Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled, Incomplete Story

Author Topic: Untitled, Incomplete Story
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first time posting in F&F, and I just wanted to know if the story I'm working on right now is heading in a direction that will entertain the reader. Any crit at all would be much appreciated.

James saw her for the first time just after the evening reception, the lights cast from the church's lanterns glowing pleasantly in the night. The congregation was still visible in the churchyard, the other boys playing games and wrestling. James hadn't wanted to join them; the games had stopped being as fun, hadn't been fun for some time.

So, when he met her, he was unprepared. He had wanted some quiet time, some time to think about the evening's wedding and reception. So he had wandered along his trail in the forest, the one he and Matthew traveled. Or, rather, once traveled.

"What's your name?" he asked, looking at her in the dim glow of the night's stars.

Thanks.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Your first paragraph has a repeating pattern that kind of annoys me. Now, that is a personal nit, but you might want to think about varying the sentence structure a bit.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Only problem I have is that you're dropping mysteries on us that James knows very well, and you're not telling us. Just tell us! Why aren't the games fun? What happened to Matthew?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

So that doesn't fill you with a greater sense of mystery? Perhaps it drives you to desire more information about the intricacies of the plot...?

I thought not.

Okay, revision to be posted in a bit. Thanks.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew would probably be the groom. But if that's not clear (or not the case) you need to clarify that point a little.

I don't like unrefereneced pronouns in the first line as a general rule, and this isn't an exception. James is seeing her for the first time, give us his first impression of her. Or the name by which he later comes to know her. If you insist on withholding her name till the point in the narrative when James learns it, you create problems. I can see the first one at the end of your fragment, James asks for her name before you tell us anything about her.

The things that James knows which we don't are distractions from the central mystery that James is experiencing, who is this woman (and I don't just mean her name)? You need to keep us focused on that rather than letting us get confused trying to work out other things that you could just tell us.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So that doesn't fill you with a greater sense of mystery? Perhaps it drives you to desire more information about the intricacies of the plot...?

Never mistake mystery for confusion.

Mystery=elements that unfold within the story to carry the plot forward.

Confusion=obscure information that is vaguely referred to but not explained with enough detail that the reader can understand the reference.

Readers want to be crystal clear about everything you tell them. If the MC understands a vague reference, make sure the connotation or metaphor is also clear to your reader.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

I thought I was joking.

Nothing I write seems to be working lately.

Survivor:

How do I rectify the pronoun issue without bogging down the story in details that aren't important just yet?

Should I nix the first line entirely, replacing it with a vaguely similar line but one without any reference to "her"?

Thanks again, everyone.

-----------
Wellington

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
'Graff,

The story line details are important now. We want to know who "she" is or at least what she looks like. Why was he unprepared? What about her was suprising? The comments about the MC hanging on the fringe of the crowd is nice but not necessary at this point. The effect is a bit choppy when you switch between the girl and the games not being "as fun." You get me hooked on the girl. Tell me more about her and his reaction to her. Then you can show that the MC is on the edge of events before he sees the mysterious she.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm perfectly OK with James seeing "her" and us not getting her name till he knows it. Tradeoff: if he uses the name, something like, "James saw the woman he later knew as ..." then we're taken out of the moment. If he doesn't, we have to wait. Or he can get her name earlier, but I bet there's a tradeoff there too.

You might say "James saw the girl" and later we find out who she is. This is very parallel to the first line of Octavia Butler's Wild Seed: "Doro first became aware of the woman ..." Of course, we soon find out who the woman is, and she's actually the MC.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FastCat
Member # 3281

- posted      Profile for FastCat           Edit/Delete Post 
The two clauses in the first sentence do not fit together. I think that they should be 2 sentences:

quote:
James saw her for the first time just after the evening reception, the lights cast from the church's lanterns glowing pleasantly in the night.

I think that the first paragraph might work better as a scene setter:

James stood at the edge of the parking lot just after the evening reception, ...

Then he saw her. He felt unprepared, he had...

Don’t mean to do the rewrite for you but it seemed like the paragraphs were savagely entwined.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Use her name, or James' mental tag for her (on the off chance that she isn't going to tell him, ever).

Remember, you're already telling things out of order by telling us James saw her for the first time before he sees her. So there isn't any reason you can't just use her name there.

Some might suggest that you should use a scrictly chronological narrative here, "James watched the wedding reception begin to break up at the end of the evening...[description of various events]...He wandered along the trail where he'd often walked [destination?] with Matthew, lost in thought. Suddenly he saw a woman/girl/horse? [location/attributes/action] in the starlight."

I think that opening with "James saw [name] for the first time just after [Matthew's] wedding reception" is good because it tells us the function of the scene right up front. We know what's going to be important from that line, so it makes reading the rest a lot easier. On the other hand, it does break chronology, and while I don't worship at that altar, chronology has certain definite POV benefits. It also makes things a bit too easy sometimes. So I'm okay with you keeping it or tossing it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.