Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Boots

Author Topic: Boots
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for feedback on this fragment and the two that follow. All three are opening paragraphs. Thx
-------
We called her Mother to begin with. It was something of a joke with her, she being sterile and we monstrous. Some of us came to her by chance, others by design. For still others, like myself, she was truly our beginning.

She made me. Designed my very being and created me, flesh and bone, out of life's subtle fibers. She etched the pattern of my mind. Her masterwork, she called me once. It may be that she wrought better than she knew; creating a thing she could not control, could not contain. Then again, I may still be her creature - acting out some extension of her will too subtle for me to perceive. I mistrust my actions, my thoughts. Mother is the wellspring of both.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting opening. It reminds me of Gene Wolfe--kinda vague and yet the language is descriptive at the same time. You need to share more about the narrator and the Mother soon to keep my interest. It's a good intro to their relationship though.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
There's definitely a hook here. My only comment is the last sentence: Mother is the wellspring of both. Both what? thoughts and actions? Maybe use a semi-colon to connect the two statements.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aspirations
Member # 3213

- posted      Profile for Aspirations   Email Aspirations         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice hook. The reference to being monstrous got my attention.

Interesting thoughts and feelings are conveyed, and the beginning of tension or conflict between the first person MC and Mother.

If you're offering, I'd like to read more.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the tone, smooth as silk yet foreboding. Good intro into a story. The word design is used twice and contradicts itself.
"Some by chansce, some by design. ."
Then: "For still others, she was our beginning"
This separates the others from the narrator
But in the next paragraph the narrator says that she did design him, "flesh and bone." Do you see it?
Anyway, I really liked it, please send me more.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very smooth; I'd read on, because you've intrigued me as to who and what this narrator is, and who and what the mother is, but I would not that there is no hint yet of a plot or an event. You can get away with this, I think, because of the deft way you've brought us into this POV, but it's something to be wary of.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. I'll echo Dude's comment that we'll need to know a bit more about Mother and the narrator, especially an explanation of "monstrous".
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This breaks the rule of telling us what's going on up front, but the writing is so good I don't care.

I'll want to know PDQ, though.

Good job.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this opening and would be interested in reading more. If you need a reader for the whole thing when it's finished, let me know.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some slight changes. I've sent about two pages of this to them as asked.
-------
We called her Mother to begin with. It was something of a joke with her, she being sterile and we monstrous. Some of us came to her by chance, others by her will. For still others, like myself, she was truly our beginning.

She made me. Designed my very being and created me, flesh and bone, out of life's subtle fibers. She etched the pattern of my mind. Her masterwork, she called me once. It may be that she wrought better than she knew; creating a thing she could not control, could not contain. Then again, I may still be her creature - acting out some extension of her will too subtle for me to perceive. I mistrust my actions, my thoughts, for Mother is the wellspring of both.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
This hooked me. I am assuming "Boots" is the title. If it is, then, it makes me like the start of the story even more.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds really good to me so far. Great style.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
I was instantly hooked, I would love to read more
Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. A solid intro to the narrator, and an interesting and appropriate place to start any story he tells. That last bit really makes us interested to know more.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.