Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Celestial Dark - Currently 2768 words. Reader/feedback greatly appreciated!

Author Topic: Celestial Dark - Currently 2768 words. Reader/feedback greatly appreciated!
Tragic3
Member # 3072

- posted      Profile for Tragic3   Email Tragic3         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow writers! Some of you may remember a few of my "first 13" attempts. Here ready for you to read are my latest draft of the first three chapters.
I would love to have some feedback from readers, so if you are interested let me know!

The story is a science fiction action tragedy/drama. More of a human and religious conflict, rather than a standard alien war type of story.

Here are the first 13 lines. Will they hook you?
---
Fireworks lit up the Royale District skyline and bathed the grandeur architecture in a radiant hue. So many fireworks that Private Eli Carmaine thought it could be mistaken for daytime. The eruption of color and light, punctuated every second by deafening rolls of thunder, had never ceased to amaze the crowd and even the watercolor night sky welcomed their presence. The whole city moved as one and the roar of applause and spectacle reverberated off the beige city walls. The planet Acarta was in celebration for the foreboding years ahead.
"So are you ready for this?" Private Renault murmured to Carmaine. Carmaine chuckled, picked up his rifle, and fell in line next to his shorter friend.
"For what? The parade?"

---
I apologize if it does not fit completely, and I thank the editor should she have to readjust it. I'm using a very basic word program that doesn't seem to give a very accurate count.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the small piece. I'm looking for readers interested in reading the rest that I have! Thanks for your time guys.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 11, 2006).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a very well written piece. It does hook the reader.
I think the second sentence isn't necessary and slows down the reader a bit. It seems as if it just introduces the MC which could be done later.

In the middle there are three sentences that start with the--I don't know if this is a problem or not but you might want to vary the sentence beginnings.

Instead of introducing the MC in the second sentence, you could do it before the dialog and if you still wanted to say that the fireworks were bright you could say that he shielded his eyes from the bright lights or something like that (That could even work after the first sentence . . . instead of telling that he thought it could be mistaken for daylight--show it through his shielding of his eyes)

I think that the Carmaine chuckled line would sound better after the second piece of dialog the "For what? . . . dialog.

The last piece of dialgo is a bit shocking and seems a little bit out of place. Maybe you could reword it-- maybe something bleak (like his being pessimistic) like "No, the inevitable war that will follow this ridiculous spectacle." It all depends up on what he means by it. If he has heard a rumor that there is going to be a war then he'd say it differently then if he were just joking.

I'd be willing to look over the first three chapters for you.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisker
Member # 3129

- posted      Profile for Talisker   Email Talisker         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the last line. It's a good hook that I think would make the editor want to turn the page.

But I'd skip the line about Arcata being in celebration "for the foreboding years ahead" - it takes the sting out of that last line.

Since you seem to be trying to create an aura of foreboding, think about your descriptions of the fireworks from the perspective of warfare rather than celebration. My wife worked with combat vets who have PTSD, and their experiences with the 4th of July are a lot different than ours.

What would it be like to be anticipating a war as a soldier, and to be at a fireworks display with the rockets and explosions and bursts of light? Let's see this from Carmaine's perspective a little. Most of us expect fireworks to be celebratory, but for many they are reminders of the horrors of combat.

Think about using terms like barrage, blast, broadside, discharge, hail, salvo, shells, storm, or volley (thanks thesaurus!), which are all words that imply combat or warfare.

We should see shells exploding in air, bathing the line of soldiers in blood-red light. People cheering in the distance as the soldier line up under the flickering lights and exploding volleys.

I love this opening, and the idea of soldiers marching off to war under explosions and the harsh light of fireworks.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tragic3
Member # 3072

Thank you two for the great response. I've already sent Jessica a copy. Talisker? Are you interested as well? If so, let me know and I'll send it your way.

I will definitely put the advice that was given to good use when I revise! Thanks again!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaleRider
Member # 3132

- posted      Profile for PaleRider   Email PaleRider         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I like it. The last line really hooked me.

I would agree with Jessica about the "chuckling" line, as well as the previous poster. Having experienced military service, there is a lot of anxiety generated in basic training, especially during live fire exercises, long road marches, screaming sergeants and the like.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raconteuse
Member # 3119

- posted      Profile for raconteuse           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the tone of your opening and thought that, overall, the writing style did a good job of conveying the scene.

"The planet Acarta was in celebration for the foreboding years ahead."

This sentence summarizes what, for me, was the problem with this opening. The mood is unstable: jubilant, then dark. The instability made it difficult for me to sense what sort of story I was "getting into" and made me uncomfortable as I tried to settle into the narrative voice.

As for style nits, I like the fact that your world is already detailed enough to have its own architectural history. Go ahead and capitalize Grandeur Architecture. It is a proper noun.

The second sentence would be better after a semicolon or a dash. Its purposeful incompleteness adds to the uncomfortable jarring effect I felt when I started the piece.

"even the watercolor night sky welcomed their presence" seems one description too many in an otherwise well-balanced paragraph. What's more, this phrase interrupts the natural flow from the idea of the crowd to the mood of the city's populace

"The whole city moved as one " should be followed by a comma. Two independent clauses joined by a conjunction call for the use of a comma.

I hope these suggestions are helpful when you do your rewrite. This opening has the feel of a "real" story- the kind that belongs in a magazine not in a drawer, so I really pulled it apart in hopes of helping you improve it.

:-)

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tragic3
Member # 3072

Those are very good points you made. And I couldn't be happier with the astounding compliment that what you've read is magazine-worthy. Thank you.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 

"So are you ready for this?" Private Renault murmured to Carmaine. Carmaine chuckled, picked up his rifle, and fell in line next to his shorter friend.
"For what? The parade?"

---

I think -- just my opinion -- that you need to have the "ready" repeated at the beginning of that last line. It's been so long since it was uttered for the reader.

Llike this --

"Ready for what? The parade?"

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
The description in the first paragraph dragged on a bit, but it recovers well at the end where the characters start talking. As raconteuse pointed out, there's a tad too much description of the fireworks.

"The planet Acarta was in celebration for the foreboding years ahead." I'm confused as to a)how they know the years ahead will be foreboding and b)why they'd be celebrating such an ominous thing. The reason for the celebration needs to be clearer.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dethfoot
Member # 3195

- posted      Profile for Dethfoot   Email Dethfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, I liked. I notice you changed the name of Renault since I last read it.
Very good, though. I really like the way it sounds. After hearing that response about making the firework descriptions more like the sounds of war and such, I kinda got a different feel on it, and really liked it. It really does capture a sense of celebration, but for something that to some, should it really be celebrated? its good. I would like to see the rest of it, if possible.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
"The eruption of color and light, punctuated every second by deafening rolls of thunder, had never ceased to amaze the crowd and even the watercolor night sky welcomed their presence."

This is a very long sentence and for me, it was hard to imagine this because all the images were strung together. I would break one or two of them up into smaller units so a reader has time to savor the wonderful images you are creating.

"The whole city moved as one and the roar of applause and spectacle reverberated off the beige city walls."

Not sure how the spectacle reverberated. I would cut "and spectacle."

Otherwise, very well done in my opinion.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.