Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Earths -- Sci-Fi

Author Topic: Earths -- Sci-Fi
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
the first draft was 2500 words, just started the rewrite and thought I should try this. does this opening grab you?

Sterling Gunnison stood in his line as the death ship landed. He entertained the idea that he may be walking onto the same ship that carried his father into the vacuum. It was a nice thought, one that would make his job a little easier. He took a deep breath of the fresh air and held it as men in wheelchairs forced him into the ship. The breath escaped and fell into the air system where it would be shred of all its wholesomeness. With it went Sterling’s last connection to Beta Earth.

“Are you the one,” asked a young alpha woman, “the one they say that knows?”

Sterling could tell that she was alpha from her stature, slumped in her chair from the disease but otherwise dignified. She was also wearing a name-patch that said Dr. Miranda,

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Your main character's name is eerily close to the name of a character in my novel: Soren Gunnarson.

The first paragraph reads okay, but it doesn't have that certain zing that a hook needs. It's too banal. I don't care about Gunnison.

After the first paragraph, it really falls apart for me. Consider:

A young alpha wearing a name tag that read Dr. Miranda wheeled up to him. She was clearly alpha, all alphas slumped in their chairs. She made a feeble motion with her hand that resembled pointing at Sterling. "Are you the one they say that knows?"

Start the next sentence with a reference to Sterling so that it's clear he didn't say that.

But your first paragraph is a problem. I'd like to see a one or two sentence creative opening about the death ships and what's going on before you finish up with what you wrote as the first paragraph.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited November 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather confused.

I don't know what "his line is"; why going on a ship his father took will make his job easier; what his job is; what's "death" about this ship . . . I think I could take having some of the peripheral things delayed, but since I really don't understand anything about what matters here, I lose interest.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit lost myself. I understand he's leaving earth, but beyond that I'm afraid I haven't a clue what's going on or why I care.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lerxster
Member # 2827

- posted      Profile for lerxster   Email lerxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to read the rest.

This didn't flow too well for me. I had to read too much of it two or three times before I was able to understand (that could mean I'm a moron, though ). For example, with all of the people in the wheelchairs, I wasn't sure that your MC was walking and in a chair too.

It didn't stimulate as much visual imagery as I'd like the first reading to do. But, as I read it again, then again, I started to get a sense of surroundings.

Also, it feels contrived to read, "Are you the one," ... " the one they say that knows?". Do people really pause like that when they speak? Also, unless you're aiming for a colloquialism, it's the one who knows, not the one that knows.

lerxster at gmail dot com.

[This message has been edited by lerxster (edited November 17, 2005).]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MG
Member # 2938

- posted      Profile for MG   Email MG         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you the one,” asked a young alpha woman, “the one they say that knows?”

Sterling could tell that she was alpha from her stature, slumped in her chair from the disease but otherwise dignified. She was also wearing a name-patch that said Dr. Miranda..."

That was the part that hooked me, though I agree with the suggestions made by Spaceman.

All that came *before* confused me a bit. I'm new at this critiquing thing so i can't really offer much advice. However, I think the first paragraph has too little information about too many things: Beta Earth, the ship he's getting on, the job he has to do, his father and the 'shredded air' . See what I mean?

Other than that, if you're looking for readers, you have one here

Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does this start just before he leaves Beta Earth? I see nothing happening in this scene that will come back to be important later. The reference to his father can be just as easily referenced at a later time.

His meeting with the Dr might be where this story starts.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second MG on the quantity of unexplained information.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. You've confirmed some of my fears, this'll help.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.