Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Green Fingers - working title

Author Topic: Green Fingers - working title
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi guys,

I had an idea last night and just finished the first chapter, its SF, length as yet undetermined.

Any comments welcome, just wondering how it grabs you, or not.

Thanks
Z

Most evenings, while the other kids congregated at the youth centre deep underground in the village square, Tyla ventured to the surface to witness the storm battering the greenhouse. He found the sound of it soothing somehow. Reassuring even, in its unnatural regularity, the way each successive wave of rain and hail broke over the reinforced glass just as the last was sluicing away down its domed surface. He noticed there was an almost tidal rhythm to it present somewhere in all that howling chaos. And if you closed your eyes and concentrated hard enough you could almost be listening to the sea lapping on the shore somewhere.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Rather compelling, it does make me want to read more. I was left wondering why he alone would surface while other kids stayed below. Also, what is "unnantural regularity"? This seems to contradict a later description of "tidal rhythm". In other words, how can something that has "unnatural regularity" also have rhythm since rhythm implies regularity. The other problem is that the greenhouse is being "battered" by rain and hail. At the end we are told "... could almost be listening to the sea lapping on the shore..." The images don't seem to fit. Wouldn't the loudest noise be that of hail pelting the greenhouse? It's a much different noise than that of waves rolling and breaking on a shore.

nit: "He noticed there was an almost..." How about "He listened..." or "He heard..."

Good luck, good start.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you closed your eyes and concentrated hard enough you could almost be listening to the sea lapping on the shore somewhere.

_______
And if she closed her eyes and concentrated hard enough, she could almost hear the the sea lapping on the shore.

_______

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting, but you have a couple of wording issues. Like "youth centre deep underground in the village square," which should probably be "youth centre in the village square deep underground".

Putting that aside, I have a couple of POV nits. When you say "unnatural regularity," does that mean that Tyla knows the storm to be artificial, or that she has experience of "natural" storms which do not follow such a pattern, or do you mean that we would find such a storm unnatural? If it's either of the first two, you need to clarify, and if it's the last, you've got a POV flaw there.

The same sort of issue applies to comparing it to waves at the seashore. I seriously doubt that Tyla has ever been to the seashore, and I don't think he'd compare the beating of this storm to a recorded noise.

One final point, purely a matter of personal preference. I would rather that you established a particular time and place for this scene, rather than saying it was something that happened most evenings. You could say "Tyla ventured to the surface to witness the storm battering the greenhouse, just as he did most evenings." Actually, there are language problems with that, but that's your fault, not mine

Oh, and Tyla totally sounds like a girl's name.

Anyway, despite all these nits, I found it a rather interesting beginning. Maybe later.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.