Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Time’s Champion

Author Topic: Time’s Champion
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Toward the end of his life, my father composed papers that no eye has ever read. Time, he wrote, was a living entity, an endangered sentience that his trawlers would kill bit by bit. And when time died, so would all sentience, everywhere, every-when.

I never expected to have a temporal encounter, or serve as a mediator to save humanity, not to mention time itself. When my calling came, there I was, huddled in my spot, a scrap of cardboard beside the dumpster. The cardboard had made a nice box once. It didn’t take long for it to fall apart, just another thing I’d ruined.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, this was Second Options. I've gone back and redid the opening, yet again. I'm trying to show the speculative element on the first page, and it's kind of an infodump, but I'm hoping it all goes with: The first paragraph's free. Maybe not?

As I'm currently in the middle revamping this story, I'm just interesting in the opening for now...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited February 20, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad for info-dumping. It reminds me of HG Wells.

Do you mean sentients instead of sentience? First one is the noun.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice effort to tie the concept to the scene, but it seems to raise an irony that you don't exploit.

His father died a bit of a marginalized nut. Here the son is living on the remains of a cardboard box by a dumpster. His father constructed a theory about the transient nature of time itself, and this guy has reason to contemplate the ephemeral nature of his own house...granted, one made of cardboard.

If you could interweave those two in a way that both starts and ends with the current conditions of the narrator, I think it would work a little smoother.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad. It doesn't grip me greatly -- of course death is inevitable -- but I'd keep reading.

Problems: if no eye has read this, how does MC know what it says?

I'm assuming MC is not a scrap of cardboard, but is _on_ one.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I resisted the temptation to cite that last thing, but it got me too.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thrown off by this statement: "my father composed papers that no eye has ever read", yet your narrator goes on to describe what is IN those papers. An obvious contradiction, and one that comes across as an inaccurate choice of words rather than an intriguing mystery. It boils down to a POV violation... if no eye has ever read the papers, how would your POV character know about them?

If it's a trick, and they were somehow read WITHOUT an eye, you need to let the reader in on the joke immediately.

Don't be shy about revealing the speculative element here. You are better off hooking us earlier than you meant to, rather than risk turning us away because you aren't clear and we chalk that up to poor storytelling skills.

I sense a good hook about to happen, but it's not there yet.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe his father told him about them??!?!? Or perhaps he saw them with something besides his eye?!?!!

But really, perhaps he is just speaking from an older version of himself that already knows the information, which seems to be pretty clear to me. Maybe you should just make it a little clearer though. I like it personally, especially that second sentence--has a nice ring to it.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

Hopefully the contradiction would be one that some would note in the back of their mind, but not stop them from reading. There’s a truth to the statement that becomes apparent by the end of the story.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the tone a lot. Neat parallel between time being taken slowly apart and the cardboard box slowly falling apart.

Makes me wonder if the hero didn't destroy something else personally valuable by trying to save time. I'd read to find that out.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aspirations
Member # 3213

- posted      Profile for Aspirations   Email Aspirations         Edit/Delete Post 
This really caught my interest...

"Time, he wrote, was a living entity, an endangered sentience ... And when time died, so would all sentience, everywhere, every-when."

The idea of time as a living thing that can die -- and take the universe with it -- has some very unsettling implications for me. I think it's a good hook.

The second paragraph could use a little work, as per some of the suggestions above but I feel it has potential.

Very imaginative premise. I'd read more.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.