Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sunborn

Author Topic: Sunborn
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I took into consideration all the suggestions in my Short Story thread in the open discussion section and have already tried my hand at a story. Its not too long only about 2000 words if anyone wants to read it.

Not sure whether its science fiction or fantasy--its based off of one of my poems actually, which has nothing really to do with the story. Yeah...well any comments are appreciated. And I'd like readers.

The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like a daunting shade of fortunes faded into the haunting backdrop that was once the sky. Shivering she looked up and stared into the blackness. No, it wasn’t the moon at all—but the poor imitator of one—the translucent orb that had been deemed worthy enough to replace the once glorious bodies that had gone around this forsaken world.
“What is this place where I have found myself?” whispered Oyra. Her breath made clouds in front of her face that seemed to bring tears from the surrounding air. Looking down, she peered earnestly at the pool—a thin piece of glass placed perfectly among the jagged rocks.
“Where is the life of my dreams?” Her voice sent echoes around the small clearing.

The first sentence is actually straight from a poem, so I don't know if it fits well...

Edit: changed a tense error

[This message has been edited by ethersong (edited February 23, 2006).]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't look now, but your tenses are drifting...

If it's a quote from a poem, it should be set off somehow to distinguish it from your narrative.

But you've got some nice imagery going.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the significance of what's happening. (I do like that I know the literal events.) Why is she there? What's she missing? How does she feel about her location? Basically: what does this mean to her?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Er...ok...this story is really rough. But its really my first attempt at a real short story. It actually ended up being around 2000 words. I need some help though, because I think there are a billion problems with it. Could anyone read it for me and give me comments on the amount of detail, the depth of the character (which isn't very deep I think), and the general story? I'm trying to work on the short story aspects because I'm really new to that area. So any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and what I mean by it being from a poem...the poem isn't a rhyming one...

If there's no restrictions on poems, I'll post the first bit of it here.

The moon shimmers lightly upon the ice
Like a daunting shade of fortunes faded
Into the haunting backdrop
That was once the sky.
But no, it is not the moonlight
But rather its shadow
Embodied in a streetlamp
That flashes its light like
A sick and false imitator.
It looks strange glimmering
Upon the ice that covers
What once was water—
A spring
From which the waters flowed
But from which they flow
No more
Since the cold wind came
And stole it all away—

You see what I mean? Anways, yeah...really need readers.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be glad to read it. Let me know what level of critique you are needing. Character, plot and flow? or do want to get down to the nitty-gritty of sentence structure. Sometimes I just want to know if the reader is "getting" it. I'm not always looking for grammatical analysis.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. My nit is that the first sentence works so hard at being poetic, it's practically opaque. It could be just me being thick, but I don't know what you mean. What is a daunting shade of fortunes faded into the haunting backdrop? I think there are several clauses in this sentence that have been run together. So, I can't tell what words are related. I trip over your first sentence. What are you trying to say here?

In your second sentence, you tell me your MC is looking up into the blackness - but you've just told me the moon is shimmering lightly.

Your tone and rythm of words is good - but don't get so tied up in the poetry that you obscure the story you're telling.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Did some sleight revisions. The poem I wrote was really talking about something else so I had to revise the wording a bit.

The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like the fading glow of her cursed life. Shivering, she looked up into the haunting backdrop that was once the sky, the blackness surrounding the moon like a ethereal oppressor. No, it wasn’t the moon at all—but the poor imitator of one—the translucent orb that had been deemed worthy enough to replace the once glorious bodies that had gone around this forsaken world.

“What is this place where I have found myself?” whispered Oyra. Her breath made clouds in front of her face that seemed to bring tears from the surrounding air. Looking down, she peered earnestly at the pool—a thin piece of glass placed perfectly among the jagged rocks. She had come here at last—to where the last throbbing hearts of life beat beneath cold ice.

“Why have I wandered this road to this grand end?” Her voice sent

I think that makes the whole first paragraph sound much better. And I added a bit more of a hook in the second paragraph so it ties better with the rest of the story.

Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
The first example was unclear to me; it sounded like you were describing a panoramic scene and then suddenly snapping it in to the scene directly in front of the character without divison to let the reader adjust to the shift, if that's what you were going for.

The first sentance made me slow down a bit when you went into the metaphore; it might be stronger if you used imagery that simply describes what it is instead of what it's similar to: "is" or "as" opposed to "like".

You're just barely getting into the character, but that can be fleshed out after the opening. I like the confusion of the character though I've no idea what her situation really means.

The tense is a bit misleading, especially in the poem. It feels that it's all past, but it slips into present a little. Are you intending to keep it pasttense or present tense? or is there a medium for it that ballances the two?

Revision: I think it'd work better if you put her name where you first use the word "she", we'd know clearly that this is the POV that you're going to use instead of something so vague as gender.

"What is this place..." You give the impression that she doesn't know why she's even there or even where there is, yet the last sentance "She had come here at last..." seems to imply that she DOES know why she's there and where. Does she or doesn't she? Again, the next line indicates that she does know, at least that it's a "grand end". It's still unclear to me, though maybe you could balance the two.

I like the imagery of the story, the second attempt is an improvement, definitely. I'll read it.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.