Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy short now titled

Author Topic: Fantasy short now titled
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cursed Valley: Okay. It's worth one more try at the opening, so here it is.

Lord Tain stamped his hooves in frustration. The old wizard named Vendevor cowered under the glare of the centaur. Tain wanted to show mercy, but the wizard's crime precluded that. Vendevor had poisoned the lake, killing three of the resident merfolk. It was murder, plain and simple, and the Lord of the Valley had to deal with the crime.

"What should I do with you, Wizard? What is the human punishment for murder?" Tain asked.

"Why, Lord Tain, have your harpy make me forget and send me from the valley. I regret that the merpeople died. I assure you, it was an inadvertent mistake," the old wizard whined as he groveled before Tain's hooves.

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 24, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 25, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 25, 2006).]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's fantasy fiction but still, some believability would've helped. Read Sarem's Tyranny to get what I mean.

[This message has been edited by zipperhead409 (edited February 24, 2006).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how Sarem's Tyranny is believable while this isn't. Good, bad, whatever, but believability? My centaur friends will be incensed at the thought.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the first version, so I don't know what people were saying. To me this sounds very info-dumpy. I don't think we need to know all that information right up front. Tell us only what is vitally necessary to understand the moment, and proceed from there.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
The first three lines set the scene nicely, IMO, but I agree that it gets a little info-dumpy beyond that. I'd like to see the focus remain on Tain and his confrontation.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What autumnmuse said, plus:

* Keep us in the moment if at all possible. We get a sentence or two of this, and then exposition.

* The identities aren't clear. There's Lord Tain; then there's a wizard and a centaur. Is that 3 characters, or 2? It needs to be clear.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I read, his story just wasn't as fantasy based as yours. If this is the beginning, it might be a little too overbearing for the casual reader.

It's like when I see too many CGI's in a movie, it kind of forces me to distance myself from the plot and not care for the characters as much. In a way, it's a little distracting.

It's hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean.

Also, instead of summarizing everything at the start - maybe show the events unfold? I don't know, this last part is just a suggestion because I'd be interested in seeing how you handle this.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Marva, don't give up. Please. The sign of a good writer is not that they get it right on the first try. It's that they keep trying. You can do this. Read more fantasy to get an idea of how it is done, and keep practicing. Don't throw in the towel just yet. Tomorrow is another day.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Autumnmuse: Thanks for the encouragement, so I'll give this one more try. I see what people were saying about the info-dump, so I just dumped the info-dump.

WBriggs: Tain is the centaur.

Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read any of the prior openings, so I have no idea if this is better or worse.

In any case, this intrigues me. A couple nits: why does Tain want to show mercy? Is there some relationship between him and the wizard, or is the punishment just repulsive to Tain?

I'm also not sure why you say "human punishment." Are there different punishments depending on the species? Because I'd think the punishment would be universal for murder.

I'd want to know exactly what the wizard did that killed them soon.

Otherwise, I think this has good potential.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If possible, you should start with the beginning of the scene. I know, not everyone adheres to that logic, but it can solve a lot of problems. This is a courtroom drama of sorts. You can start it when the last critical actor enters the scene (probably the wizard). That might give you more room for establishing your milieu and immediate setting so as to make it feel more plausible.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.