Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Memories of my sister

Author Topic: Memories of my sister
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody willing to take a quick stab a 4000 word fantasy short story? I'll also welcome feedback on whether the beginning works.

Here are the first thirteen:

#
I was baking flatbreads on the hearthstone when I saw my sister walk out of the forest.

I paused, disbelieving. She had left us, many years ago, to become a hermit. She had turned her back on Nayen and me, and we had never heard of her afterwards. We had thought her safely ensconced within the forest, weathering monsoon after monsoon in some crude hut, serenely preaching her wisdom to who would hear her. And now she stood before me.

She had changed. Her hair was white; her face gaunt and pinched, as if she had not eaten for moons. She wore rough, blackened clothes of bark, nothing like the elegant sari she had taken with her into the forest.

I had half-risen, dough still clinging to my hands; she saw me. "Isalaya?" she said, and swayed.
#

Thanks in advance,

Silver

(edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited February 28, 2006).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Silver.

I look at this from two angles. From the first, these are thoughts which can be disjointed and don't need to be in any order.

But from another angle, It's a little choppy.

And one thing struck me as I was reading -never heard of her--

heard from her? or any news of her?
You are saying that she made no contact for many years and now here she has come back. So I understood, but the 'of' threw me.

Did Islalaya half rise, or did the dough? You might not need that comma after half-risen.

Just MHO.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Any changes since I saw it last? I'll give it full critique if you want.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Well, it got somewhat longer Mainly greater depth of characterization, some extra details added.

And I polished it compared to the rough shape on LH. If you want the new version, say so, and I'll send it to you.

Thanks !

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
It might take a couple days for me to get it back to you, but I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I'd be glad to read the "new and improved".
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've already done a polish compared to the LH version, then I'd be happy to read and crit.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always happy to read for you. It'll just take me about a week to get back to you.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Liloo, just send it my way, or I'll be looking for it in your LH forum.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really hooked. I don't connect with either character yet. I think the problem is that I'm not getting any feelings out of the narrator. She tells me what has happened in the past and describes her sister's emergence from the forest, but it isn't grabbing me. This can be a problem with first person--the narrator tells too much and the reader can't connect with her. I think maybe if you simplify the beginning--save the history for after you have me hooked.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it for you. Send it on over.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Story should be on its way to everyone who requested it.

Dude, the problem is that the history is very much part of what the main character feels. There are hints in this passage that tell you what she feels about her sister, but they may be too subtle.

I'm curious, because you're the only one who seems to have a problem with that (so far ).

Is this better for you?

#
I was baking flatbreads on the hearthstone when I saw my sister walk out of the forest.

I paused, disbelieving. She had left us, many years ago, to become a hermit. She had abandoned both Nayen and me, and we had never heard from her afterwards. We had thought her safely ensconced within the forest, weathering monsoon after monsoon in some crude hut, serenely preaching her wisdom to who would hear her. We had thought ourselves safe. And now she was walking towards me, as if she still belonged in my house.

She had changed. Her hair was white, her face gaunt and pinched, as if she had not eaten for moons.

I had half-risen, my hands still covered in dough; she saw me. "Isalaya?" she asked, and swayed.
#

zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
Your 2nd go at it is a major improvement but I'm not sure if I'm hooked yet.

I think it could be even better though if you added a bigger emotional reaction from the main character. JMHO

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, you are still giving too much background up front. Take the following two lines from this beginning: "I was baking flatbreads on the hearthstone when I saw my sister walk out of the forest. She was walking towards me, as if she still belonged in my house."

I'm hooked with these two lines written back-to-back, but with all the background in between it loses the impact. Hook me first, and then tell me the background within the story. Even if you continue into the next line: "She had changed..." I'm still hooked and now I am curious as to why her sister doesn't belong in her house.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salimasis
Member # 2490

- posted      Profile for Salimasis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bit of a problem with the dichotomy of your perspective. You wrote:

"I paused, disbelieving. She had left us, many years ago, to become a hermit. She had turned her back on Nayen and me, and we had never heard of her afterwards. We had thought her safely ensconced within the forest, weathering monsoon after monsoon in some crude hut, serenely preaching her wisdom to who would hear her. And now she stood before me.

She had changed. Her hair was white; her face gaunt and pinched, as if she had not eaten for moons. She wore rough, blackened clothes of bark, nothing like the elegant sari she had taken with her into the forest."

My first problem is with the line "We had thought her safely ensconced within the forest, weathering monsoon after monsoon in some crude hut, serenely preaching her wisdom to who would hear her." If my sister had abandoned her family to become a hermit in the forest, I would not consider her to be either safe or serene, especially if she had to face monsoon after monsoon alone in a crude hut in the wilds. I would be sick with worry every day she was gone.

My second problem is with the apparent surprise of the narrator when her sister emerges from the forest underfed, worn out and aged, and dressed in rough clothing rather than an elegant sari. While her return after many years of absence would be a shock, I would have expected such an appearance of someone who had lived alone in the forest for years.

I'm sorry, but the opening seems too unlikely to draw me further into the story.

[This message has been edited by Salimasis (edited March 08, 2006).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.