Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Pioneer: The story of Earth after Humans(Sci Fi; crit. wanted, still in early plan)

Author Topic: Pioneer: The story of Earth after Humans(Sci Fi; crit. wanted, still in early plan)
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
---

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited December 03, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited December 03, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited December 04, 2005).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not the kind of thing you put at the start of a book. Maybe as the blurb on the back if you're lucky. This first 13 needs action and or suspense, it needs characters and it needs a setting.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
rustafarianblackpolarbear is correct in stating that it would be better as a blurb.

Theres no MC POV, no... nothing. Just bland and informative.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be OK to do this -- but it's not gripping enough for me. (It's unconventional, and probably with the good reason that we'd rather get involved with a character.)

But if you do this summary at some point, there's still a problem. You have 2 statements:
* A human probe is discovered 4.5 billion years after humanity is gone
* Earth is inhabited, but by another alien race, which knows about us.

Each is significant, and deserves exploration (probably with characters). But we find out almost nothing about the first situation before jumping to the next.

As others suggest: I'd say give us a character, put us in its life, and we can pick up these facts as we go.

Over 4.5 billion years after the human years faded from existence, one of its [whose?] probes crash landed on an INHABITED planet AND WAS EXAMINED BY ALIENS.

another intelligent species resided upon the earth, cultivating its natural resources, and communicating with its semi-intelligent native life. Signs had shown that a once very intelligent species occupied it, but either died out, or left…

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this is not the beginning of a story. This is the idea for the story itself. I have 20 or 30 snippets like this in my 'ideas for stories' file.

There's nothing wrong with it as a story idea, but F&F is not for ideas, it's for written stories. Develop this idea, then post when you've actually written it.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.