Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Currently Untitled

Author Topic: Currently Untitled
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written something but I feel it's not the best I can do. I feel I can do much better considering that's why I'm here. I'm not going to post the first 13 lines as I want people to read the whole thing and then give me their feedback which I don't want anyone to hold back on.

If you think it sucks then say what stands out the most, if you think it's good but can be better please tell me how I can make it better.

If anyones interested in reading my story please leave your email here and I'll check back in a day or two to see who has left their email and then send it to everyone.

Thank you for time!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the reason for posting the first 13 here is to act as a hook; to tempt people into wanting to read more. Without that hook - and without any information as to either genre or length - you're asking a lot in terms of commitment from other people.

I'm afraid I can't take you up on the offer. But good luck.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leigh,
Like tchernabyelo said, except to add: There are people looking for others to join their writing/critique groups (Smaug comes to mind). You may find them in the Open Discussion forum. If not you could always post a request yourself and get one going. It is a good way to have whole pieces read and critiqued so long as you are willing to do it for others.

Edit: to spell tchernabyelo correctly. Got to figure a mnemonic for that one.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Leigh. I'm afraid tchernabyelo is right. You're going to be hard pressed to find help if you don't at least post a few lines here. Just leap, you may be surprised at how much it can help you to get the first two paragraphs tightened up. You'll learn a lot, and it will help you with the rest of the piece.

Anyway, good luck!

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno how its supposed to be pronouced but I think it like "Churn a bell, Yo!"

edit: probably its "Churn a Bee El oh"

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest http://www.concentricus.com?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

i should have really put in the genre and length i guess. i forgot all about that. i'm sorry! the genre, well i guess its a fantasy set in modern day world, life Earth and cities and stuff, a normal life. the length of the part I wanted people to read is about 1500 words.

I guess it was wrong of me to ask this of people.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, don't worry.

I am a sucker for contemporary fantasy. Will almost always bite and I want to read other Aussie writers. If you do decide to post first 13, I can guarantee you that least one reader for 1500 words.

(I can do short reads at lunchtime during work, but am not good for longer ones at home... you know, life and stuff get in the way there. )

edit for clarity

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvus
Member # 2632

- posted      Profile for Corvus   Email Corvus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto: 13 lines will now buy two readers!

[This message has been edited by Corvus (edited November 12, 2005).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

quote:
Ditto: 13 lines will now buy two readers!

alright i will post the first 13 after i tweak it a bit because hoptoad has already given some advice on making it better.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding my nick:

Actually, I'd pronounce it closer to "Chair nab yellow", bold indicating the stressed syllables.

And put a Slavic accent on, so the consonants are clarified and not liquid.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.