Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Grandmaster

Author Topic: Grandmaster
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The second story about Julivel and Liadan. If you liked the first one ("The Final Trial") Please offer to read the second. I'd also like people who haven't read the other one to read this.

Looking for readers for the whole story and crits on what I posted below.

Story is 1200 or so words and Fantasy.

Grandmaster

Liadan waited alone in the council chamber. She sat, staring at nothing in particular, in the top of the three rows of benches surrounding the speaking floor. A single candle burned in the center of the speaking floor, casting the room more in shadow than in light. Any minute, her mentor, Julivel would arrive and hand her the name of the person she had to kill to pass her the last test she would ever have to take. She already bore the tattoo of a Master Assassin on her shoulder though it was hidden under her black leather shirt. Such an honor was not one she should advertise to the general public.

With a knock on the doorway, Julivel entered the room. He seemed more solemn than his usual snide, but amicable attitude.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it, but I'm going out of town and may not be able to get back to you until next week.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much on assassins as protagonists, but this one seems technically right. I'll read. (But not quickly; Christmas, you know.)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclectic skeptic
Member # 3046

- posted      Profile for eclectic skeptic   Email eclectic skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ill read, go ahead and send it my way if you still need readers. As far as the first thirteen it is pretty solid, I am interested enough to continue. I was kind of thrown by the sentence structure of the second sentence, I lost what the subject was by the time I finished it, could just be poor attention span
Posts: 60 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
A pretty nice opening, but a few things that I noticed:

The third sentence indicates *a candle burned in the center of the speaking floor*... this is picky but maybe "at" the center of the floor, plus repetition of speaking floor so quickly is a bit off-putting.

Also, the term 'general public' seems a bit out of place for this story setting I think. This is a modern term -- maybe masses, or just cut it out completely, the sentence still works.

Lastly, I don't think her mentor would knock if he were meeting a student. And the last sentence stripped down actually reads "he seemed more solemn than his attitude" which doesn't make any sense.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deRost
Member # 3089

- posted      Profile for deRost   Email deRost         Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely an interesting snippet, and I would like to read more! Some brief critique of what you have posted:

- The second sentence feels odd and broken the way it is right now. I don't know if this is the right way to say it, but the sentence describes a character action in the middle of describing another. (Does that make sense?) I think it would flow better putting the "staring..." at the tail end of the sentence. Like so:

"She sat at the top of the three rows of benches surrounding the speaking floor, staring at nothing in particular."

- I also agree that "speaking floor" is repetetive. This sentence could easily be re-worded to flow easier:

"A single candle burned at the center of the room, casting more shadow than light."

- This is based only upon what you have posted here, so it maybe un-necessary. The final sentence tells us that her mentor seems different; it doesnt show us. HOW is he behaving that makes him seem more solemn than usual? Is it the way he walks? Perhaps he isn't lifting his feet as surely as he normally would. What about his face? I know the room is dark, but keep in mind that your character has spent some time in this room already, and her eyes would be more accustomed to the light that someone just entering. Besides, as a master assassin she would be trained at noticing subtle nuances about a person's behavior. The way they walk. The way they hold their head. The way their arms move when they walk.

Try this sometime: Pay careful attention to the people around you. Analyse every detail of their behavior. Note their mood. The words they seem to favor using in their speech. How do they walk? Do they shuffle their feet, or lift them? Do they hold their arms steady at their side when they walk, or swing them? Do they clench their hands, as though they are thinking about something? Do they hold their head up high, or let their gaze follow their feet? Compare this to their other moods. Compare to other people. It's amazing what you notice when you start looking for things.

There are also some great books on body language. I remember reading one of them, and then a few days later riding the bus to work. Observing a young lady across from me, I could tell when she became uncomfortable with the people around her, when she was thinking about her personal life -- good things I think -- and when she seemed to be more at ease. Fascinating stuff!!! Just don't be obvious and leer at people. That may be what made her uncomfortable in the first place. :-o

Anyways, I am intrigued by what you have written, and I would LOVE to read more. Keep it up!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad, Not bad at all.

I like your idea but most of my problems are with your word choice and general diction. The story is told in a voice a little too heavy handed for my taste.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
"....the name of the person she had to kill to pass her the last test she would ever have to take."

I believe "her" should be deleted.

Your first 13 really gives me a sense of what the story is about. That's good because I know what I'm getting myself into as a reader. The bad thing is I don't particularly want to read a story about an assassin, as wbriggs mentioned above.

But, I'll read it anyway! Go ahead and email it to me!

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
I just emailed you my critique.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevyan
Member # 3093

- posted      Profile for Nevyan   Email Nevyan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any minute, her mentor, Julivel would arrive and hand her the name of the person she had to kill to pass her the last test she would ever have to take.

That sentence had me stopping to re-read it a couple of times. I felt that it could be done a bit better and offer an example below.

While your opening does have some intrigue to it I would rather have more flowing description of your Mains mood. She is after all sitting alone in a shadowy room waiting for someone she describes as having a "snide, but amicable attitude."

13 lines may be the hook for 'selling' a story to a reader but don't sacrifice description of what your Main is thinking/feeling/showing in your storytelling.

Best,

Nevyan

--
At any minute her mentor, Julivel, would arrive handing her a scrap of parchment with the name of the person she must kill scrawled on it in spidery writing. This mission would be the last test she would be required to pass.
--

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the feedback.

I do have to question how the writing she hadn't seen yet could be described as spidery...but that sentence certainly needs to be reworked and thanks for pointing it out.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.