Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sunborn rewrite

Author Topic: Sunborn rewrite
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a fragment for this story a while ago and had some people read it. I've recently tried to add to it and tweak some things, although I'm really not sure how different it is fromt he original story. So I'm looking for readers to see if I've fixed the flaws that were there before and to see if I've added enough detail.

The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like the fading glow of her cursed life. Shivering, she looked up into the haunting backdrop that was once the sky, the blackness surrounding the moon like a ethereal oppressor. No, it wasn’t the moon at all—but the poor imitator of one—the translucent orb that had been deemed worthy enough to replace the once glorious bodies that had gone around this forsaken world.

There had been two of them. Large eyes that peered down from the sky upon the happy inhabitants of the world. But all things must end. As the sun has, so the moons did.

“What is this place where I have found myself?” whispered Oyra. Her breath made clouds, conjuring tears of mist in the surrounding air that dissolved away. As everything .

Thanks

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind waiting a few days for a response my friend, I'll give it a read/review...
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest letting us know her name in the first sentence, instead of making us wait a few paragraphs.

I don't think I understand what's going on. Haunting backdrop that used to be the sky? There's no sky in her world any more?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
As before, I want to know what's happening. If I don't, no amount of polishing the prose will keep me reading.

That said, here's some polish.

quote:
The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like the fading glow of her cursed life. Shivering, she looked up into the haunting backdrop that was once the sky, the blackness surrounding the moon like a ethereal oppressor.

Metaphors and similes serve at least 2 purposes: to show what the thing being described is like; and (secondarily) to give connotation. For example, "a meat loaf the size of a lap dog" tell us primarily how big the meat loaf is, but also hints that we ain't talking high cuisine here.

Your similes do the connotation task beautifully, but since they don't do part 1 (for me), they leave me going "huh"? "like the fading glow of her cursed life": if moonlight looks like the glow of a life, what does that mean? We don't know, because we've never seen a cursed life glow. Similarly, "the blackness surrounding the moon like an ethereal oppressor": the image I get is strained, and totally wrong: picturing the blackness as a blanket (which is far from the concept of oppressor, but at least is a physical entity -- like an oppressor, but unlike darkness).

You want to tell us she hates her life and feels oppressed. This is worthy -- but I'd rather you just tell us, and let the moonlight be described such taht I can really see it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo Beth: name her. And yes, those are beautiful metaphors, but they confuse me. I'd suggest telling upfront what happened to her, who her people are. In fact, I'd suggest opening on something happening to her other than staring at the sky.

I also don't understand why she knows so much about the place if she asks "what is this place where I have found myself?" (this implies this is the first time she has ever come here).

On a personal note about style, you might want to check the number of adjectives you use, and tone down a bit on them. Your writing is a slightly too flowery. But that's likely to be my taste.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

I understand your confusion wbriggs. However, what I was trying to do here was connect two things together. That is, the images that I start with are real images but they also reflect upon the character as well.

For example, "The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like the fading glow of her cursed life" gives an image of a soft glow that seems to fade away on the top of the ice. Then, this is likable to her life, which is fading, weak, and inconsistant like the moon is. As a person who works with these types of images a lot, it makes sense to me.

To address another phrase, "the blackness surrounding the moon like a ethereal oppressor" is suppose to give sense of the weakness of the moon, how its light doesn't seem to reach very far but seems as if the darkness is smothering it rather than it piercing the darkness as it normally does.

These images may seem confusing to some people, but I think they form beautiful images in a much more concise and definite way. I could have just said "The moon's light was dull and weak" but that wouldn't have offered the same depth and context as what was stated.

Sure it takes a bit more thought and imagination than the normal straightforward and often static languange, but I think it is well worth the price. Sure most writers don't try to deal with such poetics but for me, I'm writing for beauty and I think that this is my first touch of that in short story form.

That said, I know its not perfect and I will go through and make sure that all the images make sense.

And with what you said, Silver, I think that perhaps I may add a bit to the beginning...it won't hurt, but only after I see what else needs to be added to the storyline--I see it'd be worth the add-in.

The phrase "what is this place where I have found myself" was supposed to show that the world had become strange to her both literally and figuratively. I'll try to clear that up for you.

[This message has been edited by ethersong (edited March 05, 2006).]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Establish the POV, then you can use poetic metaphors to illuminate her perceptual framework.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

You're welcome to choose to write for beauty instead of coherance, I guess, but understand that that will radically limit your audience. I, for one, like to know what's going on, and not just have a pile of pretty words.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Ok, comments taken into consideration.

Perhaps this would help some.

She felt the last bit of life on this once lush world calling out to her. With a grimace, Oyra slid feet tiredly across the ice. They ached from her long wandering with no food to sustain her, no rest to ease her restless soul. She shrugged deeper into her heavy coat, trying to fend off the cold that constantly crept inside it.

With every step, her sense of that bit of life grew until she found herself standing before a small pond. After miles of white snow, it seemed strangely out of place—like one of those huge glass walkways that had flowed from building to building in the last desolate city she had found.

The moon shimmered lightly upon the ice like the faded glow of her cursed life. [continue on as above]

I think changing "fading" to "faded" clears up that whole sentence a bit more. And hopefully the context there helps set up the images as Survivor said.

*edit: fixed the confusion about the pool imagery which seemed to be mistaken for talking about the snow.

[This message has been edited by ethersong (edited March 06, 2006).]

Beth
Member # 2192

You've done some interesting things here - for one, you've given her a goal immediately (to find the last bit of life), and created obstacles (set her in a hostile environment and made her exhausted). You've given her an uncommon ability (to somehow sense the life). It's an active scene, not a passive one, and it's clear what's going on. It catches my attention much more than the last beginning.

I think you could add some richness to this by letting us know what it feels like to sense the last bit of life.

In the 2nd paragraph, the subject is "it" so that's what the metaphor refers to (like one of those huge glass walkways...) yet "it" means the pond. I think you're trying to say the miles of snow was like a huge glass walkway, not the pond, but I am not sure.

duv2
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for duv2   Email duv2         Edit/Delete Post 
The re-write is much better, to be honest I didn’t understand the first posting. I would seriously consider removing much of the direct allegory you seem to want to keep (even if it is in the second 13). Personally I think allegory works best when it is suggested rather then directed. Trust me to see the parallel between a dieing moon and a dieing person without the use of the word “like”.

A nit “Oyra slid {her} feet,,,” or “Oyra’s feet slid….”

“No rest to ease her restless soul”….if her soul is restless why does it need rest?

“her sense of that bit of life” felt to distant from the first reference in the first paragraph to stand alone. I think you would need to restate that the life was calling her (which was a great hook).

—like one of those huge glass walkways

is the word “like” here used to help me understand what the miles of ice look like? if so -- I have a better idea of what ice looks like then I do of the walkways you refer to - which makes this confusing for me. I wonder if it would be easier to follow if you said, “reminded Oyra of” or something like that.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding version one (starting "The moon shimmered..."):

I love the images you set up here, but I think it's actually too descriptive. If you have too many adjectives and comparisons they can end up detracting from your story.

First line: I would take out "shimmered" and replace it with something more unique. Perhaps "quivered." I would also take out "cursed" because I think it detracts.

Second line: I would take out either haunting or ethereal, but not both. I think they end up saying basically the same thing here, so it's not necessary to have both and the result feels cluttered.

Third line: Take out the first "--" since I don't think it really belongs. Keep the second one though. The word "once" isn't entirely necessary and it disrupts the flow of the sentence, but it's a judgment call whether you want to take it out. I think you could also take out "forsaken."

Fourth line: I like having a short sentence here.

Fifth line: Find a different word for "world." It's too much of an echo of the "world" in line three.

Skipping down to the quote...
I don't really like this quote. It seems a bit boring. You've already told me that your character feels alone in a desolate world, and you've given me that picture using very rich images. The quote feels like a cheap repeat of all that.

Regarding the second version (starting "She felt the last..."):

I like your second paragraph, but I think the first isn't quite as strong.

First line: I don't particularly like "once lush world." I think you could just say "She felt the last bit of life on the world calling out to her."

Second line: I think you mean "Orya slid *her* feet."

Third line: The phrase "no rest to ease her restless soul" seems cliche.

I hope that helps. How long is your story? I might be interested in reviewing, though if it's long I'd prefer to review in chunks of a couple thousand words. Email me at jas23per@hotmail.com to talk about it.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The opener felt more like a weather report than a story. While the prose is pithy about the moon and transluscent orbs and such, it isn't the hook... the hook is "her cursed life." Dwell on THAT, instead. Keep the moon in the background, where it belongs. Your MC should be the strongest presence in your first 13.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The second version is better, but your POV establishment is still a little shaky, partly because of the unpossessed feet and the unrefereneced pronoun.

Still, it's better.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Most of what needs to be said has been said, but I did have one question about this opening concerning the line:

"But all things must end. As the sun has, so the moons did."

The hook for me, although I think it was not the hook you intended, is the line above. A sun ends by going nova. In that case the world would have been consumed by the nova. If it somehow escaped that, the huge amount of mass ejected by the sun would leave it with much less gravitation and the world would have been flung off into space. How is it the planet escaped this end? With no sun, what is the source of power? How is it that Oyra is even alive? Finally, this opening line:

"The moon shimmered lightly..."

With no sun, where is the moon getting the light to shimmer from?

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited March 07, 2006).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Not sure, if I'm too sure about this, but isn't there two ways for a sun to die--exploding or imploding? Maybe I should do research on it, but I am writing the story as if it has just died and not blown up. Could it turn into a black hole, because I could make that work...

The moon was replaced by human made things. All you really know in the story is that this world was advance enough that it could cope from the loss of the sun for at least a couple of years. I don't really explain why because that's a bit irrelevant. However the dying of the sun is important so perhaps I should explain it better.

Thanks for the comments.

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Well, a star explodes, losing much of the mass it had. What remains then implodes producing a dwarf or even a black hole. There are some real problems to work out. However, if you can pull it off, you will have one helluva story. I'm intrigued by your idea!

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.