Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sarem's Tyranny Fantasy Horror

Author Topic: Sarem's Tyranny Fantasy Horror
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I counted this several ways so I hope this is thirteen lines or less.

I am Tyran. I was born on the fourth of August in the year 1040 A.D. in the slave quarters of a beautiful but madwoman named Solace. After one thousand years I still lie in state and hear my mother’s cries in my chaotic dreams. Time has no meaning for me but understanding is everything. The blood that runs through my veins holds the knowledge of both my mother and my father. All of their memories, thoughts, and nightmares are rolled into my magnificent intellect and haunt me in my sleepless dreams. I cannot escape my existence, nor can I choose my destiny. It was the fate of my father and so shall it be for me. I am a vampire but first and foremost I am Nagan.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much information. I know who your character is, but I don't know what the story's about. Begin where the conflict starts, then give the backstory later.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianJKoch
Member # 2966

- posted      Profile for BrianJKoch   Email BrianJKoch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a great start.

The function of the first thirteen lines isn't to tell the story or even present an outline. All the thirteen lines have to do is set the tone, and most important of all capture the interest of the reader.

Your opening did both. Send me more.

email: Bissell@DirecWay.com

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a definite hook when I found MC has been alive for a thousand years. (Might make this line one.)

I lost interest when I found he's a vampire, but then I don't like vampires. There's plenty that do.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Too info-dumpy. And with a first person narrative it's better to establish a reason for the narrator to be speaking/writing.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

He's dreaming. In the second paragraph you find that out.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say it didn't grab me, and the moment I read "I am a vampire", I knew I wouldn't read any farther. However, there is still a market, and apparently a vibrant one, for vampire fiction; I'm just not part of it.

When I read the "vampire" line, I assumed that the "birth" referred to the MC's rebirth as a vampire, so a better opening line hook might be "I was born for the second time on the fourth of August...".

Other notes; "madwoman" should be two words in this instance.

"My magnificent" intellect" is an interesting line, establishing an enormous ego for the MC, but again it would be a turn-off for me, particularly followed by the "cannot escape my existence/choose my destiny" complaint. That comes across as cliche - the powerful yet powerless MC who bemoans their lot.

"I am Tyran"/"I am Nagan" - ? Have you changed the MC's name or is this deliberate?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather liked it. I can take a bit of cliche at first, assuming the rest of the story isn't.

Like the others, though, I'm not into vampires, so I probably wouldn't read, but it's still a pretty good hook.

I was also confused by the Tyran/Nagan thing.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally really liked your languange and tone. After the second sentence, your langange got rather interesting--maybe its just a style that I like.

However, I was turned off by the vampires as well...

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Tyran was born of the flesh a vampire.
Nagan is who he is, like I am Native American. There is a distinction between Nagan Vampires and vampires.

WORD argued with me over mad woman.

The Magnificent Intellect denotes the fact that he holds the knowledge of not just his parents, but of all those he has 'taken'.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I didn't read past the fourth sentence. The short reason for not reading past that point is boredom. The long reason...it's an info dump, it doesn't begin with anything interesting or with any action, there is no problem presented only a bunch of arbitrary data...I'm going to look at the other esponses now to see if there's any reason for me to go on. (I always like to post my initial reaction before looking at others'.)
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's dreaming. In the second paragraph you find that out.

Only if I read that far.

I figured out a better way to explain what drew me out of the story before it ever even began...telling. I'm sure you've heard "show don't tell." Well, that's what happening here. If he's dreaming, show me a dream, don't tell me about his fancies. If he's a slave, show me him being a slave, don't tell me about it. If he's been alive for a thousand years show me how this has effected his life.

Openings are incredibly difficult and frustrating. It doesn't seem fair that a single paragraph or even a sentence will convince a reader to read on or not. They can't carry the weight of your story, after all. But that's what us impatient American readers who grew up watching movies look for.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tyran was born of the flesh a vampire.
Nagan is who he is, like I am Native American. There is a distinction between Nagan Vampires and vampires.

I'll take your word for it, but since I've never come across the term "Nagan" before (I'm assuming it's your own invention), it just confuses here, because it could be interpreted as a name - after all, you use exactly the same wording both times. Now, if he begins "My name is Tyran", but then mentions "I am Nagan", the reader can clearly see a deliberate distinction, and may wonder what a Nagan is, rather than just going "I thought he said his name was Tyran"?.

Remember, you can explain yourself here, but you won't have this option with an editor, or a reader. They only have what's one the page (or screen) in front of them, and you have to make it work for them without supporting material.

quote:
WORD argued with me over mad woman.

Argue back with Word - it is hardly an expert on matters of grammar (I disagree with almost every suggestion the Word grammar checker has ever made - and if you want to have fun, type your favourite piece of great literature into Word, then let the grammar checker make all its suggested changes; in one pass you'll likely be left with something workable but dull, by three passes through you'll probably have gibberish). "Madwoman" is an acceptable word in certain contexts, but in the context you've used it, you must say "mad woman", because you're following on from another adjective. You wouldn't say "she was a mad but beautifulwoman", so don't say "she was a beautiful but madwoman". You could say "she was a beautiful madwoman".

quote:
The Magnificent Intellect denotes the fact that he holds the knowledge of not just his parents, but of all those he has 'taken'.

I don't think of knowledge and intellect as being remotely the same thing, and you've just specified that he has all of their memories, thoughts and nightmares, so why not leave it at that - "All of their memories, thoughts and nightmares are part of me, and haunt me in my sleepless dreams"?.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Is this better for a beginning?

_________

The crackling of the fire could be heard beyond the screams of the beautiful but sad woman leaning up against the wall of the stall. Her knees were pulled tightly to her sides and she yelled once more in agony. Beads of sweat pelted the floor from her brow as she pushed her chin to her chest.
“Shh. Just push now.” The old woman said as she patted the woman’s forehead with a damp cloth. “It will be over soon.”
“Sarem!” The woman screamed. “He should be here.” She panted.
“I know. I know. Just push.”

A strange and familiar sensation washed over his dried flesh and faces appeared in his mind wiping away his memory of his birth.

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 21, 2006).]

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Raw, not particularly.

But you're giving a rather unwelcome jolt to the reader when you abruptly end what turns out to be a flashback, and move back into someone who's remembering. It's not a very good idea, and it does feel slightly contrived.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

My main problem with this version is POV. The moment I read "beautiful but sad", I'm faintly confused; beautiful implies external POV, sad implies internal. Also, if she's screaming with the (presumed) agonies of childbirth, she's currently unlikely to be beautiful, and has more immediate and visceral concerns than "sadness". Also, you've got two unnamed characters, both women, and then when you break out of the scene, you have another unnamed character (who is experienceing something "strange and familiar" - surely two opposites, so I have a problem with that, too?). That makes it hard to get to grips with any of it.

I also don't think I like "pelted", that implies far more impact than simply the force of gravity, as if she's expelling sweat at hyperspeed or something bizarre.

Is it "raw"? Well, that's a matter of opinion, but then so are all critiques. I think it is, in the sense that it needs to be thought about and polished and shaped and tidied up, becauseof the issues I've mentioned. But (given the thread you've started over on Questions) you seem to be taking that criticism very much to heart. I'd suggest that you remember two things:

1). All critique is opinion (beyond the most basic issues of spelling and simple grammeatical rules). One opinion may or may not be more valid than another. On a site like this, there will be a wide range of people with a wide range of experience, and it takes time to learn whose critiques to take note of and whose not to worry so much about. We all have our own particular idiosyncracies (wbriggs likes to make sure everything's clear up front; Survivor is the POVmeister; and so on), and you need to be very careful about equating one person's apparent dislike of your work to "oh, I might as well give up". Name any multi-millionaire author out there and you'll still find as many - or more - people who dislike their work as are fans of it (so someone sells 1,000,000 copies of a book in the US - that still means 299,000,000 people did NOT buy it). Ultimately, the only decisions that will matter are those of the publishers, and then the paying public.

2). Hmm, there was going to be a 2 but I spent so long writing 1 I forgot what it was. I think I was gonig to say that critiques are not "criticism" in the sense that the word is often used, like criticising your choice in clothes or your taste in music. They may seem harsh, because anyone who's serious about writing invests a huge amount of time and emotion in their work, but the critiques on here are about helpping you to be better, not about tearing you down. In general, this is a pretty polite place for critiques (I suspect I'm one of the harsher-sounding critters, in general), and arguably a good place to build up experience of having your work commented on and analysed. If I seem harsh, it's unintentional; my purpose in commenting on other work is generally to try and help, not to tear someone down. I suspect the same goes for virtually everyone on here (certainly anyone who's been here for any length of time), so bear that in mind when thinking about what people are saying about your work.

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Contrived. I get that word a lot. So I shouldn't begin with his awakening.
Is it contrived in that it is totally unbelievable? Is the word usage contrived?

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 21, 2006).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
It's contrived because it's not really happening. If it is really an interesting event, tell us about it, in real time. Don't start it as a ruse to suck us in, and then say, "Oh, but that was a thousand years ago. Now we're going to move to something more boring." Sorry, I think that sounds a bit flip, but it gets my meaning across. The point is, if the current happenings are going to be interesting, you should start with them.

Aside from that--if the first snippet is his memory of his birth, how come he's seeing everything from the outside while he's still on the inside?

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited February 21, 2006).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that point. It's a clear POV failure.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Ok. Taking these above into consideration, it occurred to me that I had a perfect beginning already written. And taking into account that I shouldn't start with someone sleeping, what if I start with an action?(Still trying to figure out these 13 lines, because my pages are longer than 13 lines, even at courier,12-pt.font) How's this?

_____

Seth sat on the edge of the bed and leaned his elbows on his knees. He called his cigarette case from his leather jacket pocket and looked at himself in the mirror. Not a night has gone by in the last millennia that he hasn’t thought of the day he took flesh. He brought a long black stick to his lips and lit it, inhaling deeply. His grey eyes swirled and his fangs ascended as the herb wafted through his senses, calming the beast he had set free only minutes earlier. He glanced behind him and the bloody mass that had once been

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 22, 2006).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I like the third version of the opening much better and I DO like vampire stories. "The night he took flesh . . " - however is now a disconnected thought. You are referring to the night he was born and not the night he was "turned" in traditional vampire speak.

Do we really need to know about the details of his birth 1,000 years earlier or is it sufficient for your plot that he is 1,000 years old. If the details are important, you might not want to hit a reader with them right away. A peice of advice I got a long time ago is "start your story just before the main character's life changes." Too early and we don't care/read long enough to get to the event.

There was a great post on opening lines on this section that moved to the other forum. I need a hint of what is going on to care. I LOVE that you switched to Seth's voice and not an omniscient third person to narrate. It is much more involving. Seth has a story to tell, let him.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems a bit 'Raw' to me.

(heh heh heh ... evil grin )

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Like your new opening much better than the original. Think about this: Which opening sentence has more punch?

The crackling of the fire could be heard beyond the screams of the beautiful but sad woman leaning up against the wall of the stall.

or

The crackling of the fire could be heard beyond the screams.

You've got a good hook, but I think you're overloading it with information. Take it slow. Draw us in. Don't try to paint your picture in one brushstroke.

A nit - women tend not to scream during childbirth (except at the doctor and their husbands/partners). Only in the movies.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Ahm, yes they do, being a mother myself and giving birth to three of my own.
But that's not the beginning anymore.

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 23, 2006).]

dckafka
Member # 3258

Apologies viz childbirth screams. My own experience and that of my family is otherwise - but is obviously not universal. ;-)
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

King Falcon--He's not a traditional vampire. He was Essence before he took flesh. He was not born of the body and he wasn't 'turned'. Trust me, I know my vampires. Seth and his Family are Nagan. I made them up. They controlled the Elements before trying to be human.
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Just to point out that I have done my research on vampires, since I feel it has been called into question, I know the stories of Vlad the Impaler. I know that everyone is familiar with that one. I have read some of the romance novels about the Carpathians and I know the differences between a Carpathian and a Carpathian vampire. I have also read about Longinus. I know the stories. I know the rules of how to kill them, what they are and aren't capable of, and I made my own.
dckafka
Member # 3258

I tend to agree with King-Falcon that the sentence "Not a night has gone by in the last millennia that he hasn’t thought of the day he took flesh" seems a non-sequitur designed to inform the reader that Seth is a thousand years+ old and he "took flesh". It breaks the flow of your opening. Note too that "He hasn't thought" fights with the POV elsewhere. (Seth sat, he called, he brought, etc. "Has not" versus "Did not".)

"His grey eyes swirled" seems over the top. What does it mean when someone's eyes swirl? If feels contrived to me and that breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Like the use of the drug to calm the post-feed jitters. Nice touch.

Is there a relationship between looking at himself in the mirror and thinking about the day he took flesh? If there is, it's not evident.

It feels as though you're trying to convey how powerful a vampire Seth is - how impressive - as the hook to your story. However it comes off as forced and makes the opening awkward to me as a reader. Why is Seth interesting? I see you're trying to make him more than a standard issue vampire, but it's not working for me. What can you convey about him in the first thirteen lines that will make me curious about him?

Good that you've done your research on vampires. However, your readership may not be as well read as you are. If a less well informed reader (like myself) is confused about the meaning of "took flesh", it's a valid point (unless you are writing strictly for the vampire cognoscenti). Be careful about falling into the trap of arguing/explaining to the readers here. Read Kathleen's "Responding to Feedback" topic under the "Please Read Here First" forum. She gives a very good explanation as to why listening rather than reacting is goodness.

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Thank you for your input. I understand. I'm sorry for the explanation and defending myself. I have read the section you suggested. I took out everything you found offensive and reworded it. Maybe you'll like this better.I did see you points by the way. Writing is a truly frustrating passion and for me, often unrewarding.

______
Seth sat on the edge of the bed and leaned his elbows on his knees. He called his cigarette case from his leather jacket pocket and smiled at himself in the mirror. He brought a long black stick to his lips and lit it, inhaling deeply. His fangs ascended as the herb wafted through his senses, calming the monster he had set free only minutes earlier. He glanced behind him at the bloody mass that had once been some pretty girl. So uncharacteristically like himself, he had let his beast take control for the first time in his life and Broke her -- mind, body, and spirit. He now understood the pleasure of Breaking
________

[This message has been edited by Susannaj4 (edited February 24, 2006).]

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Now is it just a problem for the eyes to swirl in the beginning? It's a characteristic of the Nagan Vampires.
dckafka
Member # 3258

Smoother now. I'm beginning to see a better picture of your MC - seeing a bit more of his character. Would like to see more. How is he different character-wise from the standard-issue cold, aloof and sadistic blood sipping immortal? Have a look at Roger Zelazney's "Lords of Light". Very human characters with god-like powers.

Why does he smile? He seems unhappy with his loss of control.

"Uncharacteristically like himself" sounds like a contradiction. If an action is uncharacteristic of your MC it's not "like himself". I think you're trying to say his behavior was not unusual for him, but your grammar garbles your meaning.

Bloody mass suggests to me that he sort of pulped his victim. Is that what you're going for?

"Some pretty girl" dispenses with his victim. If that's the case, does is matter that she was pretty, or a girl? Was she a random girl he snatched off the street? Was she a date? A prostitute? A close friend? Did Seth know her name? This might be a way to give me more insight into Seth's character.

This guy's been around for 1000+ years and this is the first time he's really cut loose on a victim? Usually loss of control is connected with lack of maturity. Makes Seth sound like the 1000 year old virgin. I suspect you've got reasons this would be the case, but as a reader I'm not aware of them. Might be something we learn about later.

Swirling eyes - just not sure what you're describing. You mean the irises rotate? Do they swirl around like one of those hypno-disks you get in the novelty stores? Is it a swirl of color in the iris? When you first mentioned it I thought it might be the effect of the drug. Is it, in fact, important at this stage of the story?

Don't let me discourage or frustrate you. Nothing offensive in your writing. I fuss, I poke and prod. If it hurts more than it helps let me know and I'll dial it back. ;-)

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Swirling eyes, like a kaleidoscope. I never liked the idea of just closing the eyes and it be different. I felt that a victim seeing the change was scarier for them.

Uncharacteristically like himself--you got the correct impression. The rest of the sentence:
------
He now understood the pleasure of Breaking and allowed himself to revel in the gratification.
------
That's why he smiled. Saying she was pretty was in contrast to what she was now and yes, it matters that she a girl.

The original version of this had another character in it and I had to cut him out completely. I think this is the way I'm going to leave it.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to pick on one single part of your story, but I'm going to use the word "swirling" to illustrate my point.

The swirling eyes thing is confusing. Don't forget, your reader doesn't have the ability to view YOUR mental picture. We can only go off of what you tell us, using the real world and our previous exposure to the genre as a "baseline."

Eyes don't swirl in real life. So thus we are taken OUT of the story to contemplate this bizarre-sounding statement. "What does the author mean?" we wonder. In trying to imagine it, I picture the irises rotating around in his eye socket like Linda Blair's head in the Exorcist. It is a disturbing image, and not in a way that benefits your efforts to pull me into the story.

I understand your goal--to make this vampire unique--but I think you could find a better way to achieve it. Part of the problem is the swirling eyes are basically a POV violation. If you are going to add characteristics that are a stretch of the imagination, try doing it from the POV of someone LOOKING at this person. You describe his inner thoughts/satisfaction, but then you have this weird eye-swirling thing happening that he, himself, cannot notice; it would have to be observed by someone else.

When you make a decision about tossing unique traits in, ask yourself: how does the story benefit from this characteristic, this plot point, this sentence, this word? OSC reminds us that there is a price to pay for everything we write - make sure you are getting your nickle's worth from each word you use. Does the word "swirling" pull the reader IN and add to the hook? Is the surrounding context strong enough to prevent the reader from becoming confused? Or is the price you pay for using an uncharacteristic/atypical trait enough to dump the reader out of the story?

Ultimately, you may choose to add features to the millieu and character that are unsettling or confusing to the reader. If so, just be aware of the price you are paying, and be willing to pay it. Sometimes a little confusion to the reader is good. Other times it's detracting from your story. You decide.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited February 24, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

How can it be direct POV violation if he himself is watching his eyes change?
dckafka
Member # 3258

Have to say, the swirling eyes thing will be very hard to manage without coming off as either confusing, contrived or silly to the reader. Be real careful. At the end of the day, whether his eyes swirl or not is a secondary to drawing a compelling character and telling a good story. I can tell swirling eyes is important to how you visualize the character, but don't let yourself get hung up on that detail.
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I asked a question about POV. I would like to know how it is a direct violation of POV if the MC sees himself this way.
Elan
Member # 2442

I suspect the real problem here is that YOUR mental image of this scene is to see his irises changing colors, shifting chameleon-like from, say, gray to brown or even red.

Yet you DESCRIBE it as "His grey EYES swirled." When you use the term "eye" I get the image of his WHOLE eye rolling around and around and around. No one can focus while their eyes are rolling in their head. I don't envision him watching his eyes in the reflection of his cigarette case. You made mention of the mirror, then had him take a drag on his cigar or whatever it is - that provided an interrupt. I don't envision him continuing to stare at his reflection. And be wary of using someone staring at their reflection to describe their physical features; it's another done-to-death cliche mark of being a newbie (almost as bad as starting the story out by waking up.) My last question is: um... I thought vampires don't HAVE a reflection?

I'm not trying to say "I'm right/you're wrong." I'm trying to clarify for you what MY thought process is as I read. You won't get to control how the reader interprets your story; your job is to eliminate as much of the confusion as possible. I can assure you with the number of "Huh?" comments you've had on that one detail, we aren't going to be the only readers who "don't get it."

You pay a price for descriptions that confuse. Are the "swirling eyes" really worth all the tap-dancing you need to go through to successfully convey an accurate image of what YOU see to the reader so they see it too?? In other words, does it impact the plot or shape the millieu?? Is it worth the PRICE?

Edited (because you posted at the same time I did) to add: Regarding the POV issue... you don't specifically mention that he's looking at his eyes change. In fact, you don't even SAY they changed. You said they swirled. Since eyes don't normally swirl, we are left adrift, to ferret out your intent from the other clues present. All the other comments I mentioned above about the mirror factor in to my understanding of that paragraph. By the time I got to the swirling eyes, I no longer held a mental image that he was staring at his reflection because I assumed he had shut his cigarette case and taken a drag on his smoke.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Well, points are made. I understand. Forget the story line. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the opinions.
Elan
Member # 2442

Don't let the focus on a few specific things discourage you. It's like a dress designer who has a few threads hanging from the hem of a garment... someone might point them out and say "That doesn't work for me," but it doesn't mean the entire garment needs to "go back to the drawing board."

One thing I've observed about critiques is that there really is no way to rate them on a scale... 1 it stinks, 10 it soars. Sometimes a particular point will get hammered, but in the broader scheme of things it may only be a moderate problem, not a deal-breaker for the entire manuscript.

Keep your chin up and keep at it. Don't let the critiques or the CRITICS (There: happy now, Hoptoad? ) get you down.

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

lol. My biggest problem is that I am writing sequels to a manuscript I've already completed. So these things that are being picked at are things explained in the first one that I have had to put down for a while as someone else is critiquing it. Also I can't stand to look at it. But the ideas remain and I have to put them down. So I am continuing to write. I think I will start combing a few of these ideas that I have written several pages of story but have gotten off track somewhere. I also think that I am writing more of a movie type thing that I want to be a book. Does that make sense? And I feel inferior here. So I'm constantly trying to 'make the grade'. Anyway, I think you're right,I don't need to scrap the whole thing, just certain ideas. But these are my 'children'. It's hard to part with certain things about them.
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Since this isn't the first book, there would be some things we already know.

Having said that, I prefer the original in the first post. It is a little "slow" but would only need minor tweaking IMO (again, if this is a sequel, we already know some of his history, no?)

Don't give up, and don't think you have to take every comment and implement/address it for the specifics.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.