instead of someone's normal living quarters" You measure in 12pt Courier font with 1" margins.

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited November 08, 2005).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luxie
Member # 2987

First of all, thanks for straightening me out on the 13 lines- I did read the directions but obviously mis-followed them! Secondly, thanks for the input. The apartment is an important theme in the rest of the story, which is probably why I dwelled on it, but I’m glad you guys think it could be shorter since the story is so short I want to get into the action. I may just eliminate the second paragraph.

If anyone wants to read further, please please let me know. I would love your input!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
at 2000 words, I'd read it.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luxie
Member # 2987

Here's a redo of (what I hope are) the first 13 lines. I'm hoping this is getting a little more into the theme of the place- which centers around the two of them melding their lives together in this tiny space.

The apartment was too small; it had been too small for Ellie by herself, even before Pete moved in. The walls and corners were awkward, turned tightly, as though you weren't supposed to want to get up and move freely from room to room. The walls themselves were made of fiberboard, covered with the kind of cheap paneling found in 1970s basement remodels. The bathroom was angular and depressing, with no bathtub.

Then Pete had moved in, three months after they met. And for awhile the place hadn't seemed so bad. It was exciting, living together for the first time. They'd hung his tapestries on the fake paneled walls. She made slipcovers for their unmatched furniture out of white bedsheets.

headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good. Like you already know, however, it needs a few slight alterations. That is, your word choice in some places needs to be tweaked. Can't say much. Just keep working on it is all.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. G. Tryndale
Member # 2979

- posted      Profile for W. G. Tryndale   Email W. G. Tryndale         Edit/Delete Post 
I am drawn into this story. I like it. I would also like to see where it goes.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.