Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Which is better?

Author Topic: Which is better?
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this isn't thirteen lines--it's only one, but I've said it three ways and I don't know which way sounds best or if one particular way sounds to cliche-ish.

Here are the options:

The words swelled in my throat—I couldn’t finish it.

The words lumped in my throat—I couldn’t finish it.

The words formed a lump in my throat—I couldn’t finish it.

I'm don't know which is better. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisker
Member # 3129

- posted      Profile for Talisker   Email Talisker         Edit/Delete Post 
The third one. Swelling to me has a more medical feel to it. The verb "lumped" doesn't feel right to me, but the third one seems to work best.

How about "the words caught in my throat" or "the words stuck in my throat"?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
How about - I choked on the words I should have said...
Don't let one phrase bog your story down Jessica, I speak from experience...sheesh I wish somebody had told me back then!
Best Wishes
John MC...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Unless you're done with the whole story and are in the middle of a massive line-by-line revision, just move on. Consequently, I prefer the second line. It's shorter.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want to avoid cliche (which a lump in the throat might be), think of some other metaphor for what you're describing.

quote:
My throat became a bottleneck so the rest of the words couldn't get out.

The words crashed together in a gridlock (or traffic jam) that wouldn't allow any more out of my mouth.

My panic (or whatever) tackled the words, and they piled on each other till nothing more came out.

My (whatever) sent the words into a landslide that blocked anything more from coming out.

All kinds of metaphors for hindering those words.

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited January 13, 2006).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one. It flows the best and has a more dynamic quality than the other two.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 

Don't worry about whether it's cliche or not as long as this particular sentence isn't a focal point in the scene.

It's a simple idea you are trying to communicate. Cliche means that it will be understood. Don't over complexificate.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately, I am doing a line by line (by line by line--does it ever end?)
I think I'm going to go with what I originally had-- a simply "She couldn't say it."
Once I've had a good nights rest, I think that it works best--but thanks for helping me out--I probably wouldn't have made the decision at all with out everyone's suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Jessica (edited January 13, 2006).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't decided yet, I like the first one. But I would suggest changing it to them, since you're talking about the words, and not the word.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.