Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Black Widow short story

Author Topic: Black Widow short story
Ico
Member # 3303

- posted      Profile for Ico   Email Ico         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short fantasy story (5000 words) that I'm in the process of revising. If anyone is willing to read the whole thing, I'll happily crit a short story or novel chapter of yours in return.

"The Unfortunate Death of Mr. Weather"

One day I received a message at my studio that the Black Widow wished me to pay her a visit. It is very rare for the Widow to wish a visit from anybody, and the news very nearly gave me a heart attack, for what could be worse than such an invitation? It is like receiving a call from death. And yet, if I refused, I knew she would be offended and might come to seek me out.

In the end, I had little choice but to go to her, and hope she wouldn’t do something so impolite as eat a visitor who had answered to her summons. I was careful to crawl to her web, because I knew too well what hatred she bore towards those who fly, and I kept my wings well behind me as I stepped up to her door and rang the bell.

Her web, I noticed, was as wild and disheveled as ever.

[This message has been edited by Ico (edited March 19, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Ico (edited March 19, 2006).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
"One day..." isn't the best way to start a story. It doesn't pull people in. That's what fairy-tales use. "In the end..." What end? Didn't you just start? Did the person do a lot of debating? Or did they just decide to go for the heck of it? It could use more detail, and less skipping over to the next part. It kinda fell apart. There was no glue. That is all.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

Oh, I should have mentioned... this is a fairy tale.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the first paragraph that ruined it for me. A terrible incident has just happened to the narrator, but I don't feel any of it. I think Choccido was onto something with the internal debate. Your narrator is in a "damned if you do, damned it you don't" situation. The conflict there is the struggle the narrator had with himself about the invitation, and what finally made him go to the Widow. This would be an excellent opportunity to show how awful the Widow is, and when the narrator goes to her, the tension is on.

Or, scrap the first paragraph and begin with the narrator at the Widow's door. As it is, there's too much telling me that going to the Widow is horrible, when I already understood that he was invited and he's dreading it.

One other nit: isn't the narrator wondering why she's asked him over? Surely he must know somewhat about what she wants, and hence, I should know it too. Or, if he doesn't, is it her personality he's afraid of, what he's heard about her? What is she like that makes him terrified?

This nit is minor, but what species is the narrator? I'm a little confused on that one.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x_nikki_x
Member # 3297

- posted      Profile for x_nikki_x   Email x_nikki_x         Edit/Delete Post 
"One day I received a message at my studio that the Black Widow wished me to pay her a visit." I dont like, first off, that you start with "One DAy"Even if it is a fairy tale, I personally dotn think that draws anyone in. SOme people might say that the first words are the most important.
I also dont like that you TELL us that he recieved a message AND exactly whyat the message said. In my opinion, you shouldnt tell the readers that. They want to be showed, not told. So maybe find a way to rephrase that or something so that it doesnt just bluntly tell us that.

"It is like receiving a call from death." Personally, If i was reading the actual book, this would be the point i threw it in the garbage. It doesnt really work. your telling again, not showing.And your not even really using good descriptive words!

"as I stepped up to her door and rang the bell." Im confused. You said earlier you were crawling up her web. Now your ringing her doorbell?

Now this is only my opinion, and some say i critique harder than most. I do think your story has potential, and i think that it could go places. I wouldnt mind reading it all.
email it to me:
animalfannicole@yahoo.ca

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, the concept of this makes me smile. I get the feeling you have a good story to tell.

"One day I received a message at my studio that the Black Widow wished me to pay her a visit."

As others have said, "One day" isn't all that interesting. However, I think you can still keep it if you spice it up a little. Maybe "One day in Vegas" (only I assume this does not take place in Vegas) or "One ragamuffin day" (only use something more appropriate) or anything else that makes this more than just "One day," turning it into a slightly more unique day.

The words "I received a message" are frankly a bit boring. Their tone doesn't quite fit with the slightly over-the-top fairy tale tone of the rest. What sort of messages would the Black Widow send? Your words make the message sound like a boring bit of parchment sent by the fed ex guys. Be creative with this and tell us what form the message is in.

"It is very rare for the Widow to wish a visit from anybody, and the news very nearly gave me a heart attack, for what could be worse than such an invitation?"

Having something nearly give a character a heart attack is cliche. See if you can find a more whimsical way of saying this.

"It is like receiving a call from death."

I'd say either drop this sentence or find a way to make it stand out a lot more.

"And yet, if I refused, I knew she would be offended and might come to seek me out."

Would she really seek you out? Or does she have henchmen that would do it? How would this payment for the MC's bad behavior be carried out? I think you can put in a few little details to make your world a bit richer for us.

"In the end, I had little choice but to go to her, and hope she wouldn’t do something so impolite as eat a visitor who had answered to her summons."

This is a little obvious, though I like the second half of it.

"I was careful to crawl to her web, because I knew too well what hatred she bore towards those who fly, and I kept my wings well behind me as I stepped up to her door and rang the bell."

This I like. I'm finally starting to see your world a bit more.

"Her web, I noticed, was as wild and disheveled as ever."

This confused me. Has the MC been there frequently? I got the impression that he (or is it she?) has not been a frequent visitor based on his/her fear of going.

I think I would be willing to read for you if you think I can be helpful. If you want my feedback, send the story to jas23per@hotmail.com (preferably in a rich text file if you don't mind).

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My thought is that if the biggest problem we find with your story is that it starts with "One day," you must be doing a great job.

But I do find a bigger problem. I don't know what the narrator is. He has a studio, so he's a human; but there are hints at the end that he's a flying creature. The Black Widow is human, because she sends invitations; but she has a web. I don't know if she plans to eat MC, give him a dangerous job, or what -- because I don't know what kind of world I'm in.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Chocolate
Member # 3301

- posted      Profile for Hot Chocolate   Email Hot Chocolate         Edit/Delete Post 
x_nikki_x - Not everything needs to be shown. That would just be annoying to read. Although show not tell is a very useful suggestion, it's not a rule and doesn't have to be followed religiously.

wbriggs - It's a fairy tale! Insects can have human attributes, that's what makes it fun!

Ico, I liked it. It seemed well written, and it flowed well. However, I do think you should give some hint as to what species your main character is. Like wbriggs, I did start off thinking it was human. Although it's fine to have insects with human attributes, I think you should let us know that that's what it is first off. Maybe you could do something like this:

(I'm going to pretend it's a fly, but I have no idea)

It is very rare for the Widow to wish a visit from anybody, especially a fly such as myself, yadda yadda yadda.

Now we know what our main character is, and it doesn't leave us guessing.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

Thank you so much for all the comments! I will keep them in mind when I revise.

Ray - I've tried to keep the intro as short as possible in order to get to the main point of the story, which is told by the Widow herself. But you're quite right that the narrator's fear of her seems a bit odd without explanation... and I think I may have to work it in here somewhere, so that the Widow's exact nature is clear. Will try to do that in the revision.

Nikki - emailed it to you, and would love to hear more of your thoughts on it.

Aalanya - Thank you for the lovely and in-depth critique! You bring up some excellent points that I will try to address in rewriting. And you even brought up some plot points that I need to seriously ponder, and completely slipped my notice before! I emailed you the story.

wbriggs - I agree the world needs to be more firmly established. The narrator is a firefly, which is revealed within the next paragraph or so... but perhaps I ought to introduce the fact earlier. As for the insects sending messages and acting like people... They're very sophisticated bugs.

Hot chocolate - I'm glad you liked it, and thanks so much for the positive comments! Nearly everyone has mentioned confusion at not knowing the species of the narrator. I will definitely have to include that information within the first paragraph or so. I think I may take your suggestion of how to do it. ^^ I'm glad the fairytale style of the writing didn't put you off.

By the way, if anybody does want to swap stuff, I'm always up for that. Thank you again for the comments! I appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Ico (edited March 20, 2006).]

x_nikki_x
Member # 3297

- posted      Profile for x_nikki_x   Email x_nikki_x         Edit/Delete Post 
like i said in my post, These are only MY opinions. And many people say I critique hard. I do beleive that most things should be shown and im sorry if i offended ar made you mad when i said that. It wasn't meant for that.
And and also about my comment about throwing the book away, I didnt mean that to sound rude. i was just trying to get my point across that whatever you had written could be spiced up a bit. I do really like your story and am extremely sorry if i sounded rude!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't critique hard Nikki, you mostly give useless information for how [i][you/i] would like to be reading the story.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Chocolate
Member # 3301

- posted      Profile for Hot Chocolate   Email Hot Chocolate         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

If you like, you can send it along to me. I don't have any stories that I am currently ready to have critiqued, so that's okay.

hotto.chokoreto@gmail.com

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

No offense taken, Nikki. It was kind of you to offer to read the whole thing despite not liking the opening paragraphs.

Hot chocolate -- great username, by the way -- I've emailed it to you. ^_^ If you don't have any stories to send my way just now that's all right; I'm willing to return the critting favor at any time, so whether it's in two months or two years, feel free to send me something whenever you have it ready!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a charming opening, and I might ask to read it sometime soon (oh, let it be soon!). There is a slight problem in that you don't make it clear from the outset that the Black Widow is an actual (okay, fairy tale) spider rather than a nefarious human female. I felt that you fixed this by the second paragraph, and it wasn't like the first paragraph contained anything that would have stopped me dead.

Anyway, keep writing, I'll let you know when I have time.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

Thank you for the comment! It sounds as if you're quite busy, so good luck with whatever's eating up your time, and if ever you have the freedom to swap and crit I'll look forward to having your input. Meantime, I'll be working on this intro.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ico, you might just say, at the beginning, that MC is a firefly. In 3rd person, it would be as simple as "Joe was a firefly." In 1st, it should be doable. "No firefly -- no insect -- wants an invite from *her*." Or, if all else fails, "I'm a firefly."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You might do one better than that even by letting us in on the significance of his being a firefly. "Now a firefly like me is used to getting called by just about any type of bug in the forest, since everyone needs [thing that fireflies do] sooner or later." That particular line might not work, because I don't know what it is that fireflies do and just how much everyone needs it (if anyone).

But like I said, it seems like a charming opening.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, wait, they take photos...duh So maybe the better line would be "It is very rare for [a spider] to wish a visit from anybody, particularly a photographer, for any purpose other than dinner" since what he does is more important than what he is, in this case.
Ico
Member # 3303

Thank you for the suggestions about the opening! I still haven't had a chance to revise it, as I'm struggling with the amount of info to include... but I think your suggestion is excellent, and I will do something very like it.

The firefly is actually a painter, by the way. The insects are quite advanced, but they haven't invented cameras or electricity yet. ^_~

Survivor
Member # 213

On the theory that I have some time, I'd like to try this one then.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.