Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Escape

Author Topic: Escape
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13

Sci-fi/fantasy short story 5,631 words

Request feedback on first 13 and critique of entire story if interested in reading more.

Trying for tension, surprise, alarm, outrage and identification with MC

The prisoner stood at his parole board hearing cowering in front of Warden Fred Evilsome.
"State your Prisoner Identification Number," demanded the warden.
"PIN 3.14159," he replied.
"Yes, I see from your record that you were apprehended seven years ago for taking a nature walk and photographing autumn leaves. You were also in possession of a paperback book."
PIN 3.14159 fidgeted and looked down as the warden continued.
"How do we know you won't revert to this type of destructive behavior again Prisoner 3.14159? You knew those activities were made illegal when productivity declined. Or, were you ignorant of the law?"

[This message has been edited by Calligrapher (edited January 03, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 04, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a good hook. Initially, I thought the prisoner was going to be bad, but as you explained the crimes I realized that it was a corrupted government--I think that helps deveope sympathy for the prisoner and develop the hook.
My only problem is the number. Did you purposly choose the prisoner's number as the number for Pi? For me it slowed me down because instead of thinking Prisoner number 3.14 . . . I thought Prisoner Pi...It just dependes on if it is necessary or not for the story for it to be that particular number.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
Jessica, Pi is definitely necessary for the story!
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't questioning the legality of what he was doing, but how are photography and possesion of a paperback book destructive?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

The Fae-Ray, you must read on to find out.
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Like Rush 2112. The High Priest of the Temples of Syrinx.

Yeah, I just dated myself.

"We are the priest
Of the Temples of Syrinx

Rush

Peace,
Scott

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
If you refer to him as Pin 3.14 throughout the piece it's fine, though it will become wearisome on the reader. If you call him Pi or Pin as the book progresses, then your better off just doing it immediately.

"PIN 3.14159," or Pin as he thought of himself.

Just go ahead and get it out of the way.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a gander.
Send it over.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

hoptoad, its on its way.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have problems with this. Giving pi as a prisoner id seems silly and funny; but nothing else seems silly and funny here. So I'm not sure if this is comedy or drama.

Suggestion: name the character in the first line. Another suggestion: give us some of MC's thoughts. It will help me care more about him (whichever character you've picked as MC).

I'll read.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited January 04, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Just seeing a numerical representation repeated makes the story unreadable.

I get a melodramatic feel from this. However, oppressive government is overdone without something new. Thinking math when I want to be using the other side of my brain (creative reading) is not the new I am looking for.

Because of the Math throw and the Evil warden I have a hard time taking the story even seriously enough to care.

why mention that the book was paperback? It would make more sense to mention that the book was fiction.

That second to last sentence is far too expository for dialogue. Never sacrifice the natural spoken word when you have the chance to express the same information through narrative.

Take the dot out of the PIN. The prisoner had a name before he was a prisoner, that how he thinks of himself, not as PIN 3.14159. Give him his name inside his head (and therefore on the written page). Not many people are going to get upset if Pi gets shot in the next scene because, well, he's just a number.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

Man I am seeing Rush 2112 and Queensryche's Operation Mind Crime in motion here. I like that, it gets my attention especially that his number is PI.

I would play around with the wording, maybe set the scene a bit more ominous and roll with it. Also, I would read a bit about the justice system. There is a difference betweena jail and a prison and I think you want a prison setting and you doing pretty well here by refering to the inmate by his number as that is how it is usually done in a prison. But I would read a bit on the prison system and the justice system, because ignorance is no excuse for committing a crime.

Peace,
Scott

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see. I think it's okay that you don't give PIN 3.14's name at first, as long as you reveal it later in the story. I'd like to read if you don't mind, my email is delphikib@gmail.com. It may take me a few days though. =)
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

"Thinking math when I want to be using the other side of my brain (creative reading) is not the new I am looking for."

pantros, you may be surprised if you care to read!

Calligrapher
Member # 2985

zodiaxe, with your background, I'd love to get your take on the story, if you care to read.
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

Sure, I'll take a look. The number thing has me curious and really interested. I'd buy the novel based on just that alone. Numbers express patterns. Patterns, if and when discerned, unlock the clues to the mysteries, especially prime numbers.

Like tracking a serial killer, understand his pattern and you understand how his mind works thereby, unlocking the clues to his next murder. Not saying that this is a murder mystery but the number play seems to indicate to me some sort of story in which clues maybe encoded or buried in the numbers.

Peace,
Scott

krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see you've put a lot of thought and effort into the opening.

Honestly, though, it doesn't hook me. The names of the characters seem to be a little too descriptive and give too much information away.

I'd shorten the prisoner's number to just 3141. Drop the "PIN". It carries the same symbolism, but it's more vague and doesn't telegraph to the reader that geometry and math are integral to the story, especially if surprise is an element you're striving for.

SPeaking of surprise and outrage, maybe the nature of his crime should be held for a bit. Try letting us think he's comitted something really heinous, then drop the bomb about taking a walk and reading a book.

From this little bit, I think you've got a really neat premise for you story, but I honestly couldn't say I'd want to read it. There's a little too much information up front.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
pantros, you may be surprised if you care to read!

But, I don't care. Hence my point. Your hook is not a hook for me.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.