Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Which one do you like better?

Author Topic: Which one do you like better?
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so I've written these two stories (well, fragments of stories, I should say :P) and, well, I'll get to the point, I want to know which one you think is better.

1. I switched the sound on, typed in my password and thought, "This is it. This is my morning of glory, my chance to prove myself to /them/." In, and out. In, and out. I relaxed my breathing and mentally prepared myself for the upcoming event, the extremely important match with Ren & her party; and held the silver necklace that was given to me by my mother...
I slipped on my virtual reality visor; and my character, Tsukiko, came into focus. Her slender figure stood, and began to walk towards the door towering over the other objects in the room. The bright light of outside came into view, although there were a few clouds out in the sky. Her small sandals crunched in the snow. "Uh-oh," she thought. "my HP level

Alright, that was my first one, and here's my second. :P

2.I sheathed my sword and watched as my opponents' lifeless bodies began to slowly fade away. Without another thought, I turned around and began to walk in the opposite direction.
"Aren't you going to open those chests?"
I looked around until I found who was speaking (not an easy thing to do in an MMORPG). The speaker was a small girl with a fairly simple character design - the all-too-common bikini top and wrap-around skirt. It was hard to walk around anywhere in this game without seeing that outfit. Her hair was long, wavy and blonde, another common attribute to most female players avatars. Her weapon was a simple dagger, hardly useful when trying to take down multiple foes, and a small leather shield accompanied it, another thing that would be of no help in even

There. :P

Okay, so you can just post the number of your favourite, I guess. :P

Oh, and constructive critisism is always welcome!

Thanks!

{Edited to fix an error. =o}

[This message has been edited by x__sockeh__x (edited December 20, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 20, 2005).]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBishop
Member # 3055

- posted      Profile for TheBishop   Email TheBishop         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the first is better, hands down. I know right off that I'm reading an account of somebody playing an MMORPG and that they're preparing for an intense session. Also, the second one was broken up by your added comments. I know they weren't supposed to be there, but they still detracted from the experience.

One continuity problem in the first part: your MC puts on a VR helmet, which most people would assume means they're experiencing in-game visuals directly. However, his/her character/avatar then comes into focus, implying a third person view that follows the character from outside. This doesn't fit for me. It's definitely possible, but I would think VR helmets would be used primarily with games that put you into the first person/FPS view.

The first seemed to flow much better and kept my attention. It built tension whereas the second one seemed bogged down in game detail. Your MC is jaded and condescending, unconcerned with the loot. This is typical in a game, but it's hard to gain an interest in a character when right off the bat they are unimpressed with everything surrounding them in the opening sequence.

In short, the second part belongs to a later part of the narrative, if you keep it at all

Overall, I thought it was well done aside from some mechanical problems, but I'll let others point those out.

By the way, italics can be placed around text like <i>this</i>, just replace angle brackets with square brackets.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, thanks for that! :P I'll make sure to do some work on that second paragraph. :P

Oh, I might want to add, (and I should have mentioned this before, I know. :P) but these stories are two different stories. They don't have anything to do with each other (apart from the fact that they're both in an MMORPG). The characters have no relation whatsoever. :P Just thought that might help you guys out. :P

[This message has been edited by x__sockeh__x (edited December 20, 2005).]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the second one more, but then again, I already knew it would take place in an MMORPG.

I found this awkward: "...the extremely important match with Ren & her party; and held the silver necklace that was given to me by my mother..." The transition with the semi-colon just doesn't work. First off, the part after it isn't an independent sentence. It doesn't even seem to fit with the first part of the sentence. Does holding the necklace help her prepare somehow? What's the significance of it? Just say so up front. (And why the ellipses?)

Another thing. I recommend changing the direct thoughts of Tsukiko into narrative. For one thing, it's confusing. Can Tsukiko think independently of the first person MC? It would seem so, because you used "she thought", but that doesn't really make sense. For another, it sounds forced. Where as your narrative sounds natural up to that point, so I assume it would come off better in that form.

All in all, nice writing style, especially in the second opening. That's probably why I liked it better.

EDIT: I know it seems necessary to throw in emoticons for every sentence, since we can't see you type it. But, and this is just personal advice, take it or leave it, less is more. Treat your writing on the forum like character dialogue. You don't need to write narrative to describe the way a character looks during each sentence they speak for the reader to understand their mood and tone. Over-use of emoticons tends to be a sign of a younger person. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

[This message has been edited by apeiron (edited December 20, 2005).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bishop.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

"I found this awkward: "...the extremely important match with Ren & her party; and held the silver necklace that was given to me by my mother..." The transition with the semi-colon just doesn't work. First off, the part after it isn't an independent sentence. It doesn't even seem to fit with the first part of the sentence. Does holding the necklace help her prepare somehow? What's the significance of it? Just say so up front. (And why the ellipses?)"

She's mentally preparing herself for a fight with someone and holding a necklace..what do you think? Yes, it helps prepare her. Sorry about it not fitting right, someone suggested that I should tell what she's preparing herself for, because I didn't have it before.
The ellipses? You mean the "/"s? They're used to indicate emphasis. I didn't want to use italics in the story for it, because the italics are used for a sound effect in my story.

x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

Okay...the truth about this topic. Me and my friend were having a contest to see whose writing is better...I thought she'd win, she didn't think so. Mine was the first...hers was the second. ^^;;
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
And she was wrong. I lost so bad. Haha.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclectic skeptic
Member # 3046

- posted      Profile for eclectic skeptic   Email eclectic skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it up, very good, and most of the other posts were spot on. I had nothing really to add after reading theirs but I wanted to say that i was impressed all in all.

for me the first was the best.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I played with this idea as well and a friend suggested this for me, you might wanna see if it works for you as well.

Write the real world actions, i.e. pressing the keys, taking a bite of pizza, a sip of beer and what not.

Then follow that paragraph with one that shows the ingame results of those actions.

Bob adjusted his visor and rapidly typed on his keyboard, pausing momentarilly to gulp down a sip of coke and a bit of greasy cold pizza.

Then follow this with a detailed result of what happened in the game.

Or you could even expand on that and have a chapter that dealt with his real world actions and then in a following chapter how those actions are parraleled in the virtual environment.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited December 24, 2005).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that sounds cool. I'll try it out.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.