Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ditch

Author Topic: Ditch
hyperferrianism
Member # 3238

- posted      Profile for hyperferrianism           Edit/Delete Post 
The sun was about to break through the clouds and make my life a lot squintier. I had been hoping the cloud cover would last until I was done, but it wasn't. At least it wasn't raining. I'd rather be sun burnt and half blind than cold and soaked. Maybe I could afford a cheap pair of sunglasses after this haul. I gave my garbage bag a shake to gauge how full it was. Hmm. Not this time. Maybe next week.

I remember riding along the highway with my father when I was 12 years old. When he finished his drink, he rolled down my window and threw his empty plastic Coke bottle out into the ditch. Being a child raised on Sesame Street, I brought up the issue of littering.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hyperferrianism
Member # 3238

- posted      Profile for hyperferrianism           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me give a little explanation of the above fragment. It's from a very short story I wrote (about 1000 words) called "Ditch." It's about a guy who lives in his van and earns money by collecting bottles from ditches along highways. He's perfectly content with this lifestyle.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out on the highway, picking up litter, because I couldn't stand to have it in front of my house. My life ...

That is, I want to know what's going on.

I'll also want a hook.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's perfectly content with this lifestyle.

Then I really hope you are going to kick him out of it soon, or there's no interest in the story.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianJKoch
Member # 2966

- posted      Profile for BrianJKoch   Email BrianJKoch         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a little too lackadaisical for me. I thought the story was set in the future after a nuclear holocaust when trash was valuable.

You're not getting much mileage per word. Unless you're trying to create a gloomy mood, I would tighten it up. Then again, I suffer from ADD.

If you want me to give you some examples (which you can rejective, if you don't feel they fit), email me a copy of the story and I look at it.

email: Bissel@DirecWay.com

Keep writing,

Brian J. Koch

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It has promise, but you make too big a deal out of the sunglasses. Fueling a van takes a lot more money, if it comes to that. I would offer to read this, but I'm just doing a drive-by to get back in practice right now.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning! Warning! Author follows up with expanation!

Hard truth: As writers, we get our words and nothing else. If you think it's important that this guy makes a living collecting cans from the side of the road then show it to me in your first paragraph.

I didn't feel as if much was happening in this introduction. Given that this is only 1k words, I tend to need every word to mean something. I think you may need to find a different starting point, but then that's just one person's spin on it.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.