Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » untitled first 13

Author Topic: untitled first 13
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking for some feedback on the first 13. Does it hook? How's the writing? Would you keep reading? That sort of thing. Not looking for a full critique right now. Thanks in advance.

-----------

Another string of profanities echoed along the hallway.

Beth uncurled atop her goat hides, her eyes adjusting in the moonlight from the room’s high window. “Kenian,” she whispered, reaching across. But he was not there.

Oh, Kenian, not again.

She wasn’t really surprised. Whereas she left in the mornings, after giving the place a quick cleaning and her father had gone, her twin escaped at night—sleeping the day away when he could, running on adrenaline when he must.

Beth listened to Tarn’s curses. It was true anger, not just her father’s habitual swearing. She sat up. Perhaps Kenian was on the receiving end. If so, she couldn’t just lie there.

[This message has been edited by Crotalus@work (edited January 03, 2006).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this does a good job of hooking the reader. It's very well written. The only problem I could see is the paragraphs. They are a bit too short and choppy. Maybe try combining a few of them so that they are longer.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DotcomRefugee
Member # 3088

- posted      Profile for DotcomRefugee   Email DotcomRefugee         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, very nice. "Oh Kenian, not again." - Very quick and powerful way of conveying the nature of this relationship and some of the conflicts to come. I can see now why First Thirteen critiquing is such a great learning experience.

Would I read on? Most definitely. Hook? Just to see what the argument is about, and what the deal is with Kenian. Impressions? Goat hides, moonlight, and proper names seem to imply a fantasy genre.

I wouldn't change a thing in this opening thirteen.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
It works.
Just one nit: I feel you should wait a little before mentioning the father's name. Come to think of it, he's her father. Why doesn't she think of him as "father"? In fact, the way she thinks of him varies in those first 13: at first, it's "her father", and then "Tarn". Don't start the confusion now: stick to one name, for the time being. There'll always be time to give his first name later on.
One other thing you need to clarify very quickly (but not necessarily in the 1st 13) is the settting: goat's hides suggest a rather primitive dwelling, which is at odds with the building's having a hallway. Not necessarily bad, but again, you'll need to address the issue at some point.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly, I think you've got a hook (say I, who rarely read fantasy, which I'm assuming this is). There are just some things I need to know earlier in this text, which are easily added:

As soon as you mention Kenian, tell us who he is. I can't enjoy her unease until I know who she's uneasy about.]

As soon as there's a string of profanities, tell us who's making them (Beth knows).

Also, I'm a little uneasy about Beth and Kenian sharing a bed (or was she "reaching across" something else?). How old are they? Beth seems adult to me.

But overall, nice work!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the hook works - I would keep reading. the only problem I ran into was this:

quote:
Whereas she left in the mornings, after giving the place a quick cleaning and her father had gone, her twin escaped at night

That sentence just seems a little awkward. Otherwise, I think it's well-written.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, great feedback. Silver3, once you see the condition of the hallways it becomes obvious that this is a dwelling in decline. I will probably go back and make 'father' the consistent label for Tarn. Will, Beth and Kenian are 12. He stays at her side to protect her from her older brothers, as explained later. Thanks all! Now if I can just keep it up and get an editor to keep reading
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.