Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » untitled short story - first 13

Author Topic: untitled short story - first 13
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi - this is a short story in progess. I'm at about 4000 words (and trying to wrap it up). The genre is sci-fi and other than that I'll let you read it. Looking for general feedback and wondering if there is enough hook in here... Thanks all

I wasn’t ready to abandon my body quite yet, but I really didn’t know how much more time I could handle in the quarantine station. According to my wall it had been over 400 days since I arrived. Unfortunately, my grasp on reality was getting weaker than a Jovian handshake. Right now I couldn’t even remember if I had already made a mark on the wall today or not. Did I?

I reached over for the punch. Maybe I already marked? Absently, I rubbed my thumb across the blunt tip, my thoughts swirling. Still unsure, I held the punch to the wall and head butted it with a satisfying smack.

You know it’s true that a nice wallop on the noggin really does make you see stars. And they’re quite beautiful

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

The first sentence is good. From then on the information you give could be put off until later in the story. This IS the opening and you have bigger fish to fry here. The quarantine - ok you have my attention. Then you talk about a failing memory and then punching a mark on the wall. My attention is not with you. I'm sitting back wondering quarantine? where? why? Just how weak is a Jovian handshake - never having had one I can't relate to it and don't know. The last sentence does not seem to advance the story at all.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this opening, though I admit that I was smiling - is it meant to be humorous?
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it. I also assume that it is humorous. If so good start. The only thing that pulled me out of the fictional dream was the "Jovian handshake" reference. It would work later in the story after I had an idea what a Jovian was, but here something else closer to home would work better. I'll read the whole thing if you send it.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good start. The quarrentine reference has me wondering, as to the unique way he is marking off the days.

My only nitpick, was that you use the term "I," three times in the first sentance.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The hook in the first line worked for me.

"Jovian handshake" didn't. The high gravity of Jupiter is such that for a long time it's been associated with massive strength, in terms of people bred to live within its gravity well. I have no objection whatsoever to using this sort of simile - "as weak as a blarth noofler" - because the very use of it clearly implies that a blarth noofler is weak, and it adds atmosphere, but in this instance the "Jovian" just conveys the opposite, to me, of what I think you're trying to convey.

I'd read on. And I'd offer to critique, but only when you think it's finished (well, first draft at least). I don't critique things that are incomplete.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I was confused. I didn't know what the quarantine was about. Ditto tch. on the Jovian handshake.

Let us know when the story's finished; sounds interesting.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with everyone else. This first part is quite good. Ditch the handshake and you got a winner.

Chrissie

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the tone you've set, and the idea presented in the first paragraph. Ditto everyone else on the Jovian handshake.

I'm not exactly sure how you would do it, but I'd like a little better idea of what's going on. I'm not sure if this character (guy? girl? alien? none of the above?) is quarantined in a jail of some kind, or because he's a new arrival on a colony planet, or just because it's an alien lifeform picked up by the space patrol.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.