Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Unsure of Title (Work in Progress)

Author Topic: Unsure of Title (Work in Progress)
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, in my opinion, I haven't started in the right place, but I haven't found a way to string together the information needed and the actual beginning of the story into 13 lines.
So I've decided to post the first paragraph and introduce the MC.

---

Everyone's bottle contained something different, an image of something deeply powerful and significant to the individual who wore it. Winds whirled, suns shone, oceans roared -- all in the limited space of a 10cm tall bottle strung around each citizen's neck.

---

MC - Ren: I've decided to make her a sort of villain, but she's not exactly battling heroes. Here's another paragraph or so to explain things a bit better.

---

Ren was able to change her bottle's contents periodically without any document from the government, the people who directed the use of the bottles and made it possible for them to be changed.

It was as if the magic simply swelled out of Ren's bottle when opened - she often harnessed the six elements, which were water, air, earth, fire, light, and darkness.

---

So...yes. That's about it. I'm on my third page in what my computer defines as "reading format". =) Any opinions, constructive criticism, etc. appreciated.

--Brittany

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
You should have posted the 13 lines as one, it would have made understanding what you've written easier for old codgers like me
I think you could begin your story with Ren gazing at her 'new' bottle with a sense of rebellious satifaction. She looks at the rest of the people who conform ridgidly with a distainful eye?
Does this make sense?
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
myth_weaver
Member # 3166

- posted      Profile for myth_weaver   Email myth_weaver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking you are starting a little too informational and not descriptive, i.e., ". . . she often harnessed the six elements, which were water, air, earth, fire, light, and darkness."

This sentence seems awkward and like ingredients in a cake if you understand what I mean.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonfireEast
Member # 2498

- posted      Profile for DragonfireEast   Email DragonfireEast         Edit/Delete Post 

Its defiently an interesting idea, but the sample given makes it feel like just that, an idea. I know its difficult on here with only 13 lines, since the 14 line could have great character discription, but even then all I know is what Ren can do, and I know nothing about who Ren is.
Also, if you are going to be making the character into somthing of a villian, how are you going to make us feel attatched to, and caring about the character? If you start the character off that way, then Im going to feel dirty not really want to read it. But if you start the story before the character becomes bad, make us care about her, and then bring us along as she becomes bad (for a good reason, not just because you've decided she is a villian) then I would enjoy the story much more.

Good luck!
-(DfE)-

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duv2
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for duv2   Email duv2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really hooked….but maybe when you do have a first 13 I will better understand.

A couple of things confused me --- an image of something --- implies something static – not Winds whirling etc..

Is darkness really an element?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Duv2 - Darkness isn't really an element, but in this story it is.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Like another work posted yesterday, this sounds more like your outline than your story.

Sometimes it's possible to pack a little TOO much information into the first thirteen. I'd rather hear about Ren, a woman who wears this funny little bottle around her neck, and the world she lives in. If I'm interested enough in her, I'll probably read on to find out about the bottle and its significance.

Since you're making a villain your main character (a tip of the hat for bravery), we've got to really empathize with her and her struggles. George Lucas failed miserably at this trying to tell the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. The little goody-two-shoes kid becomes the galaxy's nightmare because he missed his mommy. In the effort to include cool lightsaber duels and battle scenes, Lucas never really let us feel Anakin's struggles as he turned to the dark side.

In short, be careful not to let your cool little bottles overshadow your characters.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things I want:

* what the bottles mean
* what Ren's struggle is -- that is, a hook

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.