Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Irony (working title)

Author Topic: Irony (working title)
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a quick story, about 2,000 words I started and finished tonight.

I thought that I was ready, that I would not hesitate at all. For the past hour since I had been given the news…and handed that wretched piece of paper, I stroked the stainless steel of the barrel, like a mother would her child’s hair.

The thought had been going through my mind, over and over again: what did I have to lose? God was nothing to me. I had no family, no lover, no relatives, and now the thing I had given all these pleasures up for was also lost to me: money.

Maybe I was merely a coward in not just getting it over quickly. I could hear my dead father now, whose shadow had always haunted me, “Richie, Richie, Richie…you don’t even have the balls to pull the trigger”.

I clinched my teeth. How dare they! After all I had invested

[This message has been edited by Storygiver (edited February 07, 2006).]

Note from Kathleen: 13 lines of manuscript text (12-point courier font with 1-inch margins on 8.5x11-inch paper) please

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 08, 2006).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
You lost me in the first paragraph, when MC is stroking the barrel of a gun, planning something, and won't tell me what.

I find out later, but I don't like putting up a mental marker and remaining confused for a while, then going back to fit it together. Just tell me.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any problem with being handed a mystery in the first line or two as long as the hook is followed up soon thereafter.

I thought this read quite well and don't have any comments other than go for it.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.