Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Elements (working title) First 13

Author Topic: Elements (working title) First 13
scm288
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A short story I just got the idea for. Here are the first 13:

It was just a wall—a plain brick wall, a little worn, and a little old, but just an ordinary cemented heap of roasted red clay. Rick gave it no second thought.

That is, until he heard the whisper.

A chill ran down his spine. He knew it had come from the direction of the wall—maybe even from the wall!—but he knew he was not losing it. He turned to stare at the wall, then at his watch, then at the wall, then looked around to see if anyone else had heard it.

You’re a dead man, Rick. It sounded in his head. Again.

He definitely was losing it. He looked around again. No one was within twenty feet of him, so he started to feel across the wall, feel for the wire or whatever it was that spoke to him.

[This message has been edited by scm288 (edited December 06, 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It's not bad, but I'm not quite hooked.

*begin personal taste statement*
The first sentence didn't particularly do anything for me. I don't really see anything wrong with it. But by the end I was getting bored. Maybe it was a little long?
*end personal taste statement*

The phrase 'ordinary cemented heap of roasted red clay' is a mouthful and a half.

"Rick gave it no second thought." I think, tense-wise, this would flow better as "Rick had given it no second thought." Or something like that.

"but he knew he was not losing it" This felt awkward to me. It sounds too definite, like he scientifically knows that what he is hearing is not a figment of his imagination. Chances are, he doesn't really know, but rather doesn't think he's losing it. Or you could state it emphatically, like "he couldn't be losing it...could he?" or "he was pretty sure he wasn't losing it."

Why did he look at his watch? That seemed like an arbitrary action that didn't need to be there.

Why would a wire speak? Do you mean a little microphone on a wire? Does he specifically think of a wire for some reason?

Also, if the voice is sounding "in his head" (twice!) then how can it be coming from the wall, or a wire, or anywhere else? Maybe you mean in his ears? If it's in his head, that suggests non verbal communication to me, and that wouldn't make a directional sound.

Where is he? I have no idea what the setting is. You don't have to give much, but just a clue or two as to whether we're inside or outside, in the park or on the sidewalk, etc.

I can't decide if I'm hooked or not. I'm half curious about what happens next, i.e. I have a passing interest in where the voice might be coming from. However, I don't feel like I have a reason to care about Rick yet. I don't know a thing about him, so I don't really care if the evil brick wall lures him closer and then eats him. Better him than me.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd skip paragraph one; it's about something not seeming worth notice.

The next bit confuses me. Did he have an auditory hallucination? If so---or if it was a real sound---he doesn't seem too alarmed.

I can't give much in the way of suggestion yet, because I don't know what's intended.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianJKoch
Member # 2966

- posted      Profile for BrianJKoch   Email BrianJKoch         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a little rough, but it was good enough to hold my interest. I would have kept reading
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
As is, it doesn't draw me in too much. If you started with the phrase "You're a dead man, Rick", it would probably have hooked me right away.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with NMgal. The first three paragraphs establish the wall talking to him, and felt a bit repetitive to me.

I'm interested in the idea, but the first three paragraphs I could have skimmed or skipped.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.