Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Trinity - new Ch. 1 - CAUTION - very mild eroticism

Author Topic: Trinity - new Ch. 1 - CAUTION - very mild eroticism
PMoore
Member # 3193

- posted      Profile for PMoore           Edit/Delete Post 
These are the first lines of an alternative chapter 1 for Trinity. Two experienced critics told me I had an "info dump," no hook, and no dialog, and that these would kill my novel (prevent publication).

Here is the first try at placing an action sequence with dialog as the intro. The conflict begins on line 17, when Sarah pushes Adam off the bed and shouts at him.

A caution - there is some very mild eroticism here.

Trinity, Chapter 1, first 13 lines:

“Why us, Adam?” Sarah asked in the darkness.

She must have thought I was sleeping. I could hear the sniffing and then the sudden whooshing of the tissue as she pulled it from the box. I opened my eyes. She was sitting propped up against her pillow. Even in the dim pre-dawn light I could see her naked breasts. Her pink nipples were erect.

“They’re not the final authority,” I said, reaching my hand over to her belly. I felt the warmth of her hand, still wet with tears, as she gently covered my hand with hers.

“But they always say the same thing!” Sarah cried now, tears running down her cheeks, falling to her breasts.

Comments? Critiques?

PMoore

trine2045@yahoo.com

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not hooked, because I'm hearing a conversation with no idea what they're talking about. Tell us!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto for me (what Will said).

You're hiding so much that the dialog doesn't even make sense. "Why us?" Response: "They're not the final authority" You're showing us a private conversation that we don't understand.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto wbriggs. This needs more info.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sethric
Member # 2826

- posted      Profile for sethric   Email sethric         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bother using the eroticism as a hook, it's cheap and uncouth; just give us the beginning, plain and simple.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Step back for a moment. Take a rewrite of the orginal first paragraph and then a lead in into this scene. That will tell what they are talking about. Then you cover a little dialogue, a little explanation, take out the feel of the first one as being a prologue, and give the reader a feel for the situation, the gravity and desperation of the situation and why the next events are so important. People like to fall in love with their characters, feel sorry for them, hate them. You can give them that right here. It will be longer than 13 lines, but the hook doesn't have to come at this point. This is just the point we are allowed to post. Keep that in mind. I know that I should.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMoore
Member # 3193

Thanks guys. Your comments were useful, and I have tried to apply what you said.

Here is another try:

Trinity, Chapter 1, first 13 lines:

We would never have a baby.

I think I have been able, in these last difficult four years, to accept this little cruelty of nature. It is not that I do not have high expectations, but I don’t let hopes rule my thoughts. For the most part, I was happy with the way things were now. I was happy. If we could not have a child, I would accept that. We had so much already.

“Why us, Adam?” Sarah whispered in the darkness.

She must have thought I was sleeping. I could hear the sniffing and then the sudden whooshing of the tissue as she pulled it from the box. I opened my eyes. She was sitting propped up against her pillow.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is not that I do not have high expectations, but I don’t let hopes rule my thoughts.

That but seems the wrong conjunction...

But just for the record, the rewrite is much better (and enlightening). The original didn't hook me. This doesn't either, but it's better... If you add that element of the untold- that "They’re not the final authority" bit... maybe. Keep at it. If you improve this much every time you rewrite, soon you'll have a great story. I don't know the status of the rest of the story, but I do know that stories can be improved upon.

BTW- I agree with the bit about the tackiness of the eroticism.

Toodles-
Fahrion Kryptov

[This message has been edited by Fahrion Kryptov (edited February 02, 2006).]

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm slightly off my nut, I am female and secure enough in myself to say this, breasts can be erotic and can give you the impression that a girl is aroused, but in this case, I do not see the erotic factor just about the mention of them here.

"I opened my eyes. She was sitting propped up against her pillow."

That could be turned into one sentence. Seems disjointed. Or Maybe

Before I opened my eyes,I heard her sniffing and then the sudden whooshing of the tissue as she pulled it from the box. She sat propped up against her pillow and ...

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMoore
Member # 3193

Hi Susannaj4,

I absolutely agree with you! But I know there are some who may feel that even the mention of a word (breast, in this case) is tantamount to erotic expression. So, I had to put the *caution* in the header. Nevertheless, I was grateful also for the comments of those who saw the reference as being crass. As you know, this was something I worried about even before I started the re-write of Ch. 1. I may just go back to the original! But as I re-work the intro, I am thinking more and more of how to remain true to my original thought, and it doesn't involve sex in the opening. Although it does include a certain contemplation of symmetries and beauty. The breast is beautiful, even when it is not sexual.

It is interesting, and the feedback has been extremely useful.

All the best,

PMoore

trine2045@yahoo.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.