Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The King's Falcon

Author Topic: The King's Falcon
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 lines from the prologue of a completed fantasy novel, The King's Falcon. Any feedback would be helpful as it is currently seeking an agent. If anyone is willing to critique the prologue and first three chapters, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

"Karsh, move out!” the General ordered and turned his horse to the east.
Rather than comply, the boy, who was nearly a man, remained staring the wasteland that was his rightful kingdom. The villagers who didn’t flee at their approach were shadows of their former beings. Eyes were hollow, joyless. Drawn and sullen, the survivors were trapped by fear. Less than a moon had passed since the fall of Isintart, the once proud capital city of this land. Already a quarter of his country lay wasted. Mages ripped apart all that stood in their way. Houses were shrouded in cloth and skins in an attempt to patch their blasted and charred sides. Trying to ward away further misfortune. Destroyed by a war they didn’t know they were fighting, they didn’t have the resources to repair the damage.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have several issues. One is your sentence structure; you have two incomplete sentences, with others that seem choppy.

I'm not hooked. The most interesting thing in this sample, for me, is the boy who is nearly a man and is surveying his kingdom. I want to know more about him instead of the infodump on the ravaged land.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add to Elan, and say that I want to know the POV of the boy. What is he thinking and feeling about the destruction? It may be his kingdom, but how attached is he to it?

And give us the word count for the prologue and three chapters.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of turned off by the way you went from an action and a POV character based statement (Rather comply, the boy, who was nearly a man...) to a background info dump. It'd be different if you did it more directly through his eyes but right here it seems like "Look, heres a character...but wait! this and this and this and this has already happened!"

While some may be able to pull it off, I don't think its a good way to go. Especially since I don't care about the character, let alone the entire world at this point. It seems like every fantasy novel starts with some torn apart mages and poor ravaged villages. Show me why I would want to read your book.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the comments. I've tried to revise it. One of the reasons I kept a lot of his personal detail out is because while Karsh is a MC, what happened is set up for the other MC's issues. Does this work better?

“Karsh, move out!” the General ordered and turned his horse to the east.
Rather than comply, the boy, who was nearly a man, remained staring the wasteland that was his rightful kingdom. Everything that mattered was gone. Well, almost everything. His arm tightened around his sister who was sitting in the saddle in front of him. He’d saved her from whatever spell had vaporized thier parents and Sabbatus’ capital city, Isnitart. Trying not to feel the loss, he scanned the bloated vultures feasting on the dead of what was once a village. With Isintart gone, Sabbatus assumed he and Allana had died with their parents. His half-siblings were locked in combat for the throne. It was likely that one of them had ordered the attack on Isintart. He

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 13, 2006).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you now cycle a contradiction. That is to say, Karsh does comply after a glance back.

Opening with a line of dialog always irritates me, unless it's a pure dialog opening, which this is not. It would also be good if you establish POV immediately rather than assuming we know who will be the POV character.

On a more general note, it might be more appropriate to have this be the end of your first chapter, rather than the beginning. After all, the attack on Isnitart (looks too much like Isenhart, by the way) is the beginning of Karsh's part in all this.

Still, this is much better than what you had at first.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

Thanks for the comments all.

Survivor, the problem I think I have with starting at the attack at Isnitart (and yes, you are right it is probably too close to the other)is a timing issue. This is a prologue because it happens years before the rest of the novel. There is this scene, then a 5 month gap to pick up with other MC (Falcon) who is only 5 at the time, and then a 17 year gap before chapter 1. Karsh does not reappear until Chapter 3 and then he does so under a different name.

Also, there is a whole outline for another story related to the attack at Isnitart. But the reader needs to know about it because the attack sets the stage for a lot of the action in this story.

I had taken the prologue off at one point but then I ended up doing too much telling later to explain why certain things have occurred with Falcon.

So any further thoughts would be helpful.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

Oh. The prologue is about 12 pages (3,281 words) and apparently needs some reworking. The first three chapters are another 7.098 words. And a slight correction, Karsh reappears in Chapter 2.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a prologue is just a mini-story that sets up the main story. So I don't see why it wouldn't be good to start at the beginning of that mini-story, and let the reader get more than a dry summary of Karsh's situation.

Let me get one thing straight. Though this is not the end of the prologue, it is the end (or nearly so) of Karsh's part in the prologue, right? You need to give him more page space. If this isn't the end of Karsh's part of the prologue, than I would suggest making it the end.

You also might want to consider whether introducing the main POV character of later chapters into the prologue so heavily is such a good idea. Maybe it is, maybe not, but it seems to be cramping your actual prologue a bit.

Anyways, think about it for a bit. I'll have more time soon.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with Survivor - if this is a prologue then you probably want to relax on it, not get us heavily into Karsh's POV. There's arguably no need for a POV character at all in a prologue, so long as the writing is strong enough to support the emotions you're trying to convey...

"(Villagename) lay in ruins.

Karsh looked at the wasteland that was his rightful kingdom and tried to decide whether the survivors were the lucky ones, or not. They faced only the prospect of war, of mercenary bands and ragged armies ravaging Sabbatus (that's a name I'd change, too; too close to Sabbat/Sabbath).

Maybe the ones who'd died whin Isintart had been vapourized were the lucky ones.

"Karsh!"

The boy turned, jarred from thought by the General's shout. His arms tightened around his sister.

It was time to move on; time to keep one step ahead of the other squabbling claimants to a ruined throne. Time to find a place to hide; a place to wait...."

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

Thanks Tchernabyelo for the thoughts. I'll rework it some and try again. After all, it takes a lot of editing to make a good idea into a great story. Thank you to all who responded.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.