Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled - 2

Author Topic: Untitled - 2
Cheli
Member # 3029

- posted      Profile for Cheli   Email Cheli         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, 2 full chapters are currently written, but in need of revision. I am currently at work on a revised outline, and hope to begin the rewrite next week.

I am bascially looking for any comment on so I have a good jump from which to get rolling. I would especially love answers regarding what questions this raises and if its interesting....

I realize this starting point is after something climatic has happened, please comment on that from a readers view for me as well.

Thanks so much for reading this

Btw I counted 13 lines in word using 12 point. Hope its right....

Allison opened her eyes, but it was still gone - the garage, the storeroom, the house, all of it. All that remained was a smoking pile of rubbish, jarringly dotted with corpses of creatures she had thought were fragments of a nightmare She had hoped, somehow, that she was dreaming again – that this would simply disappear, like it had each morning for the last year.

Dream had become reality, as she had suspected it might yet hoped it would not. How foolish not to believe Grandpa. Not that it mattered any longer, at least not where they were headed. Allison clenched her jaw in anger, and if she cared to admit it to anyone, in fear.

The creatures had come in the dead of night and had struck fast, faster than Allison had even dreamed they would. She hadn’t been

Note from Kathleen: did you use 1" margins?

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 30, 2005).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
There is so much information here and the reason for that is you are telling us what happened and not showing us. As a reader, we would rather be shown the chaotic events that led to the house burning and the dismissal of the creatures that did it. Essentially by starting here you've chickened out of starting with something that would really grab the reader's attention.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samhaine3
Member # 3023

- posted      Profile for samhaine3   Email samhaine3         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with yanos. It would be better to jump right into the action. It would grab us better. Oh, and I hate the word whence, but then that's just me.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheli,

In spite of the mechanics, you have hooked me with the dream (nightmare) come true aspect of the story and I'd like to read more. The dilemma I find with "Show versus tell" is that maybe for the beginning its just more efficient to tell a little more than show. It takes longer to show than tell; and sometimes telling in the beginning makes events clear quickly. Hoping not to confuse you, but I find more disagreement over "show VS tell" than any other subject.

I'm interested in reading / critiquing your story if you care to email it to me.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that it was written well, but I want to feel like I am Alison, I want to feel her anger, her remorse and anything else for these "creatures".
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be fascinating to watch demons dismantle the house -- and exciting, too! Why not take us there?

Actually, that might be the end of the story.

But anyway, I think experiencing *remembering* an event isn't as interesting as experiencing the event itself.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.