Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story

Author Topic: Short Story
Surma
Member # 3155

- posted      Profile for Surma           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 12 lines from a short story written for my writting group. I got great reviews about it. But, I don't want biased praise... I can take honest brutality.. It is set in the future... it is a seasonal story. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Surma

“Let me!” Violet whined. “It’s my turn! You got most of the red ones already gone.”

Johnnie hated it when Violet whined. He could see plenty more reds. Besides, he liked the blue best. It was almost Christmas, so maybe he should be nice to Violet… a little.

“OK, OK! I’ll let you have the rest of the reds. You need to stop acting like a friggin spoiled brat though.” Johnnie said.

“Frak you! Mr. Pompous! Now hand it over, I want to finish the reds.

“What in Sam’s blue blazes are you two doing?”

Johnnie and Violet both looked with startled eyes at Mr. Smith. They scrambled to an upright position, both trying to look innocent.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 20, 2006).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, I want to know what the red and blue things are. I'm assuming they're smarties or something, but I don't know for sure.

Another thing:

You make the little sister sound like a little girl, but a few lines down she sounds like a teenager. If you're going to make her rude and obnoxious for her age, do so from the start, not after we've developed and image of her.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a big fan of not knowing what you're talking about. All this red and blue (blue blazes, by the way, being a very Yosemite Sam thing to say... especially in the future) stuff seems contextless and is making me, not care more because I'm interested, but care less because I'm impatient.

Also, do you have a title?

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surma
Member # 3155

- posted      Profile for Surma           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the title is Christmas Yet to Come

Also a few lines down I do say what the blue and red things are and I do define her age.. and you are right on both account about her age she is very young and a teenager all in one.

Surma

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my very unqualified opinion is that a few lines down is still too late to tell us. Why can't you tell us in that first line?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^
Agreed. I would try using a little less dialogue and more exposition. We need to have a better visceral sense of the setting, its characters, etc. to even begin wondering about two children and/or their desires. Not knowing what the colorful items are also inhibits my interest in the intro.

Inkwell
------------------
"The only difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You're starting the story at the wrong place. I don't know what's going on and I don't need to read to have kids fighting, I get that for real. I'm not hooked and I don't really care about what's going on. You need to give me something to grab, something that makes me want to like either character.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.