Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Birth Scars

Author Topic: Birth Scars
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy, 6600 words, and I'm looking for readers of the whole thing.

October, 1990. Pete and Suzy give birth to a boy. They're excited for this new addition in the “family.” That's what Suzy hopes they will be; maybe with a son, Pete will ask her to marry him, and they'll live happily ever after with their child.

Suzy has been in labor for nine hours, and she's sweat until there's nothing left in her to sweat. Then the pain is gone, and she hears the baby cry. Pete is ecstatic, and Suzy knows they're going to be wedded soon. What could stop it from happening?

She's resting now, and Pete's beside her. The nurse bring in the boy, but instead of jubilant, the nurse is disgusted. “What's wrong?” Suzy asks.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Three words: Show, don't tell.

Show us the birth. Show us Pete and Suzy's excitement. Show us Pete's ecstasy at whatever he is ecstatic about (is it the birth? the wedding? both?). Let us see their actions and hear their thoughts.

You get the idea.

It sounds like the story really begins in the last paragraph and you were rushing through the setup to get there.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too crazy about the present tense. The idea isn't bad, but nothing real original so far. I don't mean to be negative, but I'm pretty iffy on what you have so far.

However, the title is intriguing.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

6500 words, still wanting readers on the whole thing.

October, 1990. Suzy has just given birth after nine hours of labor, and she's now resting with Pete by the bedside. While they're waiting for their son to come, Suzy thinks of the inevitable wedding.

The nurse bring in the boy, but Suzy can see that she's troubled. “What's wrong?” Suzy asks.

The nurse doesn't say, but she puts the baby in Suzy's arms, and what Suzy sees horrifies her. This isn't right! “What did you do to my boy?” she says.

“Nothing,” the nurse soothes. “He came out like that.”

Pete is concerned, so he pulls back the baby's blanket to look at his son, and draws back repulsed. Their baby has a head covered in scars.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,

This version is much better in that it makes me more interested in what is happening.

However, I am in agreement with the others regarding the present tense. Rather than being as interested as I think I should be, I feel detached, as if a narrator were introducing me to what is about to happen (I'm thinking Rod Serling & The Twilight Zone). For me, it doesn't work in a book; screenplays, etc. would be an exception.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:

Forgot to comment on the dialog. The nurse just doesn't work for me. I can't help but think she'd try to be more sympathetic and explanatory about the situation. "Your baby is healthy, but there is something we cannot explain. There are scratches all over his/her face."

For 'suspense' you can add hesitation on the nurses part. A regret for having to deliver such news, where the parents ask what is wrong, but the delay to the very end about using the word scratches seems forced to me.

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited February 13, 2006).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Better but still needs work.

Ditto others' comments on present tense.

Describe the nurse's troubled expression from Suzy's POV. You should probably even have a doctor with her. It's the doctor's responsibility to inform the parents of anything unusual like this.

One logical issue: Didn't anyone notice the scars in the delivery room? It's standard practice for the baby to be given to the mother after it has been cleaned up a bit and the Apgar tests done. I can't believe the scars weren't noticed at that time if, as the nurse claims, "he came out like that."

I would drop "and what Suzy sees horrifies her." Her words tell us she's horrified/upset at what she sees. Also drop "repulsed" later on. Same thing. You did a much better job of showing us the parents' emotions, but then turned around and told us again.

Keep at it, though. You're headed in the right direction.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I fear present tense would cause me to put the story down before I even finished the first 13. I've never seen a successful professional use it all the way through the story. It screams "amateur."

Ditto the above comments about the baby.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
The nurse bring in the boy.

Is this supposed to say 'The nurse brings in the boy" ?

That kept jumping out at me.

Have you ever seen a woman give birth? You can put all the things you wanted to begin with a dialogue with hopeful Suzy and a hesitant Pete. Talk about the agony. And also remember that unless this is set in the past, she's going to see her baby immediately after it comes out, or there's going to be drama and quietness as the doctor and the nurse examines the baby. It will happen in the delivery room.

"That's it." the doctor says. "The head is out. Don't push."

Suzy looks up to smile at Pete just as the nurse gasps in horror.
"What? What is it?" Suzy asks, trying to peer around Pete as the nurse takes the baby to the bassinet. "What's wrong with my baby?"

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 13, 2006).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen present tense work, in Walter Jon Williams's Hardwired. Admittedly, it's an exception.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

I'm well aware of the problems writing in present tense; I'm not a fan of it either, which is why this is the first, and probably only, time I will ever do it.

In the meantime, it's still 6500 words and looking for readers.

BTW, thanks y'all for the help so far.

October, 1990. Suzy has just given birth after nine hours of labor, and after all that work, she's realizing that the hell is just starting. Pete's rubbing her hand, but he's no comfort because he's more disturbed than she is. Suzy bites her fingernails when the doctor enters the room.

“Good news,” he says. “Your son is perfectly healthy.”

“Healthy!” Pete roars. “His head is covered in scars. How do you call that healthy?”

“Pete,” says Suzy, trying to calm him, but to no avail.

“I want to know exactly what you did to that boy,” Pete says.

“I'm sorry," says the doctor, "but we did nothing."

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited February 13, 2006).]

krazykiter
Member # 3108

MUCH improved. We've all said our piece on the 1P present issue, but if you're willing to pay the price, it's your call.

Otherwise, a great improvement over the original. Hopefully, the doctor will be explaining in short order why he's so blase about something so obviously unusual, but I guess that's what the "rest of the story", as Paul Harvey puts it, is for...

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to work out why this wasn't working and then it came to me: I don't think you've decided whose point of view to use yet. If your going to use present tense like this there must be something else to balance the cost and you have not got it here. We're not given solid pov, nor are we given atmosphere or setting.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your tense games are screwing up the means of perception for the readers.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.