Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fields of Barley

Author Topic: Fields of Barley
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a short story (around 10,000 words), but I'd love some feedback on my first paragraph. I've been very impressed at the insights given to others. Thanks for your time.

Dead. ‘I’ve got to make sure to pick up the car at Ted’s, Mark thought. ‘It’s been there all week and I can’t keep telling Ted I’m waiting for my check to clear.’ “Oh Crap!” he yelled at himself. ‘I can’t pick up the car today. I promised Mom I’d paint her garage.’ The promise made weeks ago returned to haunt him, just as his wife had predicted. Sometimes-and the frequency had increased of late-his wife’s uncanny ability to predict his future almost drove him nuts. If only Janie Castleton could predict more favorable events that were to occur to her husband. But for Mark, these “predictions” seemed only to warn of dark days, depressing situations, and miserable outcomes. ‘But,’ Mark told himself, ‘when your wife is seven and 1/2 months pregnant, no is not an option.’

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few small comments...

- After finishing, I still have no idea why "Dead" is the opening sentence and what it refers to.

- Next, is the prediction that promising to paint a garage would come back to haunt him. This doesn't really seem like a difficult prediction to make, so I'm not really feeling the inner Nostradamus in Janie.

- Finally, I haven't the foggiest idea what "no" isn't an option for.

Other than that, it works to grab my attention.

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited March 31, 2006).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm blocked by several small technical issues.

Dead. [What's dead? I don't want to wait to find out.] ‘I’ve got to make sure to pick up the car at Ted’s, Mark thought. [You put some of the thoughts in quotes, and others not (Dead.). The quotes confuse me. Later on he yells at himself. That's in quotes, and it's a yell not a thought.

I'd say ditch the quotes; let it all be his thoughts and perceptions. "Deep penetration," as OSC calls it in Characters & Viewpoint.]

[You might have more than one paragraph.]

... Sometimes- [in MS format, - means hyphen; -- or --- means dash ("em" dash)]and the frequency had increased of late-his wife’s uncanny ability to predict his future almost drove him nuts. [That's a major hook! Let's start with it.] If only Janie Castleton [who?] could predict ...

A man who's distressed by his wife's prescience -- yes. I'd read that.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited March 31, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead.

I've got to agree with the others. The 'Dead' hanging out up here as the first sentences serves no purpose except as a distraction.

I also found the inconsistent use of quotes a distraction.

“Oh Crap!” he yelled at himself.

This just doesn't seem like a line worthy of getting excited enough about to require an exclamation point and yelling. If your character is highly excitable maybe, but this seems the sort of thing you mutter about. With a memory like mine I do a lot of this...

‘I can’t pick up the car today. I promised Mom I’d paint her garage.’ The promise made weeks ago returned to haunt him, just as his wife had predicted.

This just doesn't feel like it's a stretch to predict something of this sort. Unless his memory is a steel trap and it's unusual for him to forget . Furthermore there's no date given on mom's garage why does it have to be the very date and time that he wants to pick up the car. It needs more to be believable.

Sometimes-and the frequency had increased of late-his wife’s uncanny ability to predict his future almost drove him nuts. If only Janie Castleton could predict more favorable events that were to occur to her husband. But for Mark, these “predictions” seemed only to warn of dark days, depressing situations, and miserable outcomes. ‘But,’ Mark told himself, ‘when your wife is seven and 1/2 months pregnant, no is not an option.’

OK his is where you start to catch my attention, seems like you could do a lot with this, but... the no is not an option is jsut sorta out there and I don't see what it connects to.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ditto the dead thing. At first I thought maybe the car was dead. Then I wondered if the MC meant: I'm dead for forgetting -- again. Whatever it is, as is, it's not clear what you are intending.

I won't reiterate any of the other comments, but I'd like to chime in my opinion that I think the intro might be better served with direct interaction with the MC's wife -- however you might see fit to make that happen, of course. This will allow her character description to develop more naturally, as well as (possibly) strengthen the "prediction" hook. But just because I can easily envision a conversation between them to effect this hook doesn't mean I'm right. Up to you.

Good luck.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

Wow. Thanks for the input-it's amazing what one doesn't see. I know the "Dead" thing is strange and by itself makes little sense, but I try to connect the point a few paragraphs later (the guy is, in fact, dead) and he's awaking to the new reality.

The quotes and thoughts do get messy and I need to work on that. And the time lines can and should be clear. Thank you.

AS far as the "saying no" issue, I'll explain. Basically I've found saying no at any time to an expectant mother is not one's best move. Thanks again for the notes.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I don't think I ever would have figured out that the guy was dead. I thought maybe one of his cars was dead, but another was waiting at the mechanic's, waiting for him to pick it up. (Maybe this is just a personal projection of my own, resulting from owning too many old Volvos.)

At this point, I find nothing in the narrative (other than the standalone word, "Dead") to indicate that this guy is waking to the new reality of being dead. I don't yet see that he's waking to anything other than all the stuff he has to do. I think it would be easier on me as a reader if you still explain that he's dead, but do it at the very end of the first page -- something along the lines of, "He couldn't do any of that today, however. He was dead."

I had trouble following the rush of thoughts... but that it was a rush of thoughts is pretty clear.

I now understand what is not an option, but I don't understand why that statement is here. If saying no to his expectant wife is not an option, why didn't he say no to his mother about painting the garage instead?

I'm not sure I can believe that waking up "dead" would feel like this, but since I personally haven't yet died, I can't confirm or deny your notion.

KMB

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

And so I begin again. Let's see how this feels.

Mark Castleton was dead, but that did not stop him from bemoaning the day’s responsibilities. “I’ve got to make sure to pick up the car at Ted’s”, thought Mark. “It’s been there all week and I can’t keep telling him I’m waiting for my check to clear.” However, the sudden remembrance of a promise made to his mother flashed in Mark’s mind and immediately his car problems paled in comparison. Inwardly he cursed himself at his foolishness. He knew he should never have promised to paint her garage, and, as usual, his wife was right. He should have said no. Maybe today would be the day he would start following his wife’s advice. After all, one shouldn’t say no to a woman 7 ½ months pregnant.

Thanks again for those who helped before.

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Much, much better IMO. I'd keep reading (though I think 10k is a bit more than I can commit to currently).

Only one nit. I think this sentence is missing a comma or two (in []): However, the sudden remembrance of a promise made to his mother flashed in Mark’s mind[,] and immediately[,] his car problems paled in comparison.

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited April 10, 2006).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree that this is a better start.

Does the MC realize he is dead? It does not seem all that clear. Perhaps having him go over the laundry list of things he has to do first, then having the sudden realization he is deceased may be clearer and a bit more dramatic.

Just an idea though.

Sounds like this is going to be an interesting tale. Is it finished?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

Yes, Mommiller, it is done, however, I need to re-write a bit of the beginning to match the new opening. I was going for a "just waking up, kind of drowsy, realization of being dead sinking in slowly" feel, so I'd like to try and make that more definite (as per suggestions).

I may need to speed up the process of him realizing he's dead even more. I'm trying to veer away from the "just waking up" sensation that seems to be problematic (or just plain too cliche)which gives me some interesting choices. Thanks again for the feedback.

mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a suggestion, as this story looks to be quite interesting as your MC comes to terms with his status in life, or afterlife as it may be. And I would be interested in looking at it when you feel it is ready, so put me down as a potential reader. The idea you are putting forth has me intrigued.

The decision on whether you want to speed up his realization I guess would depend on how much this realization is an important bit of the tale. Perhaps instead it is a comprehension that something, "just ain't right," in your first 13.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited April 10, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

story sent to mommiller
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Good hook. I'm concerned with plausibility about him going to pick up the car, because I think he's a ghost rather than a mummy or vampire, and ghosts can't drive. Or can they? Or is he some other type of undead? My thought -- from earlier ghost stories -- was that he wouldn't be able to work the controls.

But I'd keep reading.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like you 'new' intro. It's dry and boring. Try going back to the first and make a few minor changes. HE doesn't know he's dead, does he? I mean if he did why would he worry about the garage and cars. Is his wife dead too? You make reference to him as if he's been dead for a few weeks yet she's predicitng things for him almost daily. Or are we supposed to be confused on time because so is he?

Does he wake up at home, in his bed? Start there. Don't tell us he's dead first.I just feel like yes you got to the point and you followed everyone's advice here but you lost the pizzazz in that opening that was you. Show, don't tell.

JMHO
Susanna

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does someone who is dead worry about painting garages? I think I see where you're going - the deathbed peeves over trivial things left undone carried over into death. We assume things that anchor ghosts to the world of the living must be BIG. Like true love, or a desire for vengence/justice. Does the obsessive compulsive spirit fret over lost keys and garages not painted as they contemplate the long dirt nap to come?

However, while this has potential, you never really grab me. From a stylistic standpoint, you run everything together into one paragraph. Makes it harder to break out the MC's train of thought.

You jam four very distinct ideas into the first paragraph: 1)Mark is dead, 2) Mark's post-mortum obsession with pre-mortum obligations 3)Jenny's ability to predict Mark's fate, and 4) Jenny's pregnancy.

IMHO that is one overloaded paragraph. It's as though you can't decide which should lead the telling of your story so you let them ALL lead. They end up elbowing each other aside, leaving your first paragraph graceless.

I feel like you're force feeding me information - throwing out as many story hooks as your first paragraph will hold. Don't be impatient. Tell me a story. Draw me in and let your story unfold naturally.

There's no reason you can't lead with the word "Dead". However, letting the word stand on its own (rather than as part of a run-on paragraph) gives it more impact. For example:

Dead.

Sometimes his wife’s uncanny ability to predict his future almost drove Mark nuts. If only Janie Castleton could predict more favorable events that were to occur to her husband.

However, if you open this way, you have to do something with it almost immediately. You can't let "Dead." languish for several paragraphs or it seems like a typo.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with dckafka that too much is going on here. I'm guessing that Mark died suddenly and unexpectedly and that is why his first concerns are for his car and the garage. I can maybe see the point you are making here, but my problem with that is it is not as interesting as his grief over never seeing his child. Then again, if the fact that his pregnant wife is not the first thing he thinks of is the point, maybe you could be bring that out more.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

First, I'd like to thank you for all the suggestions. They really help.

I'm just going to give a little of the story's outline and perhaps the intro could be understood or improved, or just left alone.

The character goes to bed one night and wakes up dead. Of course, he doesn't know he's dead until a few paragraphs in. Hence the worry over trivial daily chores.

A person is sent to assist him with the transition between living and being dead because he’s not ready to cross over. This person helps him cope with regrets with his marriage, his mother, and ultimately his unborn child.

I wasn’t sure how much “hook” it should have. I like the 13 lines rule, but sometimes, more would help. Maybe with this new info, additional critique would be nice. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maintain POV.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.