Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Alien World

Author Topic: Alien World
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
A Sci Fi Short Story of 12,000 words in 7 chapters.
I'ld love people to read all of it and give me some reactions It's essentially "finished" and I've had a few good comments about my writing style from non-sf people...

They stood blinking in the sunlight as the bay door slowly opened and became a ramp leading downwards. The Landing Party looked like four businessmen who had just travelled six floors in a lift, rather than halfway across a galaxy. They stepped out into the sunshine and made for the speeder that was ready to take them to the Local Ministry. It’s doors hissed shut and off they went, almost silently. This was the planet Paxon, and the Inspection Visit was supposed to be merely routine.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest picking a viewpoint character; it's easier to relate to "he" or "she" than to "they."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
"the bay door slowly opened and became a ramp"

do you really mean to say the door turned into a ramp?

"The Landing Party looked like four businessmen" what do you mean they looked like four businessmen. Are they or aren't they?

They stepped out into the sunshine and made for the speeder that was ready to take them to the Local Ministry. "It’s doors hissed shut and off they went," Was it the doors to the lift that hissed. I lost track of this.

"almost silently." I'm having a hard time imagining how this sounds.

So far I feel no tension or anything that makes me want to read on.

I think the opening would grab me more if you focused on one of these "business men" and their feelings and observations rather than telling me about them as narrator.

Good details are here but you don't have my interest yet.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nitpick but it bothers me, so I'll point it out: "it's" is the contraction of "it is", "its" is possessive.

I'll agree with the others that this feels vague and hard to picture. Where is your viewpoint? Is there one character who is watching this? Or are you going for the camera in the sky approach? Be aware that most readers prefer a viewpoint from inside a character, and staying there. If you are in a character's head, will they really be thinking 'they looked like businessmen'? If it was me I'd be thinking '4 businessmen stepped from the maw of the ship. Or at least they looked like businessmen, but they must have been aliens in disguise.'

Not trying to write your story for you of course, you'll need to find your own words, but first settle the POV issues before even re-writing this.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not so sure that this can’t work as an opening. It needs polishing, though.

My first nit is their blinking in the sunlight AS the door opens. Ummm…I guess it’s already come down some when we peer into this story, but that is making me stop…and think…and assume. I don’t want to have to do that. It makes me worry that the author is going to do that to me all through the story.

I see the bay door. I think rather than “open” it might “drop” forming a ramp.

You are trying to cram a lot into the “four businessmen” sentence. You are trying – aren’t you? – to get around giving the reader details. Specific details. If it is a time and culture where people travel halfway across the galaxy…what does a typical businessman wear? A monocular jumpsuit with embedded tech? Does he have a surgically implanted computer so that his eyes have been replaced with metal? Does a floating ball hover behind him, his additional brainpower and interstellar communicator? You see what I mean?

I would identify the planet at the same time as you mention the local ministry. The Paxon Planetary Commerce Ministry or whatever.

You don’t need the stepping into the sunshine. That doesn’t really add anything to the story.

They boarded the Ministry speeder waiting for them. The driver took one look at the four and cut short his greeting. Wasn’t this supposed to be a routine inspection, he thought as he took the speeder up to cruising alititude.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with much of what the other posters have mentioned.
My additional comment is that I'd lose all the capitalization -- you've got the Landing Party, Local Ministry and Inspection Visit. No idea why any of these are capitalized but unless they are all specially designated as such for the story I'd lose the caps.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you for your excellent suggestions and comments - all gratefully received. You have given me much to think about!

Phil

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.