Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » My Lonely Whispers (working title) sci-fi --Revised

Author Topic: My Lonely Whispers (working title) sci-fi --Revised
Natosis
Member # 3001

- posted      Profile for Natosis   Email Natosis         Edit/Delete Post 
I revised the beginning because the new one makes a lot more sense with the rest of the story. Tell me if it's more of a hook or not. It's over 5.5k words at the moment, so if you're interested in reading the rest, let me know.

I, Dexter Trials, can't help that I'm different from the majority of other civilians. I stray away from large crowds. I don’t like them. They make me nervous. When I get stuck in them, however, I just stand there, fists clenched, waiting for the explosion. It never does come, but those memories are ingrained within me. It's like when they called me a killer...they just don’t understand what happened. It wasn’t my fault! They don’t know that I lost so much, too. These people can call me whatever they want, giving me those dirty looks as they shuffle their children away from me and probably whispering to them all the horrible things they think I've done. I may not like or be proud of what I've become, but I guess that's the life of the Paladin.

edited to update info on length of story

[This message has been edited by Natosis (edited November 20, 2005).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chadamas
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for chadamas   Email chadamas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Natosis. This is my first post here, so hopefully I've understood the rules and know how to do this! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you my thoughts on this opening.

First of all, I think it works as an intro. I'm not sure that this narrative style would be effective for an entire story, but as a beginning, it did a good job of capturing my attention.

I think your first sentence could be shortened to "I, Dexter Trials, can't help that I'm different." It's more concise and, to me, sounds better, but maybe the word "civilians" is important to your story (for example, right off the bat it told me that this is sci-fi).

The phrase "It's like when they called me a killer," should be omitted, in my opinion. I just don't think that it's convincing enough in the first paragraph. If you refrain from saying that, and leave it at "they just don't understand what happened," it would be more powerful, I think, and give the reader more room to wonder about this character's past.

Overall, I think this is an effective opening, and I'd happily read more.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
This is much improved over the previous version, though like chadamas, I think it's a bir wordy.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.