Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Connor

Author Topic: Connor
Brecca's Sister
Member # 2925

- posted      Profile for Brecca's Sister   Email Brecca's Sister         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a seven page double spaced short story, about 2,000 words. I know it still isn't as good as it could be and it'd be awesome if someone could give me feed back on all of it.

---Bethany

Mercy hid her face. Her son, Connor, sat in his booster chair and mashed peas on his plate, telling a story to his little brother, Courtland. Mercy cried. The high chair rattled and banged from Courtland’s fist. Connor’s voice dipped and flew through the sound, and when the noise stopped, Courtland giggled and hiccupped. Connor laughed along, “You’re a funny baby.” They had seen Mom cry many times.

As a fact, cars go past the driveway every so often. But then there is always a time when one does not. The garage door clanked and turned open and a truck pulled in. Not until the engine turned off did Mercy jump to her feet. The counter needed wiping and the dishes needed washing. Connor needed to be let down. The peas needed to be swept. Don’t let him see your tears.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 10, 2005).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the way you're writing, you should explore Mercy's thought processes in a bit more detail. Also, your writing could flow a little better. Of course, my two issues are related. That is, the narration seems awkward because you're halfway inside the head of Mercy. Very confusing. Lastly, I know I'm new here, but there's no need to apologize for your work before the reader has a chance to read it. Let it stand on its own.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read the whole story if you'd like to email it to me.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brecca's Sister
Member # 2925

- posted      Profile for Brecca's Sister   Email Brecca's Sister         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew there was something missing in the first two pages. It's fixed now. Here's what the new first paragraph is:

Mercy hid her face. She didn’t want her children to see her cry—but they saw anyway… and they didn’t care. They’ve seen Mom cry many times. Her son, Connor, sat in his booster chair and mashed peas on his plate, telling a story to his little brother, Courtland. The high chair rattled and banged from Courtland’s fist. Connor’s voice dipped and flew through the sound, and when the noise stopped, Courtland giggled and hiccupped. Connor laughed along, “You’re a funny baby.”
Soon the garage door clanked and turned open and a truck pulled in. Not until the engine turned off did Mercy jump to her feet. He must not see this mess, even though you're tired you must go on. The counter needed wiping and the dishes needed washing. Connor needed to be let down. The peas needed to be swept. He cannot see your tears.

Thank you Headolence! Thank you LMermaid, it shall be sent.

---Bethany

[This message has been edited by Brecca's Sister (edited November 11, 2005).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't "They've seen Mom cry many times," read, "They had seen mom cry many times."? I think "have" should be "had", and I don't think "mom" needs to be capitalized.

Also,"As a fact, cars go past the driveway every so often. But then there is always a time when one does not," seems like an awkward way to get the point across. In fact, the paragraph still works if you delete it all together.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, and I think it's improved by the change you made.

A few more improvements I suggest:

"In point of fact, sometimes a car stops in the driveway": We're taken out of the moment into a generalization, and when we come back, I'm unsure if we're in the same scene. How about: "She heard a car stop in the driveway."

I'm not absolutely sure we're in her head (the mother's). The reason is that she's crying, and we don't know why! So we can't be in her head. And yet we're in her perceptions. I think.

I get frustrated when the author won't tell us what the POV character knows.

I'd get really cranky if we don't find out ASAP; but better yet, tell us in the first sentence. It is, after all, the big issue so far.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brecca's Sister
Member # 2925

I'll just delete the car sentece. It works just as well, maybe better with out it, as headolence suggested.

[This message has been edited by Brecca's Sister (edited November 11, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.