Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » EGGSHELLS--reworked opening.

Author Topic: EGGSHELLS--reworked opening.
EthanK
Member # 2838

- posted      Profile for EthanK   Email EthanK         Edit/Delete Post 
This story is currently around 215 pages, but I don't consider it polished enough yet for readers. Just looking for some feedback on the opening, which I hope is more of a hook.

Eddie Fencer’s arm was surrounded by piranhas. They circled menacingly at first, one or two occasionally coming forward and toying with the idea of tearing a dime-sized chunk out of his flesh. Eddie’s hand made quick, lively movements and the silvery-red fish scattered, terrified.
He pinched the dull end of a razor blade between his thumb and index finger, wearily scraping algae from the inside of a large aquarium.
Eddie was careful to always move quickly but deliberately so as not to scratch the glass or knick the silicon edges. The piranhas were all huddled in the corner, now terrified of his gently swaying arm. They can’t see above the refractive surface. As long as you stuck your whole arm in and not the tips of your fingers, piranhas are cowardly little fish.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be interesting. Suggestions:

* I want to know he's cleaning the aquarium *before* I know about his arm among pirhanas. I was picturing somebody's arm, cut off, and thrown into the Amazon.

* I'm careful of discussing feelings of boredom, weariness, etc. -- you can do it, but you run the risk of having the reader feel bored and weary (by suggestion) and quitting the story.

* I want to know in this snippet why we'd want to read the story -- what it's about. I've cleaned fish tanks (not with pirhanas), and I didn't find it exciting!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening, for me, would work better if the contents of the tank were revealed first then followed by what Eddie was about to do !
Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with the previous posts.

And, well, I don't know if this matters much, but all 3 paragraphs start with "Eddie" or "Eddie's". =/

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
"As long as you stuck your whole arm in and not the tips of your fingers, piranhas are cowardly little fish."

Switching to second person here pulls me out of the story. Substituting "he" and "his" for "you" and "your" is consistent with your first paragraph(s).

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't other people use "you" as the indefinite pronoun, as in "You can't always get what you want"? I do, anyway. That's how I understood that sentence. (And I sometimes get that same sort of construction flagged in my work. Maybe I should pay attention.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.