Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Great Mother, Great Father (3475 words)

Author Topic: Great Mother, Great Father (3475 words)
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Would like comments. This is a rewrite: OSC says he would like this story for IGMS, but not in the form he saw it. (Cool!) So I'm hoping the rewrite is satisfactory.

The first 13 are essentially carved in stone (since OSC liked them). Of course, you're still free to say they suck!

If you offer to read this and the other thing I have up . . . this is the one I'm more interested in, in terms of speed. I'll hope to send it out in early January.

As always, thanks for any and all comments.

---------------

The first chief of the Rapahoah Empire forced stranded time-travelers to work their technical skills to make his people great, building ships and airplanes and bombs to spread the worship of the Great Mother and subdue first the rest of North America, and then the world.

Now Europe, Asia and Africa were free again, no longer even paying tribute, but no one could stop North America from its blood sacrifices. Or from the slaughter of Cherokee and Iroquois rebels. It wasn't because of the Great Mother's help; She provides wisdom, not aid. As the entire city of Southport, destroyed by a hurricane, had reason to know.

Two days after the city flooded...

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the first paragraph and the last part of the second but don't understand the beginning of the second.
Maybe that's just me.

I just think this part could be plainer.

quote:

Now Europe, Asia and Africa were free again, no longer even paying tribute, but no one could stop North America from its blood sacrifices.

Free from what? There is a weird POV thing happening. Has Europe, Asia and Africa once been oppressed and now broken free from the Rapahoah empire. If so, the narrator sees this as freedom -- which means they oppose the empire. That is a powerful stance but we don't know who the narrator is yet. We have no characters yet so I hope they turn up pretty quick.

BTW: How could those lands being free stop North America performing blood sacrifice anyway? Was the European, Asian and African tribute paid in human lives?

How long is this piece? If it's under 2500 words, I will read if you want.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 20, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
wbrigs, I'd like to read it. Please email it to me. The opening really caught my attention, making me visualize stranded time travelers and wondering how they became stranded, what they are doing now and how they are doing it. Also, I have to admit that I'm interested in seeing what OSC likes in a story submission.

Calligrapher

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the title, but can't take on any crits right now. It sounds good, though, and the first 13 are solid.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read either one. Most likely it will be early next week before I get back to you. But they are short, so it could happen sooner.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Wbriggs, I'd love to read; it sounds intriguing.
Is it okay if I get back to you around Jan 3rd, though? I'm not sure I'll have time to have a full crit before I leave on Friday morning.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent!

(Hoptoad, the word count is 3475.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need more people to read it, send it my way.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclectic skeptic
Member # 3046

- posted      Profile for eclectic skeptic   Email eclectic skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
what I like about it: I love alternate history, Alvin Maker and so forth, very interesting Ideas here. No wonder OSC like it.

What I don't like: It seems like the first and second paragraphs are very disconnected, you bring up some big ideas in the first, and then you keep bringing up more of them in the second with no end in sight, it almost scares me out of the hook of wanting to know more. To me I just wanted to digest what you had already brought up.

POV is also a bit vague. it seems like your with the Emperor at first, and then it is all just narrator, and we hear nothing more about the emperor.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Will, if you are still looking for readers, I'll take a gander at it. Send to buce@charter.net with Hatrack in the subject header.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
wbriggs, I just sent you my critique.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.